The killing season

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dayum, Don.

I'm glad you were able to use your awareness and miles of experience to pull your own gonads out of the fire.

You might well have saved two lives that day. I hope the real cockholster learned his lesson and came away from that encounter

knowing how badly he screwed the pooch.

Good save. But Hell, it sounds like that SOB looked darned good!

Yesterday I almost got creamed going out my OWN DRIVEWAY. Just as I exited an idiot pulling a camper on the other side of the road crossed right into my side.

There is a great area near here that winds through a gorge that I used to love to go through, but once the squids found it I avoid it now for the very reasons described above.

I did not go 'hunting'.

I would rather focus positive energy to keep us peeps focused and alert, ready to respond with superior equipment and good riding skills.

My ride-in appointment at GP Suspension is on July 29th - this is why. :fuk:
When the years of training and riding experience kick in to save your life you don't want a lack of mechanical capability to spoil your day.

I was riding across rural Minnesota with my brother one fine Sunday AM years ago on our way to Mexico. A lowlife (probably on his way to church) at the last moment swerved his minivan across the solid yellow line on a dead-straight piece of road and came right at me. My brother - 100 yards behind me - thought I was dead for sure. But my survival instincts, general paranoia, and latent riding skills allowed me to execute a 10/10ths double swerve at 70mph around this asshat without losing my bike. Fortunately my brother had lots of time to avoid him more calmly.

Was he homicidal? Did he spill his MickyD's coffee in his crotch? Was he reaching for more Vicodin in his travel bag? - I'll never know and I could care less.

If they really are all out to get you then you're not paranoid! Ride paranoid - it may save your life - it sure as hell saved mine, and it sounds like it saved my buddy Don's too...

So we have it now church goers are all out to kill bikers. Who would of thunk it

My ride-in appointment at GP Suspension is on July 29th - this is why. :fuk:
When the years of training and riding experience kick in to save your life you don't want a lack of mechanical capability to spoil your day.

I was riding across rural Minnesota with my brother one fine Sunday AM years ago on our way to Mexico. A lowlife (probably on his way to church) at the last moment swerved his minivan across the solid yellow line on a dead-straight piece of road and came right at me. My brother - 100 yards behind me - thought I was dead for sure. But my survival instincts, general paranoia, and latent riding skills allowed me to execute a 10/10ths double swerve at 70mph around this asshat without losing my bike. Fortunately my brother had lots of time to avoid him more calmly.

Was he homicidal? Did he spill his MickyD's coffee in his crotch? Was he reaching for more Vicodin in his travel bag? - I'll never know and I could care less.

If they really are all out to get you then you're not paranoid! Ride paranoid - it may save your life - it sure as hell saved mine, and it sounds like it saved my buddy Don's too...

So we have it now church goers are all out to kill bikers. Who would of thunk it
Jes helpin 'em to meet their maker...

Dawg gawn Don! That sounded insane! Glad you're OK. I'm shaking just reading your post.

I wish thoughs that want to ride like they are on the track, would do track days and leave the roads for enjoying the ride.

IMHO nothing is better then doing track days to realize the track is for going real fast, and the roads are for riding on, not trying to improve to 110% on the curves. Just sayin...

After reading all of this, two things: It's not a question of IF, but WHEN. And I ride so paranoid that sometimes I think it takes the fun out of riding! But it IS BETTER than the alternative......

JimO

Last edited by a moderator:
Call it preacher's (grand)kid syndrome - sorry if I ruffled your feathers...

You meet the nicest people sitting on their FJR's - on church pews not so much IME - although my darling wife is sincerely devout. But I wasn't looking to slam anyone in particular - just to make it clear that I don't trust ANYONE!

Wow, that was an impressive save! :yahoo: Hard to say how someone would react to such a situation, but I suspect if it were me, there'd have been a head on collision. :dribble:

My two cents involves the number of riders who get in over their heads then don't have the skills to get out. Of the riders out there, how many actually KNOW how a motorcycle turns, as opposed to just 'doing it'? When I learned to ride, many long years ago, countersteering was never mentioned by name. I was never taught to press on the left grip to go left. I just did it and it worked. Had I got into a panic situation, would I have reverted to car driving skills by trying to turn the bars the way I wanted to go? Thankfully, I have since met wiser folk than I, and have listened to/read their advice.
I was chatting with a guy at work last week about riding. He used to ride a small enduro in his younger years and commented that he didn't like big bikes after riding a KZ1000 and finding that it doesn't steer as good as his little bike. "On the little bike I could easily steer by leaning, but the big bike doesn't want to respond to my leaning." Good thing he doesn't ride anymore! I explained that ALL bikes (including bicycles) steer the same and leaning your body is optional. Went into a description of counter-steering as his eyes glazed over. He couldn't believe it worked that way, so I challenged him to try it on his bicycle. I can't believe how many times I've had this same conversation with people that ride. :dribble:

Good time for a plug for "advanced rider instruction". I've been riding for 38 years but only learned how to properly negotiate a turn in the last year.

for anyone thats never taken a track riding instruction class I strongly recommend it. It's great fun, and much more importantly, it teaches you how to turn the bike. I've no doubt a large percentage of the people reading this thread could not have accomplished the avoidance move described even if they had the quick thinking to try it.

I recently read an article that compared riding a motorcycle with skydiving and scuba diving. No one would buy a parachute or scuba gear and just "do it", yet people buy motorcycles, including some EXTREMELY fast motorcycles, and never take a moments instruction. predictably, bad things happen.

I was chatting with a guy at work last week about riding. He used to ride a small enduro in his younger years and commented that he didn't like big bikes after riding a KZ1000 and finding that it doesn't steer as good as his little bike. "On the little bike I could easily steer by leaning, but the big bike doesn't want to respond to my leaning." Good thing he doesn't ride anymore! I explained that ALL bikes (including bicycles) steer the same and leaning your body is optional. Went into a description of counter-steering as his eyes glazed over. He couldn't believe it worked that way, so I challenged him to try it on his bicycle. I can't believe how many times I've had this same conversation with people that ride. :dribble:
First, major kudos to dcarver for taking evasive action and avoiding a bad situation.

Second, I've had the exact same conversation as quoted above, and more than once. One that sometimes comes to mind was with a guy who claimed he'd been riding for over 40 years and said the whole countersteering thing was a bunch of crap. He said you turn by putting weight on one footpeg, or you could also press down on one end of the handlebars. Yikes. There was another guy I remember who used to say something about digging a knee into the side of the tank, but countersteering was completely foreign to him. *sigh* I guess some people get through life in spite of themselves.

Wow, an incredible save Don. The highway is a scary place as we all well know and that type of riding by the offender is better left to try out on a track where it is somewhat safe.

Just glad your ok and the man upstairs obviously has a better plan for ya. I've been practicing riding the right side as Toe recomends as well and we all benefit from info like your experience. Thanks for sharing that Don and just continue to ride smart and be safe, PM. :good: <><