These Are Kinda Noob Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DN325Ci

Reaction score
Gents,

I'm thinking about FJR's. I'm 37 now, and my last bike I sold was at 27 for a downpayment on my first house.

So I'm out of the habit, to be sure, though I took an MSF course a few months ago on a Honda Rebel loaner. My history is Interceptors, Hurricanes (remember those?), CBR's and the like.

So the old sportbike stance holds no appeal to me anymore. Any pressure on my wrists makes mine hands go to sleep.

Not knowing what to buy, I rode a new BMW R1200RT over the weekend. Loved the ergos, but hated the 2-cylinder vibration & windup. That bike had the most driveline play I have ever experienced. The difference between trailing throttle engine braking and light throttle application could be measure in minutes. Awful. I also rode a BMW K1200S, which is obscenely fast, but way more sportbike than tourer. I can't take the weight on my wrists.

So I'm thinking FJR might be best. Is it upright? I hope so. I'd love to try one somewhere here in central Ohio, but nobody has one. I've literally not even seen one. Any info on where I can find, demo & purchase an 06 is appreciated.

Keep the faith,

Don

The RT seating is more upright than the 05 FJR but I did add bar risers. The wind protection is not as good but it goes like stink. The 06, I think, is a little more upright but I think I read the bars cannot be raised???

Don, you'll find the FJR is the best...At least most of us think so.

Yes, the FJR has you sitting upright. I've ridden ST's and sat on the RT (want to ride one though) and you'll find the FJR ergos are a touch more sporty than the other two. And I mean "touch" in a good way....

For a sneak peak you can PM yamaholic who is in the Columbus area. He has a '03. There are also a couple more in that area. I'm sure they will be along shortly.

Hope this helps...Welcome to the community.

--G

The new sport tourers are a great middle ground between a cruiser and sport bike. The FJR has a slightly forward position (how much depends on your body ergos). It does come with adjustable bars but the adjustment is only about an inch. Havent heard alot of people talk about how great the adjustment is. The ST1300 has a slightly more upright position than the FJR but tends to put out a tremendous amount of heat (like some of the older FJR's (as reported by some of the owners)).

Overall, if you looking for a good solid bike , with integrated hard bags (which is a must for commuting), those two bikes are you best choices. There both great bikes that you can have alot of fun on (whether your touring or sport riding). If most of your riding is in town, with an occasional long trip here and there, The sportier bike may increase your grin factor more. I was an st1300 owner untill i got tired of getting cooked when the tempurature reached about 80 degrees. 06 FJR was designed to reduce the heat on the rider. 06 riders are reporting that the fixes worked and have been enjoying all the other upgrades. I loved the st1300 except for the heat issues. Since honda refuses to admit to there heat issues, and have issued no planned fixes for this model, I went with the company that did. Both bikes will give you a more upright riding position than the comperable BMW's (other than the RT,,,, which (IMHO) isnt even in the same league as these two bikes). You also run into the limited dealer network with BMW. I love there 4 cyclinder engine, but not enough to get involved in what it takes to own the beemer. Your just hard pressed to find better sport tourers than what honda and yamaha are offereing.

Hope this Helps,

GreyGoose

Don, you'll find the FJR is the best...At least most of us think so. --G
Gotta agree with Escape. Lots of us oldsters adapted quite easily to its ergos, I'm on my second FJR and would do it again.

By the way George, I keep looking for your comparison of your new 06 to the 04 . Whut up man ? :polling:

I've gone through the same thought process that you have and found the FJR to be just right.

R1200RT - Too touring

K1200S - Awesome bike if i was 7 to 10 years youger...i just can't see myself going cross country with it - Too Sporty

K1200GT - You should take a look at it, but i found it too big and bulky. Once again too touring

FJR1300 - Just Right

ST1300 - Too Touring

Honda Accord...err, i mean Goldwing - Too Touring :rolleyes:

Just reading thru these and the other posts on this board. I participate on a lot of different boards, and love the sense of community here.

So I'm feelin' ya. Perhaps the FJR, possibly with risers, would be the ticket. Really wish I could ride one. I saw a post below that said there was a dealer in Atlanta that had an 06 on the floor. I do quite a bit of travel, and I'm gonna be in Atlanta tomorrow on business. Hmmm....

