The oh so famous PC-III

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm reading about something right now. It seems that you can have 2 different maps stored on the PCIII. I'm thinking about putting the smooth map, and then the zero map so that I can switch them easily. When doing long rides, I could switch it to 'zero map' meaning the PCIII wouldn't do anything, and if I need to, switch it to the smooth map.

Only question I have is that they say that you can easily change them, but I don't know how. Maybe you need to purchase something else to be able to do that, i'm not sure yet. There are 3 buttons on it basically.. Low, Mid, High but I doubt those are for changing maps.

UPDATE : It seems that you need to purchase the hub (189$) and the switch, which is more money than I wanna pay. I guess that when I do know I'm heading out on a long trip, i'll hookup the laptop and load the zero map.

As far as fuel use, I'm not sure how much throttle is required to maintain 65 miles per hour but if I remember correctly, the engine runs between 3500-4000rpm at that speed. If the required throttle is around 20%, I'd be looking at a 7% more gas used. If it's more around 30% throttle, then the map says that the PCIII will reduce by 5% the gas used so I'll actually be getting more gas mileage.

I think that it would be really easy to tweak that with a dyno, or even without. Next time I'm on teh highway, i'll look at the exact RPM value at 65 miles/hour. Then, i'll hookup the laptop and see how much throttle is required to reach that RPM and that will give me the exact values I need. I can then set '0' in my map at that exact location as my 'cruise' speed and I'll be using the exact same gas as before. I could even put -5 or -10 to actually save gas when i'm in that zone. That's the beauty of the PCIII, you can fully change that and the standard map actually has lots of zones with negative values so it's making the injectors use less gas

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm reading about something right now. It seems that you can have 2 different maps stored on the PCIII. I'm thinking about putting the smooth map, and then the zero map so that I can switch them easily. When doing long rides, I could switch it to 'zero map' meaning the PCIII wouldn't do anything, and if I need to, switch it to the smooth map.
Only question I have is that they say that you can easily change them, but I don't know how. Maybe you need to purchase something else to be able to do that, i'm not sure yet. There are 3 buttons on it basically.. Low, Mid, High but I doubt those are for changing maps.

UPDATE : It seems that you need to purchase the hub (189$) and the switch, which is more money than I wanna pay. I guess that when I do know I'm heading out on a long trip, i'll hookup the laptop and load the zero map.

As far as fuel use, I'm not sure how much throttle is required to maintain 65 miles per hour but if I remember correctly, the engine runs between 3500-4000rpm at that speed. If the required throttle is around 20%, I'd be looking at a 7% more gas used. If it's more around 30% throttle, then the map says that the PCIII will reduce by 5% the gas used so I'll actually be getting more gas mileage.

I think that it would be really easy to tweak that with a dyno, or even without. Next time I'm on teh highway, i'll look at the exact RPM value at 65 miles/hour. Then, i'll hookup the laptop and see how much throttle is required to reach that RPM and that will give me the exact values I need. I can then set '0' in my map at that exact location as my 'cruise' speed and I'll be using the exact same gas as before. I could even put -5 or -10 to actually save gas when i'm in that zone. That's the beauty of the PCIII, you can fully change that and the standard map actually has lots of zones with negative values so it's making the injectors use less gas
I suggest you PM jashe..he is very happy with his setup.. compare notes..

I really don't have any issues with the day to day riding but the get going fast twist of the wrist seems a little slow and then kicks in. I guess this will fix it but also hear it decreases the fuel mileage. let me know what you think about the overall fuel use.
Contrary to some, I am using the Accelerator Pump software option. So far, I have only run their suggested Street Rider setup with one exception. I set the sensitivity to 75% because I tend to be "racer hard" on the throttle anyway. Two tanks through that setup and fuel mileage has suffered less than one(1) mile per gallon.

The AP program is tough to "feel" in the bike, but you can definitely hear the difference in the drive train lash when nailing the throttle in the 3,000-4,000 rpm range. There is a noticeable decrease in the back-and-forth lash. You only hear one "nail" of the drive train.

According to my calcs, their recommended AP setup yields approximately 0.3 seconds of squirt at 4,000 and 0.4 seconds of squirt at 3,000 rpm. That's exactly in line with what I typically setup on Yami 4-strokes. My typical AP squirt on carbs is 0.35 seconds around here (less than 1,000' above sea level).

I plan on developing a second AP program and map for chasing Grumpy around the mountains conditions. This map and AP will have a heavier squirt with shorter time period aimed at the 5,000-7,000 rpm range.

