Thinking about adding something for my shop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
This lift is on sale at my local Harbor Freight for $299.99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html

I looked at it and it seems pretty nice. After my weekend of checking valve clearance, I can see how this would come in handy. I do like the idea that this one can be stored out of the way when not in use.

Anybody have this lift, and if so, your thoughts?

If you have something different, please weigh in. I'm not ready to dole out $1,500.00 but otherwise, I'd be happy to hear what you have to say.

Thanks.

Your back will thank you if you end up getting a lift table. The one I have was about $750 and has a larger air cylinder and a better safety latch system than the Harbor Freight model. I like having the air cylinder since I just have to step on the pedal valve that I have and the bike goes up or down to where I need it rather than having to pump. The safety latch is important and you want to pay attention to this feature on any table you buy. Don't go cheap on this feature.

I have a Pro Cycle DT lift built by DirectLift but it is not the easiest thing to move around. Mine has a permanent place in my garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the HF bigger brother to that one, the one that uses hydraulics to lift. I'd almost think I would rather have the foot pedal as there are times I would adjust the height but its not connected to the compressor. I don't leave it connected to the compressor when the bike will be on the lift for longer than a couple days.

The quality is fine and haven't had any issues with mine. Go for it and enjoy!

Like Skooter, I want one of these BAD! I know I saw one in someone's garage and he kept it stored on the floor, underneath his car. So, when not in use, he just pulled the car right over it. Hell, that's almost free storage.

I also know that I see these things on sale at my local Harbor Freights (Yes, Albuquerque has two), and I'd swear that sale price is something like $199. I just haven't sprung for one yet, but one of these days...I'm about tired of sitting on the floor.

Your back will thank you if you end up getting a lift table. The one I have was about $750 and has a larger air cylinder and a better safety latch system than the Harbor Freight model. I like having the air cylinder since I just have to step on the pedal valve that I have and the bike goes up or down to where I need it rather than having to pump. The safety latch is important and you want to pay attention to this feature on any table you buy. Don't go cheap on this feature.I have a Pro Cycle DT lift built by DirectLift but it is not the easiest thing to move around. Mine has a permanent place in my garage.
I have the Pro Cycle DT with XLT and love it.

Thanks for the link on the ST-owners forum. This gives me some more food for thought. I gotta be able to put the bike on the center stand before lifting it. I do plan to strap it down for peace of mind too.

I gotta re-think this whole thing - I'm going back to the store and look more closely at it.

I have this exact lift. Bought it used from a HD rider, who bought one with an air attachment. He also gave me a front wheel chock, that I have yet to bolt on.

The lift works very well, having the removable panel makes rear wheel removal a breeze. There is a safety bar that mechanically locks the lift either fully extended or half-down.

Go for it - your knees and back will thank you. But keep it secret or you will have a 'riding buddy' lineup.
smile.png

001.jpg

Al.

I dunno. Guess I'll voice a completely different view.

Call me a cheap bastid (and you'd be pretty much right) but to me these table lifts just look like a dropped bike waiting to happen. Maybe if I was a pro-mechanic working in a shop all day long it would be a different story, but for the number of times I'd actually use one of these things I think it would be more of a bother than it is worth.

I'm (only?) 55 now, and can still bend over OK. And I've got those foam rubber kneeling pads for saving the knees. Maybe in another 10-15 years I'll look into something like this.
wink.png

'course I'm still spooning my tires on and off, also too cheap to spring for a tire change machine, so take my opinion with a healthy dose of sodium chloride.

I dunno. Guess I'll voice a completely different view.
Call me a cheap bastid (and you'd be pretty much right) but to me these table lifts just look like a dropped bike waiting to happen. Maybe if I was a pro-mechanic working in a shop all day long it would be a different story, but for the number of times I'd actually use one of these things I think it would be more of a bother than it is worth.

I'm (only?) 55 now, and can still bend over OK. And I've got those foam rubber kneeling pads for saving the knees. Maybe in another 10-15 years I'll look into something like this.
wink.png

'course I'm still spooning my tires on and off, also too cheap to spring for a tire change machine, so take my opinion with a healthy dose of sodium chloride.
I've got 11 years on you Fred - 10 years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of buying one either. Your turn will come.
smile.png

FYI: I was surprised how stable this thing is fully extended. I have lifting rings securely attached to a beefed-up ceiling as a safety precaution, but I don't really need them.

Al.

Well Fred has me 2nd-guessing myself. Truth is - he's right. It's not like I ride a H/D michelob-ultra or king of the road or whatever, whereby I spend more time fixing and "enhancing" the bike (er... myself) than riding it. Over the weekend, while checking my valves, it would have been handy. But (fingers crossed), I won't have to look at that for another 1.5 years. Now, if a decent used one popped up for a song, I might pick it up. Otherwise, I'lll think about it some more.

Well Fred has me 2nd-guessing myself. Truth is - he's right...
Now you've gone and done it. Fred's head is going to swell up so much he won't be able to make it through the doorway. I hope you're happy.

He is a Red Sox fan for crying out loud. How can he possibly be right??