The Perfect Stable (and other myths of the modern motorcycle world)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DSCN0237.jpg

Looks like we got to the becareful what you wish for part.

Always lusted for a Ducati and finally got one.

Had to relearn the fetal position to fold into the seat.

No plush ride, suspension calls out every little bump in the road.

Heat? If you smell bacon cooking it's You!

The only thing louder than the exhaust is me..............................Going YEeeeeee- HAaaw!
airboss, you bastard you have all the fun
thumbsup.gif
...well, I'm not that far behind you...
bike.gif
man_in_love.gif

For the dual sport, I'm not smelling what the others are cooking with piggy BMW's and Tigers and Super Tenere' (or whatever that obesity is called). Those porkers are going to slaughter you after 1/2 day on the trail. God help you if you have to pick it up a few times a day (which any trail rider will attest is gonna happen). Now, if you just want to ride forest roads at 90 mph plus, or it you want to cross the Sahara desert, maybe. But otherwise, I want something that will go 60ish MPH on the road getting me to the trail, then I wan the absolute lightest bike I can find, with very low 4-stroke torque and every skid plate, hand guard, brake guard, radiator guard, etc. I can buy. That KLX450R is like 250 pounds wet and stock. Yeah.... gimme that one.

I am used to big and heavy, my wife is a prime example. Besides I want to be moderately comfy getting to wherever I am going to ride the thing. I need the exercise I'll get picking the heavy thing back up anyway.

I am used to big and heavy, my wife is a prime example. Besides I want to be moderately comfy getting to wherever I am going to ride the thing. I need the exercise I'll get picking the heavy thing back up anyway.
I hope you were talking about a motorcycle in at least one of those sentences above.

I hope you were talking about a motorcycle in at least one of those sentences above.
Of course! The second two were concerning the bike that FredW now refuses to buy for me. Of course if 101stpathfinder is going to just give me that BMW650 Dakar, I will settle for lighter and more maneuverable.
smile.png

Sorry Fred, I get to cheat a little here cause I don't have an FJR anymore...so my new Bonnie gets the first spot. I'll cheat a little more and pick a fourth bike....not for me, but for my wife. She saw a 2005 MV Augusta Brutel ? When I got my FJR and said she wanted it. Not to ride, but to just hang on a wall and look at. So she gets that art piece and won't give me crap for getting two more bikes.

I guess many might opt for some "fully restored" blast from the past.... Vincent's, H2's, CBX etc.... But I don't want a bike I can't get parts for or one I'd be scared to take out of the garage.

So, as I always have had a love a speed and think everyone should own a bike that can scare the crap out of them, my first pick would be a BMW S1000RR. A nice sport bike with almost 200 horsepower would fill the "scare the crap out of me" slot well.

The idea of one of those "adventure" bikes sounds good, but at 5'7-1/2" and a 30 inch inseam every one if them are just to tall for me. So to cover this catagory I'll take a Ural side car rig. Cause how much fun would that be to cruise around town in? They make one that has power to both rear wheels, so a set of duel sport tires and I got me an adventure bike. (The wife says she ain't riding in the side car, so it'll just be for cargo.)

Now ask me again in a few years and I'll likely have different picks....

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap, only 3? I basically have that now with my 08 FJR, 12 Tenere and 05 YFZ (yes it's a quad, but I go to the dunes, and it's my favorite dune vehicle ever!). I am looking for a more dirt oriented dual sport bike (think WR450F, hear me Mama Yama?), and I would like a sidecar rig for taking the dogs with me...then there's the Ducati Hypermotard that I lust after (afterall, Ducati is Italian for "sex on wheels")...