I plan on developing a second AP program and map for chasing Grumpy around the mountains conditions. This map and AP will have a heavier squirt with shorter time period aimed at the 5,000-7,000 rpm range.
Jeff, Thanks for the review. This is the first I have noticed anything regarding the AP enable feature. I downloaded the enable program and will give it a try tomorrow.

Anybody else use the AP enable?

Just updated the PCIII to include the AP option.

It is a very suttle difference. It is only noticed when you are at Zero throttle and then crank it on. I think Jeff said it well.

The AP program is tough to "feel" in the bike, but you can definitely hear the difference in the drive train lash when nailing the throttle in the 3,000-4,000 rpm range. There is a noticeable decrease in the back-and-forth lash. You only hear one "nail" of the drive train.
The pdf manual suggests two options for Sensativity/Cycles/Fuel - 75/15/20 (Sport) or 90/20/15 (Street). I think the first question when trying different settings is to get the fuel amount right first. I tried the 75/15/20 first and thought it felt a little rich, tried the 90/20/15 and it felt better. So I just tweeked it down to 85/20/10. It doesn't mean that this is the "right" number. I only ran 4 tests. I think the goal of the AP option should be to smooth the transition from 0 throttle to throttle on, without making it more rich than necessary. With this respect the AP option, while a small difference, is a step in the right direction.

I briefly tried the PCIII with no AP, and was impressed with how good the base level map is w/o the AP option. I love the PCIII. :D Four adjustments and test drives around the block in only 40 minutes. I couldn't do that with a carb. Nor would I have the level of adjustability that you have with this product.

Hei Jeff,

tks for execellent service !! The "Fritjofa" runs great on the PCIII and your premapping!!

Have a nice Easter.

Tor

(Norway)

Greetings. I just received a PC-III for my '07

I'm interested in the "Smoothness Map" mentioned here: https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html

The date is circa -04. Is it still applicable to the '06/07 FJR?

Also, My bike is stock except for TwoBros slip-ons.

The bike is surgy 1st and 2nd gear and pops on decel'n. Typical symptoms.

I live/ride in SF Bay Area.

Any recommendations for other maps?

Thanks!

You will be very pleased with the results. I love the Power Commander.Download the Wally Kilburg Smoothness Map, and you will swear you have a new bike.

The installation took less than 1 hour, using Warchild's excellent directions.

https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=10

Quote from Wally

"My bike with this map is dead assed smooth; the throttle is to die for... the bike lags nowhere

and picks up power from any rpm at the snap of the wrist. I hope it's the same for you."

I can vouch for that.

Don't forget to disconnect the oxygen sensor.

Zoltan :D

Yep. I just did my first save map using the "smoothness map" and it failed with an error about incompatible version.

There are two supplied maps for '06/07: zero map and stock map

I haven't found any "second generation" maps on the internet.

suggestions?

thanks

Greetings. I just received a PC-III for my '07I'm interested in the "Smoothness Map" mentioned here: https://www.fjr1300.info/misc/PC-III.html

The date is circa -04. Is it still applicable to the '06/07 FJR?
The maps for the 1st generation FJR's do not work in the PCIII's for the second generation bikes.

Rich,

I have an 06 with the stock map and the accelerator pump feature enabled. The bike runs extremely well. From everything I have read regarding the need to re-jet after mods, slip ons make little to no difference. I would suggest using the stock map, and then only worry if you do more extreme mods or don't like how the bike is running. My 2 cents. I love the PCIII, best money spent on the bike.

I have an 06 with the stock map and the accelerator pump feature enabled. The bike runs extremely well.
+1

Try that combo first on Gen-II bikes. Then move to tweaking the AP parameters. Then finally to the map if you feel a strong need. But I doubt you will unless you live near sea level and also experience temps less than 45F.

Rich,
I have an 06 with the stock map and the accelerator pump feature enabled. The bike runs extremely well. From everything I have read regarding the need to re-jet after mods, slip ons make little to no difference. I would suggest using the stock map, and then only worry if you do more extreme mods or don't like how the bike is running. My 2 cents. I love the PCIII, best money spent on the bike.
Can anyone comment on how a PCIII affects the 'herky-jerky', instant-on throttle response the 06's seem to have? I've looked for some time at a way to adjust this, and have considered going Fred's route with a 12 gauge wire, but I'm very nervous at sticking something loose into the throttle body cam--I'd hate to have it get displaced and cause a throttle lock up.

