Thinking about a KLR 650...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, From page 8 of my KLR650 Owner's Manual: Dry Weight: 153kg; 337 lb. My BMW F800GS will arrive at BMW of Scottsdale in October and its out the door price is equivalent to three KLR's. I will be attending the BMWMOA International Rally in Johnson City, Tennessee July 16-19, 2009. Keep my e-mail address of [email protected] You can test my GS!

I had a 2005 KLR (briefly). I didn't think it was too heavy for a dual sport at all. In fact, if anything, I thought it was too light. It's not fair to compare a dual sport to a dirt bike with lights hung off it. Obviously the dirt bike will be far moire nimble off road. But it will also suck big time on-road.

The idea of a dual sport (to me) is that it should be decent at both on and off road. Obviously this is a compromise and each rider needs to find the balance point they desire.

I did not like the KLR on road at all. When I rode my KLR anything faster than about 50 it scared the crap out of me. I was not be comfortable taking that bike on the interstate at all, where you get blown all around by the dirty air-wake from semi trailers.

So I sold it to guy living on Martha's Vinyard (no highways there) and bought my used Pegaso. The Pegaso is the same thing as a BMW F650. It weighs considerably more than a KLR at ~440 lbs wet, and the road manners reflect the added weight. It's great on the road all the way up to max speed. It's a little bit tougher to hoss around in the dirt, but for running fire roads and jeep trails it's great.

The idea of a dual sport (to me) is that it should be decent at both on and off road. Obviously this is a compromise and each rider needs to find the balance point they desire.
I hear you, Fred, and I tend to agree. However, the reputation of many dual-sport bikes is that they don't do particularly well at either on- or off-road.

As you averred to , it comes down to individual preference and a purchaser should really ride, test, and thoroughly think through his options before committing. It helps to know what you need. For instance, I would think that the Strom guys are looking for something more street-oriented. Me, however, I want a bike that is more dirt-oriented and am willing to give up some street comfort... so I'm looking for a KTM 640 Adventure.

Good thread full of good discussion. Just be sure to carefully weigh your options and don't jump into anything too soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 2005 KLR (briefly). I didn't think it was too heavy for a dual sport at all. In fact, if anything, I thought it was too light. It's not fair to compare a dual sport to a dirt bike with lights hung off it. Obviously the dirt bike will be far moire nimble off road. But it will also suck big time on-road.

I did not like the KLR on road at all. When I rode my KLR anything faster than about 50 it scared the crap out of me. I was not be comfortable taking that bike on the interstate at all, where you get blown all around by the dirty air-wake from semi trailers.

So I sold it to guy living on Martha's Vinyard (no highways there) and bought my used Pegaso. The Pegaso is the same thing as a BMW F650. It weighs considerably more than a KLR at ~440 lbs wet, and the road manners reflect the added weight. It's great on the road all the way up to max speed. It's a little bit tougher to hoss around in the dirt, but for running fire roads and jeep trails it's great.
The pre '08's definitely feel lite in the front end at hwy speed. My '01 got better with a fork brace and a Acerbis Supermoto fender but did not compare at all to my friends '08. After his sprocket change to a 16tooth on the front his bike is 100% stable at 80-90mph.

I had an 02 KLR and enjoyed every mile. It took some work to get it my way but the result was worth it. I had Russell build a seat and then I did a little suspension work along with ss brake lines. I never had any handleing issues but I understand if you mount a low front fender it gets rid of the high speed lift on the front end. They built it for 20 years pretty much untouched for a reason. It works! It isn't great at any one thing but it does a lot of stuff very well and is simple to work on.

If I can ever get my neck fixed there will be another one in the garage in short order unless MM2 will make me a deal on my old one.

The pre '08's definitely feel lite in the front end at hwy speed. My '01 got better with a fork brace and a Acerbis Supermoto fender but did not compare at all to my friends '08. After his sprocket change to a 16tooth on the front his bike is 100% stable at 80-90mph.

Good point. The '08 KLR's got a major makeover. I'd still be very tempted to look at a Versys over an '08 KLR.

They built it for 20 years pretty much untouched for a reason. It works! It isn't great at any one thing but it does a lot of stuff very well and is simple to work on.
This sounds alot like what people say about the original Kawi Concours. In fact, I've owned both of these bikes and they have the exact same "unrefined" feel about them.

OK, sorry about that. It just caught me off-guard... :rolleyes:

I've been following this thread because I'm looking around too. I've owned the old KLR600, and a XR650L. Didn't like either on a highway for more than 30 mins or so.

Was thinking about the wee strom or the Versys, until a buddy bought a KTM 990.

He's ridden it to CO and plans to ride it to Mexico. I've not ridden it yet but I look forward to doing so and am giving serious thought to it. I just sold my 400 EXC and never had a bit of trouble with it or getting parts.

Thoughts?

