The Perfect Stable (and other myths of the modern motorcycle world)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So here's a rhetorical question to while away some of the currently crappy weather on...

We often talk about what the perfect bike is... (hint: It's the FJR, duh!) and there is that running thread about what the sexiest sportbikes are (still seems up for grabs, I think). And then there are those rare dirty bike rider threads that come up occasionally on here... Many of us have other desires than just the one the bike of this forum is focused on.

I've often heard people say that if they could only have one bike it would be... (fill in the blank).

But what about if you could fill up your garage with bikes? What bikes would you want to own to cover all of the types of riding that you participate in?

For the sake of this exercise, and so that nobody strains a brain muscle, let's limit the hypothetical stable to just three bikes, one of which s an FJR, because... well this is the FJR Forum right? So we should all be able to agree that the FJR is one of the three "must have" bikes in the garage. And of course, money is no object.

So, you first name the activity you like, and then the bike you'd want to fulfill that need, like in this example:

2-up Sport-Touring and longer distance vacation rides - Yamaha FJR1300

Solo longer distance Adventure rides - BMW R1150GSA

Serious off road oriented dual sporting - KTM 690 Enduro

The above is just an example. Obviously these are not the bikes already in my stable (I only wish!!) but it does cover the genres of riding that I like, and should give you an idea of the format.
Note that the bikes do not have to be current production (i.e. I'd rather have a nice R1150 than one of the current 1200 GS bikes) and the types of riding are completely up to you!! If you want three sport touring bikes 'cause that's all you like to do... just say so.

So, tell us. What is your perfect stable?

Last edited by a moderator:
08 FJR1300 Because I like to go to far away places

2011 Ducati 848 EVO Sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't.

Triumph Tiger 800 XC Just because.

FJR for medium/long rides solo or 2 up

Aprilia RSV4 for communting/short rides solo

Possibly a Hondapottumus for 2 up super long rides.

I have no idea under what circumstances Id ride the Hondapottumus over the FJR...maybe 2 weeks or more touring?

2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 for Sport Touring. Oh wait just a damn minute, I own one of these don't I! Having a RadioHowie moment!

Another 1974 BMW R90S to replace mien Dieter, which I never, ever should have sold: Whenever I want to ride down memory lane!

A 1948 Vincent Black Shadow: Have you ever heard a Vincent V-Twin going up through the gears, totally fecking orgasmic Hombre!

Shadow1.jpg

Right now I'll take beemerdons stable(as soon as he get's the Vincent BS) all kidding aside, I think this could change on any givin day but

1) 2013 FJR( wink,wink,nudge,nudge say no more, say no more) It's a great platform for sport touring that has still alot of future potential

2) I alway's wanted a Ducati so 1199 it is

3) although it would be somewhat outdated now (technology wise) I would love to have the Penton Jackpiner back.

I already have two, the FJR and the Trident and like Don a Vincent would be cool. If I'm going to start rolling them again I'd prefer it to be a Lighting.

The Trident I'd like to find a Rob North frame and build a Slipprey Sam with lights. But again that would mean I was picking up bad habbits again. I think I'll just fab some rearsets and find a set Ceriani front forks and some aluminum rims.

So to be reallistic as I have very little brains and less money I'll go with this;

My 07 Black Cherry hopefully will run as long as I do.

The Trident with the Rearsets, Ceriani Front Forks and the Aluminum Rims. Plus a big infusion of cash and day dreaming.

Wee Strom as I want to get into the Artic before I have to give it up, at least it's a V-Twin.

Well, this could change anytime but.

First FJR, maybe a gen 3

Second a Triumph 800 tiger xc or BMW 800.

Third would be a Honda 750 or 900 retro cafe, no a CBX.

Gen III FJR for sport touring - yep, I'm jealous of the new generation

2012 Aprillia Tuono for commuting and general hooliganism - this will most likely be my next bike

A dual sport that hasn't been made yet - has to be light weight, comfortable enough for long day riding, a 300 mile range, a seat height that allows me to at least get one foot on the ground and off road competent.

My GEN II FJR for one-up SPORT touring.

Gotta have a new 'wing for two-up touring and comfort...traxxion equipped!

Big bad-assed adventure bike...currently jonesing for a KTM 1190.
dribble.gif

Money no object...

--G

So here's a rhetorical question to while away some of the currently crappy weather on...

We often talk about what the perfect bike is... (hint: It's the FJR, duh!) and there is that running thread about what the sexiest sportbikes are (still seems up for grabs, I think). And then there are those rare dirty bike rider threads that come up occasionally on here... Many of us have other desires than just the one the bike of this forum is focused on.