I really like this bike, I just really hate how hard it is to get smooth cornering due to the 'instant-on' response of the progressive throttle pulley on the '06; Smitty seems to agree that this is distinctly worse than in the 03-05's. Some people thought that a PCIII might fix this without going to Fred's insane level; can anyone give feedback on this?

Can anyone comment on how a PCIII affects the 'herky-jerky', instant-on throttle response the 06's seem to have? I've looked for some time at a way to adjust this, and have considered going Fred's route with a 12 gauge wire, but I'm very nervous at sticking something loose into the throttle body cam--I'd hate to have it get displaced and cause a throttle lock up.
I really like this bike, I just really hate how hard it is to get smooth cornering due to the 'instant-on' response of the progressive throttle pulley on the '06; Smitty seems to agree that this is distinctly worse than in the 03-05's. Some people thought that a PCIII might fix this without going to Fred's insane level; can anyone give feedback on this?
G2 Ergo throttle tube

PC-III

Done! Saved you the "use the Search engine bashing". You owe me one.

PC-IIIDone! Saved you the "use the Search engine bashing". You owe me one.
Thanks Jeff. I did use the search engine looking for "power commander" and 2006, which lead me to this thread. I also saw the link earlier in this thread to the G2 Ergo throttle tube, but I was confused by the tube--there was no description on the website as to what the exact purpose of it was, and it looked like it had a cam on the end (to go on the throttle body??).

For everyone else who thinks I didn't search enough--yes, I am a lazy bastard. I can live with that. :D

I just wanted to make sure the PC fixes this before I spend the $$$ on it! Thanks again.

PC-IIIDone! Saved you the "use the Search engine bashing". You owe me one.
Thanks Jeff. I did use the search engine looking for "power commander" and 2006, which lead me to this thread....

searching for PCIII will yield over 14 pages of posts.

I was not convinced it would do anything for the jerk in the bike (not on the bike) because I thought the most of it was from drive-train backlash, but i was pleasantly surprised, make that ecstaticly surprised that the PC with the 06 map took the throttle response from a digital square wave to an analog sine wave. It is no longer instant on when you crank that throttle. It now responds with a similar curve as any carburated cycle I've ever ridden.

It's the best farkel money I've spent.

Thanks John and others!

I downloaded and installed the pump utility.

I see there is "no magic" combination of the 3 pump settings, but there's an example for a racer and road rider.

What kind of real-world experience did you encounter, and might I expect, with experimenting with these 3 settings?

I'm going to install the PZC11 on the bike and experiment with it for the first time this weekend.

Rich,

Rich, see observations below this is from farther up in this thread.

Just updated the PCIII to include the AP option.
It is a very suttle difference. It is only noticed when you are at Zero throttle and then crank it on. I think Jeff said it well.

The pdf manual suggests two options for Sensativity/Cycles/Fuel - 75/15/20 (Sport) or 90/20/15 (Street). I think the first question when trying different settings is to get the fuel amount right first. I tried the 75/15/20 first and thought it felt a little rich, tried the 90/20/15 and it felt better. So I just tweeked it down to 85/20/10. It doesn't mean that this is the "right" number. I only ran 4 tests. I think the goal of the AP option should be to smooth the transition from 0 throttle to throttle on, without making it more rich than necessary. With this respect the AP option, while a small difference, is a step in the right direction.

I briefly tried the PCIII with no AP, and was impressed with how good the base level map is w/o the AP option. I love the PCIII. :D Four adjustments and test drives around the block in only 40 minutes. I couldn't do that with a carb. Nor would I have the level of adjustability that you have with this product.
Good Luck and let us know what you decide. I might cut the 85/20/10 down to 85/15/10 (although this is so subtle as to be irrelevant). The base map produces such good results, while the AP option only produces a VERY subtle difference. Unless you were looking for it, you might not even notice a difference. Changing from the stock bike to the PCIII is 98% of the change, the AP option is only 1% more refinement.

but i was pleasantly surprised, make that ecstaticly surprised that the PC with the 06 map took the throttle response from a digital square wave to an analog sine wave. It is no longer instant on when you crank that throttle. It now responds with a similar curve as any carburated cycle I've ever ridden.
It's the best farkel money I've spent.
Witness yet another heathen converted to the Church of Our Lady of Smoothness.

PRAISE PC-ah!!!

Yaaay-yah, the misguided verily snatched from the alter of the drivetrain idol-ah. The false god smitten as with a stone!!!

Ohhhhh, JOYFUL BREEZES-ah!!!!

Brother BillyBob

bookad1small.jpg

and HUH we HUH will see HUH the light HUH!