Here's a link: https://www.ktmusa.com/990-Adventure.36.20.html

https://bckgs.blogspot.com/ On my last trip to Mexico's Copper Canyon on my KLR 650 I met some wonderful fellow ADV riders at El Divisadero on the Barrancas del Cobre Rim. Brian, Conchita & Dan from Canada. Great folks, fantastic riders.

https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2147/154874...475679c.jpg?v=0 L to R: Canuckistans Brian, Conchita (playfully holding her cap in front of her face, she's a beautiful gal as you will see in other photos), Dave Cooley from Phoenix, Martin Osete from Guadalajara, Dan from Canada, Melanie and Brian Boles y yo: Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina"; AZ Beemers.

Brian, Conchita and Dan were on their way to South America; and I was celebrating my 59th birthday with my 99th motorcycle trip down into Mexico since 1965! The previous photos of Bahia Kino document my 100th moto ride into Mexico.

rushes: If you've mad skills like these Canadians, then KTM 990 Adventure is for you! Dan is 10 years younger than me and he still has right stuff to handle a machine like this in rough dirt of Mexico and South America. My days have passed!!!

rushes: If you've mad skills like these Canadians, then KTM 990 Adventure is for you! Dan is 10 years younger than me and he still has right stuff to handle a machine like this in rough dirt of Mexico and South America. My days have passed!!!
No mad skills here! My off-road go fast days are about gone. I'm just gettin' too lazy to stay in shape. That's why I sold the 400 and started trying to figure out what's next. I'm wanting a bike that I can ride to other states and explore dirt roads and jeep trails. :thumbsup:

We have a Versys.....(it's one of my favorite bikes). It's my wife's, but I ride it whenever I can. It's a great "do it all" bike.....everything, but ant "off road" stuff. I wouldn't recommend it for that, but for anything else it's hard to beat, (in town, highway, twisties!!! etc.)

If I were to buy a second bike, it would be another Versys.

I can't comment on the off road performance of the KLR since I haven't had it off road,but my '08 seems to do just fine on the highway.I've rode it a little on interstates and never had a problem there either.As a matter of fact I'm on a trip with the KLR right now.Last Saturday I rode it 400 miles from Ohio to Tennessee and was supprised how well it performed.It seemed pretty smooth,buzz free and stable.I've been running the dragon and the Cherahala skyway the last couple of days and again I was impressed with how well it handles for a dual sport.You can definitly scrape pegs on it.I haven't experienced any of the highway problems mentioned in this thread.

No oil burning issues either.

I plan on taking the KLR to Colorado next year and so far on this trip it hasn't given me any reason to change my plans.

At 5 grand it's one of the best deals in motorcycling.I've been considering buying an enclosed trailer and a lot of them go over $5,000,and they don't have to build an engine and transmission for them.

I too have a KLR. It's the second one I've owned. Anway, yes there are some short comings on the bike. However, that's also true with most bikes. I have used mine offroad and onroad. It does well on trails and service roads. I found it didn't do well in sand. As for the highway, I have NO problems cruising. I can comfortably cruise up to 80mph (indicated on the speedo). I certainly like my bike and I wouldn't have any qualms in telling you to get one.

Rick

I've got a '93 KLR650. It's great for trail rides. I keep up with everyone on and off road. It's not comfortable like the FJR but that is not what it's made for. Dollar for Dollar this is the best value out there. By the way, I've seen a few post with the recommendation to test ride before you buy...I have never found a dealer that allowed a test ride or a private that would let me take a bike off road. I know I wouldn't let you take my bike off road if I didn't know you.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=107221 It is neat to see how many people own dual sport bikes on this forum. Friends, please consider going on this trip with me to Zacatecas, Mexico next April. Four people have already signed up and there is space for eight more. Perfect ride for KLR's, V-Stroms, KTM 990, Pegaso; Versys would be A-OK!

Rick: I'm with you, cruise my KLR 80 mph all day long. Heading to Baja for off road, from PHX its 400 miles at 80 on I-8!

Chris: If you can't get a test ride in UT; if you can make it to Phoenix, you can ride my KLR on the Apache Trail; GS for me.

In the interest of "fair reporting" my KLR was used (got it as partial trade for my '01 Concours) and it came with DOT knobbies mounted (Dunlop 606). Those certainly did not help the street manners. It felt twitchy and unstable at any significant speed. Maybe one of the POs had messed with the geometry? It did have a fork brace.

I did not bother to replace those tires or spend much time trying to make it any better on the street because, well, frankly I just didn't like the bike that much. It didn't "doo" any thing for me (pun intended).

It is a heck of a bargain, though, if it fits the bill for what you want.

Fred W, mi buen amigo: Give some serious thought on riding to Real next April. Road up to Catorce is suited for a Pegaso!

Looking at MapQuest.com you've about the same miles and driving time from New Hampshire to TX as we do from Phoenix.