The ONE piece of advice...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ride your own ride.

1) Always ride in a position that allows you to see the white's of their eyes from the car's left review mirror.

2) While riding in groups, teach the pack to ride in each other's rear view mirror.

3) Do not compete with other riders that have greater (or even lesser) skill. RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I told my 20 year old that when he gets tense, flap his elbows. He got that part and stays loose in corners.

The hardest thing that I keep jumping on him about is that his head isn't swiveling enough. Keep your head moving.

I told my 20 year old that when he gets tense, flap his elbows. He got that part and stays loose in corners.
The hardest thing that I keep jumping on him about is that his head isn't swiveling enough. Keep your head moving.
This is a good one. I saw on TV a while back a special on California Highway Patrol training, where they teach them them to ride at high speed through a curve. The instructor said one of the things they really stress is to keep your head up (keep your chin up) and look way through the turn. To go along with keeping your chin up, you want to point it where you want to go. I continually remind myself of this advice, particularly when entering a large freeway sweeper.

It leads to the other important advice to keep a high visual horizon as you point your chin all the way through the sweeper. More than once that has helped me be safe as I see a sea of brake lights around the turn of a sweeper, then notice the car behind me obliviously flying toward me and the slowed traffic. Gives me time to respond.

On this one, "me" must say; "chin up, feet down (on the pegs) ... everything in between is just along for the ride!"

PS. somewhere(?) in my various travels, I ran across a t-shirt in the style of the classic Triumph logo (White lettering on a black shirt) that said; Trust Me! Somehow?, that one made sense to me?

Wish I could find an XXL of that shirt! :dntknw:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's a two-parter. The first part I was told. The second part I wish I'd been told:

You can go as fast as you want as long as you stay on your side of the road. If you have to use your brakes you're going too fast.

When riding twisties, DO NOT fixate on the rider ahead of you, especially going into a blind turn. (that almost got me into a crash early on till I 'got' it!)Some good advice from a long time rider that still lives up the street from my parents that rode wheelies up that same street when I was a kid in the late 60's was to buy a bike and just leave it stock and then ride the piss out of it.

He also said to try and develop that 6th sense of anticipating the cagers moves on the road too.

I probably should have been told to build a larger garage too. ;)
Save up all your money and get a girlfriend like Zorlac's avatar