There's a little bit of hooligan in this bike...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many owners on this forum, I unwound one of the throttle return springs down at the throttle bodies. This was a HUGE improvement in throttle feel and cost nothing to accomplish. Search this forum for throttle spring unwind for more info.
Is this something that only effected the 06/07's? My 09 seems pretty tight, but I never hear anyone complain about the newer FJR's on here. I'd like to unwind my spring.
I noticed the extra twist needed on the FJR as opposed to my HD bagger, but it was just day-zshaa-view all over again. When I got my HD bagger years ago, I pulled the stock CV Kehin carb and installed a Mikuni flat slide. I thought the increase in throttle pressure was unbearable. After a few K miles with the Mikuni, bikes with CV carbs seem way easy to twist the throttle on. Now after putting a couple of K on my '06 FJR, I hardly notice the throttle effort. What used to feel too heavy and prone to jerky operation isn't an issue any more. Time teaches the wrist what to do. The more miles you ride, the less you notice it. BTW, lube the cables and make it something you do every-time you service the bike. You'll be amazed how much difference it makes.

Just to reply to myself (and if I don't stop that, will I go blind?) in case anyone else hits the same concerns about the suspension that I did (too hard);

When dialing in your perfect suspension settings, start with first checking your tire pressure. After a couple of days of fiddling and being unable to get it so that the ride didn't feel so busy, I checked the tire pressure completely on an unrelated whim and found the front tire hovering close to 50psi, with the rear sitting at 42 <facepalm>

Alrighty then... so back to HaulinAshe's settings (now in a note in Evernote in my iPhone so I can refer to it), drop the tire pressure to where it's supposed to be, out for a ride and VOILA. OK, the light suddenly dawns, the ride doesn't feel so ridiculously busy over St. Louis's wonderful roads and I am FAR more comfortable with my new ride. My girlfriend comes along for a couple of rides and comments how nice the bike is compared to the GS... everyone's happy :)

The bike still dives more than I think it should on braking, but this is something I think I'll just get used to. It doesn't feel bad, just a little unexpected to me... and it's nowhere near as bad as the GS was!

Approaching a week now, and I'm still REALLY happy with the bike. Even more so, now. For this week I'll ride it when I can, and maybe this weekend I'll tear into it, change the oil and replace those heated grips with the ridiculous controls with another aftermarket set I purchased for my Connie but never installed. Woohoo! Let the farkling commence :)

Nice lookin' bike there, SC. I'm a fan of the Black Cherry colo(u)r. If I were ever forced into buying a 2nd gen, I'd probably go with one of them. :rolleyes:

But I'm afraid I'm so smitten with my Bass Bote Blue that day is highly unlikely to ever happen. :p

Hey, you didn't happen to look at that K1200RS there in the background of the Gateway glamor shots, did ya? I've always had a weak spot for those bikes. Nowhere near as versatile or comfy as a Feejer, but they do have some giddy-up and sexy good looks. If it weren't for those crappy final drives... :glare:

Edit: The heated grips with the controller that you describe are Oxford grips. The grips are actually very good at the heating business, but I agree the controller they include is less so. I just put a pair of these on my V-strom so I know what you mean about hard to see the led lights.

The solution is pretty simple: Replace that push button controller with a Warm'nsafe Heatroller and keep the heated grips. They make one model for grips that can be easily installed in a panel on the FJR. It gives you an infinitely variable rotary control knob and an LED that flashes based on the pulse width modulation time of the control. Works great. Highly recommended. Just be sure to goop up the back side of the control unit with some silicone sealer/RTV as they tend to go wonky from moisture infiltration in heavy rain and turn themselves to full on when you want them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also a new member of this forum and new to the FJRs. I purchased a 2009 FJR here in Montreal on the 15th April of this year (2011). It had less than 4000 km on it and got it for under market value! So I am a very happy camper! Like many of you mentioned, I also get goose bumps when I see it parked out front! It is a fine looking machine, and a great ride!

BTW FNG, if you ever purchase another seat, I'd be interested in your Corbin. I could use another 1/2 or so ...

BTW FNG, if you ever purchase another seat, I'd be interested in your Corbin. I could use another 1/2 or so ...
Rheal, FNG, is your forum title/classification as well. You can guess as to what that acronym stands for. ;) There are alot of FNGs on this board.

You should probably address the person by there forum name...which is above that forum title/classification...otherwise, they won't know who you're talking to.

Replying to myself again... as promised I have a photo of myself taken this weekend astride my new ride. This is the only one that really came out good, unfortunately.

Photo%20May%2007%2C%2016%2006%2010%20%282%29.jpg

I cropped a version of it and made it my avatar. Here's to many more miles on this wonderful machine :)

BTW, about ten minutes after this was taken I was in a pretty hard corner with my girlfriend on the back when I hit some gravel with the front wheel. Despite an "oh hell" moment, the bike recovered beautifully. This bike really does handle predictably even in unpredictable situations. I love it!

The FJR throttle spring is tight, but for short trips of 30 minutes or less you won't even notice it after a couple of weeks. And for longer trips you are going to want a throttle rocker and some kind of friction lock anyway. I have the Throttlemeister and it works great.

Good choice on the 07.