The Heat is Tamed!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It actually negates the need for my V-Strom handguards.
Excellent. The V-strom handguards always hit my Cal Sci windshield in its down position when I was close maneuvering.

So when can we get the clamps for these Baker Air Wings (for my FZ1 mirrors)? Inquiring minds want to know :clapping:

Edited: I've just emailed Baker Air Wings to see if they'd offer us a discount for a "group buy." B) I'll let you all know their answer here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran my FJR from the Twin Cities to Reno, then a little further, and then back. I ran in ambient temps from 48F to approximately 120F degrees. Observations on the efficiency of the air wings follow:

In cool temps, below 60F, I shut the wings and enjoyed a quiet, warm and comfortable ride while still in my mesh riding gear with a t-shirt and shorts underneath them. These temps were cool enough that Machmann turned on his heated grips to keep his digits warm. I was comfortable.

From 60F to 100F in dry conditions I simply dialed in the desired amount of air and enjoyed the ride. Combined with the wet vests that Machmann acquired for us for the trip they were absolutely magnificient! A testment to their efficiency was observed as we stopped for gas in Hanksville after a spirited ride up Utah 95 in 105F+ heat. Machmann opened his half full tank and experienced a boiling calderon fuel. His tank was boiling at a very good rate. I opened my tank and pumped in 3 gallons of fresh fuel into a warm but comfortable tank. No boiling tank for the Cobalt Cooker the entire trip.

Above 100F, I moved the wings to a more neutral setting focusing the wind stream along my legs. Above 100F you are dealing with a blast furnace hot wind no matter what motorcycle you are on. I actually ran my windshield up a little higher in the hottest areas to protect myself from the desert heat we experienced. Combined with the wet vest I was as comfortable as I have ever been running across the desert.

Coming home I had 6 hours of riding in 105F with dew points around 60F across Nebraska and Iowa, very humid, with a cross wind of about 25mph. This affected wings performance, the left wing (downstream)caught and delivered a strong stream of air. The right(upstream) wing was muted. Still made the trip more comfortable than without.

After meeting many of you in Reno I am convinced that a drill and tap mount would not be the best for this group. While it would make the most elegant mount it would not be feasible for the masses to mount. I do have a simple two-piece clam shell design for the FZ mirrors and a similiar design for the FJR mirrors. Skyway and I had time to talk at Reno and I am sending him off the designs and samples. He can then work his magic on making them very beautiful.

I am also in contact with folks at Baker on wings specific for the FJR. I will keep you posted on all fronts and will make an announcement here on the FJRFORUM first as soon as we have things ready to go.

All in all I think we have an option here that really does handle the majority of the heat. Stay tuned for further developments. :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Please put me down as a potential customer whether or not there's a group buy. I'm out of the country for the rest of the month and will check back when I return

jim

I am also in contact with folks at Baker on wings specific for the FJR. I will keep you posted on all fronts and will make an announcement here on the FJRFORUM first as soon as we have things ready to go.
All in all I think we have an option here that really does handle the majority of the heat. Stay tuned for further developments. :yahoo:
MNFJR05, I have a Gold Wimg and an 06 FJR. I have the Baker wings on my Wing and love them. I don't have a heat problem on my 06 FJR but would like to add the Baker Air wings. Let me know if any of this will work on an 06, and if you talk to Baker let me know if they have any plans for the 06 FJR. (I emailed Baker last year when I had my 05 FJR about getting some air wings and they never answered me) ;)

During our (the wife and my that is) Deals Gap trip last week I got to playing with putting my hand out to deflect air towards the tank area. I conclude that this is a GREAT idea so I'm one who will go for this. I KNOW it'll cool the tank area where my legs go and that's the only problem I have with my FJR. Keep us posted.

Tom

"Cool" idea.

But honestly, I don't get the fuss. I live in South Florida, where riding after 8:00 am now means 95 degrees and 95% humidity. I put a few strips of foam under the tank / seat interface, and a little more between the fairing and frame, and my bike is cool as a cucumber, tank full or empty. This fix seems so easy to me, am I the only one on this?

-BD

"Cool" idea.
But honestly, I don't get the fuss. I live in South Florida, where riding after 8:00 am now means 95 degrees and 95% humidity. I put a few strips of foam under the tank / seat interface, and a little more between the fairing and frame, and my bike is cool as a cucumber, tank full or empty. This fix seems so easy to me, am I the only one on this?

-BD
This not only cools the tank, it cools the rider, and with my bigass Cee Bailey shield full up. Don't like the idea, don't use it.

