The Perfect Stable (and other myths of the modern motorcycle world)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Fred is buying:

A Gen III FJR

Ducati 1199 Panigale S
coinflip.gif
BMW S1000RR

While not quite a bike, it's not quite a car either, a Campagna T-Rex for when the old joints are creaking.

t_rex_esthe.jpg

I'm sure this won't make much sense, especially now that Fred has given me unlimited access to play money. But the three bikes I would love to have are.....

A) my current '05 FJR, refurbished and with 400K on the clock, and with all the memories that would go with those miles.

cool.png
my very first bike, a '75 Kawa 750 H2....mostly because I think I would appreciate that bike far more now. Plus restored old bikes just plain rock.

C) my second bike, a '82 CBX, only this time in full race trim. I think that bike woulda been a riot on the track.

Past loves are always hard to forget.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. My FJR (or another one with ABS)

2. A lightweight dual sport, either a DR350 or a KlXR450

3. This one's a toss up - either (a) a Ninga 300 with ABS that I could truck to the twisties and rail it like a banshee or ( B) a stupid-loud V-Max or V-65 Magna with rear sets for bike nights.

punk.gif

This has turned out to be a more revealing introspection about the respondents than I anticipated. For one thing, it becomes clear(er) to me that not everyone who already owns an FJR has anything approaching the same riding goals. Clearly now, it isn't even close.

Some folks just want varying flavors of street bikes. Others want varying flavors of all terrain or dirt bikes. And then there's those people that want tricycles?
not_i.gif

laugh.png

Someone said the FJR is a jack of all trades... I would disagree. It pretty much sucks off road, even as much as I try to push it there. For a street bike I guess you could say it is a bike that will tour and still not put you to sleep when you are 1-up. Does that make it a jack of all trades, master of none?

Keep the votes coming. Some of them are really good. The suggestions that intrigue me are: Triumph Tiger 800, Aprillia RSV4, the (unobtanium) Vincent Black Shadow, and the Penton Jackpiner for the same reason, the WR1300 (just because) and most of all the 2013 FJR. I wish I had the money I promised you all...
laugh.png

... And then there's those people that want health requires tricycles?
not_i.gif
Being a youngster you haven't had to deal with aging issues compounded by serious skeletal damage over the years. The rider and pillion both have had severe injuries that are catching up with us. If this is the only way we can stay in the (nearly the same) game it's what has to be done. But not too soon I hope, I've got my eye on a Gen III sometime down the road :)

Hmmmm...

Replace my 08FJR With:
Can Am Spyder-
Full Touring Package for two up riding (Tired of looking like the Beverly Hillbillies going down the road cause the wife can't pack light)

IMG_0272.jpg

Replace my 05 FJR With:
2014 FJR'-
Let the bugs get worked out of this years model

Pic (?)

Replace my 05 BMW Dakar With:
Triumph Tiger Explorer-
Just saw one for the first time last week
PC010207.jpg

Now who is paying'?

Fred, thanks for this thread. Like you I have enjoyed the responses.

While I agree with Fred that the FJR is NOT a good off-road bike, and therefore not a jack of all trades, it is the perfect compromise bike. It does so many things so well and can fulfill so many roles that it is just about the perfect One Size Fits All motorcycle. Getting rid of it would necessitate the purchase of several bikes to replace that one.

My list:

2014 FJR- IF it comes in a more exciting color. I know I am gonna get flamed for that one.

BMW F800GS- I want something with off road capability and yes, I love that BMW roundel

Harley Electra Glide- Sometimes I have to travel the Interstate. Sometimes I want to go slow. And the stupid thing has a timeless beauty.

If Fred would buy me a 4th bike, I would like a 1000cc crotch rocket, but I don't want to be greedy.

Gunny that Alan, an excellent list and the T REX is a supurb choice (that can also be had in a full enclosed carbon fiber cockpit with Lambo style doors) awesome suggestion! oh and Fred the T REX are way cheaper when you buy two or more! Thank's Alan Merry xmas to you too!... and Fred

For 2up commuting and sport touring, my 07 FJR

For 1up super sport touring, a ZX1400 with hard bags

For serious peg scrapin, Aprilia RSV4

Someone said the FJR is a jack of all trades... I would disagree. It pretty much sucks off road, even as much as I try to push it there. For a street bike I guess you could say it is a bike that will tour and still not put you to sleep when you are 1-up. Does that make it a jack of all trades, master of none?
I would certainly agree with that. The FJR is not designed for off road by any stretch, so I would qualify my statement by saying a jack of all street trades, master of none. My first bike was an Honda XL600 back in 1983 and while it was fun (hence the KLR650 in the fantasy stable), I decided I liked street riding much better, traded that in on a Nighthawk 650 and never went back to dirt.

I would want my FJR for exactly what I use it for now.

I really want to ride to Alaska with my brother and I really want a dual sport, so a BMW800 GS.

Finally, I want a new (new to me) dirt bike. A WR450 or something comparable by Honda, Kawasaki, or KTM;with a headlight would do nicely.

Oh...And one of these days, I'm gonna buy a K1300S. If I didn't mind spending the money to get one all farkled up, I'd have one already. They're fucking rockets.

That Black Prince was a widow maker. It was mighty hot for the post WWII era. News Flash ... unless you want to just enjoy looking at it, which is a perfectly good purpose, its not going to be much fun. Of course, in my view, everyone should own one at least once
no.gif

I think I can relate. I had always had a thing for the retro cool looks of the BMW /5 bikes, especially the non-toasters...

...that is, until I actually owned one. It was a '73 R60. The thing drove like a tractor with the grabby dry clutch, clunky 4 speed gear box, totally inadequate drum brakes, and archaic engine design. But it looked really nice.
wink.png

100_0555q.jpg

That bike made me realize and appreciate just how far motorcycle design has come in the past 40 years.
wink.png

I love my feej, so it gets top parking spot in the garage but I could live with a GenIII in its place. Next would be something lighter, smaller displacement (so I could use more of the throttle) and still be reasonable comfortable on all day rides. Such as the WeeStrom which I've always been fond of. And for the totally unreasonable category I pick the ZX-14R. Oh, almost forgot- some kind of 250 enduro bike should I ever have time to putt around the trails and pastures of my mind.

DSCN0237.jpg

Looks like we got to the becareful what you wish for part.

Always lusted for a Ducati and finally got one.

Had to relearn the fetal position to fold into the seat.

No plush ride, suspension calls out every little bump in the road.

Heat? If you smell bacon cooking it's You!

The only thing louder than the exhaust is me..............................Going YEeeeeee- HAaaw!