I was also thinking about the ST1300, and it looks like I could get one of those fairly easily for $11.5K +TTL. But it does strike me as Goldwing-ish and (as petty as this sounds) I don't like the dark red or black they have.

Don

Should you find that you'd need risers for the '06, Skyway and MotorcycleLarry are both at work on them--probably about 1" because of the control line length.

I'm in Chattanooga, Tn, about (2) hours north of Atlanta. You're welcomed to take my '06 for a ride if time permits. I'm also 37, sold my BMW K1200LT and R1 and now have a bike that can satisfy all my street moto needs!

Don, you'll find the FJR is the best...At least most of us think so.

--G
Gotta agree with Escape. Lots of us oldsters adapted quite easily to its ergos, I'm on my second FJR and would do it again.

By the way George, I keep looking for your comparison of your new 06 to the 04 . Whut up man ? :polling:
Well first, who you calling an oldster :blink: Couldn't be me, eh?

The only thing I have for the '06 is the owners manual, saddle bag body plugs and the keys. The rest of the machine is on a truck 'tween Chi town and Seattle.....somewhere??

I'm hoping for delivery late this week or early next :yahoo:

So...until then no ride comparison.

I'll PM you my new email address, Ya still on for WFO?

--G

Gents,
I'm thinking about FJR's. I'm 37 now, ...

So I'm thinking FJR might be best. ...
Get something to get back into the spirit first -- like an SV-650 (non-S model). See how you're liking it, and go from there -- The FJR might be right, but I'd spend some time in the saddle prior to making a choice.

I agree with most of the comments on this thread, but have to take issue regarding the heat on the ST1300. I realize one of the posts above says he had one, but I have had one for 18 months, and I don't find the heat objectionable at all. And I ride it all year around in Houston. Go to the ST board and almost everyone will tell you the same thing - very few people are bothered by it.

And my opinion is not biased because I own one. Mine is being delivered to a new owner later this week, and I have an FJR on order. I just can't let that comment go. I'm looking forward to the FJR, but truth is I've been very happy with my ST1300. BTW, I also own a Goldwing, and I get tired of the "ST is just a scaled down Goldwing" comments as well. They are nothing like each other.

There, I feel better now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode my brother in laws K1200S today and it is mind numbing and adrenaline pumping but it is not anywhere near as comfortable as my '05 FJR. I installed helibar risers as one of the first "farkles" they move the handlebars up an inch and back an inch and a half if I remember right. Anyhow, it takes the pressure off of the wrists and makes it very comfy. Incidently, my bro in law decided he couldn't live with the K1200 and went out and got a goldwing. He is trying to sell the K1200 now. His gold wing is nice but I still prefer the FJR cause it handles better and is easier to wrestle at slow speed. The K1200 is the most responsive bike I have ridden - just a light push and you are turning hard. I imagine it would be easy to overide my abilities on that crotch rocket......but it is fun, fun, fun :lol:

Hey what's up with the wrists? When they go to sleep do you wake them up?Or just let them sleep?

Seriously I has that problem with my right hand, had it checked found it was carpal tunnel. Had it operated on best thing I ever did. Now it stays awake and enjoys the ride. Get your hand checkedit may help :assassin:

Like you, DH and I returned to riding when we didn't have to pretend to be grown-ups any more. The kids are pretty much moved out and it's time for Mom and Pops to play. As befits our advancing ages and desire to travel, we could have got a Goldwing to share. Instead, I got an FJR and he got the K1200S. Each of us prefers our own bike although both are a dream to ride.

If one stays within the law, the FJR can do anything the K1200S can do. It's only at insanely stupid speeds that the BMW is faster. (We're talking go-straight-to-jail-and-do-not-pass-go speeds here).

The FJR has more weather protection, carries more luggage and has smaller payments too.

Jill

All great posts here. I just bought my 06. I bought it without a test ride if you can beat that! ( the dealer said it was an awesome bike and that they are not letting anyone test ride their new ones, and would have a demo if I wanted to wait...I didnt!)

My true love is sport bikes, and I am not stranger to the tracks. but at 36, I aint a kid anymore, and seem to be getting a little bolder as well as older. For me, the FJR is the way to go.