Hey, Rad, could you be a little more "direct"?!?! :D
I just get a little tired ofthe south guys beatin' up on us Yankees cuz we don't like the heat. If a simple addition like this one alleviates it, whats the beef? IIRC, it wasn't only the northern exposures that 1) didn't like roasting, and 2)were interested in the farkle.

:eek:

"Cool" idea.

-BD
BrunDog - I had this on my '03. I inherited the fix from the owner before me. Kept me cool, but he stuffed too much under the fairings and they were bulging out so I removed them. But did you just lay the grey foam right under your tank and then squished it down?

I don't have too much of a heat problem, but when the tank goes below 1/4 it does get uncomfortable enough to want a fix. :eek:

"Cool" idea.

-BD
This not only cools the tank, it cools the rider, and with my bigass Cee Bailey shield full up. Don't like the idea, don't use it.

:clapping: Where is the fun in that, I think it is kind of funny to see how everyone reacts to the post about heat issues on the pre 06 models, I for one think the bike is a boiler, but what do I know! :dribble:

if those gold wing deflectors were not so but ugly i might consider them myself.

I did notice that on the wings they have about three different shape and size deflectors mounted in specific areas of their bike/ fairings.

It must work or they would probably not be using them, however the scale to the wings' size is a better match.

I ran my FJR from the Twin Cities to Reno, then a little further, and then back. I ran in ambient temps from 48F to approximately 120F degrees. Observations on the efficiency of the air wings follow:
In cool temps, below 60F, I shut the wings and enjoyed a quiet, warm and comfortable ride while still in my mesh riding gear with a t-shirt and shorts underneath them. These temps were cool enough that Machmann turned on his heated grips to keep his digits warm. I was comfortable.

From 60F to 100F in dry conditions I simply dialed in the desired amount of air and enjoyed the ride. Combined with the wet vests that Machmann acquired for us for the trip they were absolutely magnificient! A testment to their efficiency was observed as we stopped for gas in Hanksville after a spirited ride up Utah 95 in 105F+ heat. Machmann opened his half full tank and experienced a boiling calderon fuel. His tank was boiling at a very good rate. I opened my tank and pumped in 3 gallons of fresh fuel into a warm but comfortable tank. No boiling tank for the Cobalt Cooker the entire trip.

Above 100F, I moved the wings to a more neutral setting focusing the wind stream along my legs. Above 100F you are dealing with a blast furnace hot wind no matter what motorcycle you are on. I actually ran my windshield up a little higher in the hottest areas to protect myself from the desert heat we experienced. Combined with the wet vest I was as comfortable as I have ever been running across the desert.

Coming home I had 6 hours of riding in 105F with dew points around 60F across Nebraska and Iowa, very humid, with a cross wind of about 25mph. This affected wings performance, the left wing (downstream)caught and delivered a strong stream of air. The right(upstream) wing was muted. Still made the trip more comfortable than without.

After meeting many of you in Reno I am convinced that a drill and tap mount would not be the best for this group. While it would make the most elegant mount it would not be feasible for the masses to mount. I do have a simple two-piece clam shell design for the FZ mirrors and a similiar design for the FJR mirrors. Skyway and I had time to talk at Reno and I am sending him off the designs and samples. He can then work his magic on making them very beautiful.

Good news. I already bought a pair of Baker wings so all I need is a method to install them.

:eek:
"Cool" idea.

-BD
BrunDog - I had this on my '03. I inherited the fix from the owner before me. Kept me cool, but he stuffed too much under the fairings and they were bulging out so I removed them. But did you just lay the grey foam right under your tank and then squished it down?

I don't have too much of a heat problem, but when the tank goes below 1/4 it does get uncomfortable enough to want a fix. :eek:
I never lifted the tank. I just removed the seat and the black side covers. I cut a few lengths of 1" square cheapo grey foam from Home Depot, and placed it in the spaces below the tank. I believe that hot air was flowing under the tank, over the airbox, then exiting around the leading edges of the seat and black side covers. So placing this foam there prevented it, and for me anyway, it worked 100%. No more roasted nuts.

I still had hot air hitting my knees and shins, and I experimented by puting masking tape over the space between the frame and the fairing. That reduced the heat there tremendously, so I put some closed cell, high temperature foam (Lowes window air conditioner sealer foam) double side taped to the fairing, and that has been working like a champ.

-BD

Here's what I did with crap laying around in my garage.

Can't give you a performance report as I'll have to wait 'till dark to try them :unsure: ..... someone might see me. :blush:

As I wait for the BakerBuilts....

ugly1.jpg

ugly2.jpg

Before anyone says anything... yes they're ugly and no I didn't leave them on.

Mike

I'm interested when you are ready to sell them. As to their efficacy at 140 mph, I just got a ticket for 70 mph so right now I'm quiet as the church lady. :)