I've often heard people say that if they could only have one bike it would be... (fill in the blank).

But what about if you could fill up your garage with bikes? What bikes would you want to own to cover all of the types of riding that you participate in?

For the sake of this exercise, and so that nobody strains a brain muscle, let's limit the hypothetical stable to just three bikes, one of which s an FJR, because... well this is the FJR Forum right? So we should all be able to agree that the FJR is one of the three "must have" bikes in the garage. And of course, money is no object.

So, you first name the activity you like, and then the bike you'd want to fulfill that need, like in this example:

2-up Sport-Touring and longer distance vacation rides - Yamaha FJR1300

Solo longer distance Adventure rides - BMW R1150GSA

Serious off road oriented dual sporting - KTM 690 Enduro

The above is just an example. Obviously these are not the bikes already in my stable (I only wish!!) but it does cover the genres of riding that I like, and should give you an idea of the format.

Note that the bikes do not have to be current production (i.e. I'd rather have a nice R1150 than one of the current 1200 GS bikes) and the types of riding are completely up to you!! If you want three sport touring bikes 'cause that's all you like to do... just say so.

So, tell us. What is your perfect stable?
sport touring it would have to be the fjr, no contest.

For Solo longer distance Adventure rides I would take an fjr powered Tenere.

yamaha-tenere1300.jpg

For Serious off road off-road... the WR1300.

yamaha-wr1300.jpg

Yeah, I believe that would do the trick.

Three for me would be my FJR AE (I sure wish they'd continue to import them into the US), then my Rocket III Touring (probably actually my true favorite), and then my G650 Xmoto (supermoto). But .... there are more.... the fourth would be the K1300S (for that navel through the backbone thrill) ... I'll stop ....

I am getting so sick and tired of coming home on the FJR after being at an event, or a bunch of twisties or any road for that matter. My face hurts from all the smiling....... so my picks are

Can Am Spyder Sport Limited

Victory Vision

Hondapotamus

Guess I'd be upgrading to a '13 Feejer, and do I dare admit it? A Harley. Big ol' classic looking Softail, one of the retro color schemes, maybe cream and red. With a sidecar! (removable). Since money's no object, I'd be able to afford all the Harley-branded gear I'd have to buy. And the shop fees.

And a little lightweight putter for city riding, lane splitting, and maybe a little low-key getting off the pavement (no longer interested in serious off-road riding. Too tough on the old bones). Dunno, a Beemer GS 800, a VStrom, something like that. Maybe a new garage, too.
smile.png
Fun to dream, innit? Thanks for it idea, Fred.

I am getting so sick and tired of coming home on the FJR after being at an event, or a bunch of twisties or any road for that matter. My face hurts from all the smiling....... so my picks are

Can Am Spyder Sport Limited

Victory Vision

Hondapotamus

Troll Alert!! Troll Alert!!

The Feej.

My Honda CRF250L trail bike

BMW S1000RR

My Feej is essentially worthless except to me at this point. So I have been looking at alternatives. In the hunt, Tenere, XC800, GS800, WeeStrom. I love the versatility of these bikes, I hate the lack of weather protection and especially the look.

Oh, and a garage to put them all in.

I'm spending the winter modding up my CRF. I've got a luggage rack and Seat Concepts seat here waitiing to go on. Expecting within the next couple of days a proper skidplate, hour meter/tach and a 13T front sprocket. Will be picking up a rad guard and a set of decent DOT knobbies (most likely 606's). Rick at Cogent is looking at building a decent rear shock. If he does, I'm in on that too. The stocker is WAY to soft and under-damped.

Well, of course a GenIII for the long solo rides
rolleyes.gif
( my SO won’t participate any more
sadsmiley.gif
)

For the scratch the itch ride my VFR1200 shafty does very well, and the FJR (any Gen) would/does do a very good job as well. I’m also very sorry I ever got rid of my 1150 GS. Like to have it back for one more AK trip. My wishes could/would be fifferent If I could grow an inch or two longer legs.
dance.gif
Bottom line though, I'm very pleased/lucky
innocent.gif
like many others to ride what's in the garage now.
thumbsup.gif
biggrin.png

Jennifer Aniston, Denise Milani, Gemma Atkinson...but I'm not sure why you're limiting the list to just three in the stable, I mean if we're talking fantasies here...oh wait..nevermind.

If I could have (afford) multiple bikes, an FJR actually would not be one of them. The FJR is perfect because it fills a lot of roles very well...jack of all trades, master of none. So...

ZX10 (Touring in comfort 2 up)

KLR650 (Peg scraping fun)

Goldwing (Offroad)

I think I got confused again.
rolleyes.gif