I have a buddy that has a Kawasaki concurs (not even in the same ball park) and another buddy that has an st1300 (feels like a small goldwing.) Ya can't knock a bmw as they are fine motorcycles, but the Pull the FJR has along with handling feeds the sport bike fan in me, and the bags make it very practical. You will need the risers for sure. I also had a problem with my hands going to sleep on it. The FJR has a very heavy throttle. The Name escapes me right now, but I put one of those throttle buddies (or whatever they are called... ya know the palm rests?) and that helped tremedously with my carpal tunnel syndrome. What I thinks happends is that since the throttle is so heavy you end up gripping harder with both hands which causes them to go to sleep.

Anyhow, just go buy one, I doubt you will regret it as it is an awesome bike!

Gents,
I'm thinking about FJR's. I'm 37 now, and my last bike I sold was at 27 for a downpayment on my first house.

So I'm out of the habit, to be sure, though I took an MSF course a few months ago on a Honda Rebel loaner. My history is Interceptors, Hurricanes (remember those?), CBR's and the like.

So the old sportbike stance holds no appeal to me anymore. Any pressure on my wrists makes mine hands go to sleep.

Not knowing what to buy, I rode a new BMW R1200RT over the weekend. Loved the ergos, but hated the 2-cylinder vibration & windup. That bike had the most driveline play I have ever experienced. The difference between trailing throttle engine braking and light throttle application could be measure in minutes. Awful. I also rode a BMW K1200S, which is obscenely fast, but way more sportbike than tourer. I can't take the weight on my wrists.

So I'm thinking FJR might be best. Is it upright? I hope so. I'd love to try one somewhere here in central Ohio, but nobody has one. I've literally not even seen one. Any info on where I can find, demo & purchase an 06 is appreciated.

Keep the faith,

Don
Hey DN if your still contemplating on a bike pick a weekend Fri or Sat. and I'll bring my 05 down for you to test ride. I live in NW Ohio and don't need any better excuse to go riding for the day... :D

Hey Don! Good questions for sure! Here's my nickles worth.

I was on a kawasaki concours till it got totaled by car. Broke my wrist. So I was concerned about how my wrist would handle riding again after surgery with titanium plate and 9 screws. After I could work a clutch again I put a deposit down on an 05 FJR and finished rehab. Kindof took a chance. Soon as I got the bike went out on an 8 day 1700 mile trip. (5 months after surgery) My wrist was somewhat sore but not intollerable. The upright riding position helped. Now I've ridden about 14,000 miles in one year and most times little sore after long ride 250-500 miles in a day.

I'm real glad that I got the FJR. I've ridden a bmw rt1100, good bike but to much of a cockpit in front of me for my liking. I also own a bmw r1100s, guess I had another mid life crisis. :yahoo:

I'm 44, 5'8", 175 lbs. I'm not flat footed on the ground when I stop but I feel the FJR fits my body frame really good. I think the FJR is great all around bike, plenty of power, loves the turns, and I even took it out on a track day.

Hope this helps, nothing like a test ride, but I got mine like most others, on faith. Mark.

Maybe I do have carpal tunnel or something. I also wonder about blood pressure because everytime I have it checked, it is exceedingly low. My layman's imagination of that leads me to think my blood kinda struggles to circulate sometimes. I use it as an excuse to get more salt in my diet. If I lay down on my back and fold my hands across my chest, they sometimes go to sleep too. Is there a doctor in the house?

You know, I probably could jump back in to biking with an SV-650 or similar, rather than an FJR. But I really think I would be bored with it fairly quickly. I just can't imagine putting a lot of miles on a SV-650, though I'm sure lots of people do. I want something I can add an XM radio, audio system, etc. to. So it may be a mistake, but I'm gonna buy something bigger and (hopefully) more comfortable. The whole naked bike craze baffles me. I like my plastic, I guess. My perspective is like flienlow's - my true love is sportbikes but my body can no longer take that level of abuse.

I'mAllIn, I'm not gonna make it up to Chattanooga this time, but thanks for the gracious offer!

LGizmo, I would like take your up on your gracious offer! What are you doing this weekend? Saturday I'm leaving for Cincinnati (my wife is gonna run in the Flying Pig Marathon - crazy), but Friday eve could work.

Anyway, fantastic advice from you guys - thanks.

Don