Thinking about adding something for my shop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too late, I'm stuck outside now, can't get through the door. Can someone open the garage door to let me in?

Hey!! I am right about the Sox at least once a year, when I say: "Wait until next year!"

But seriously, back on topic, I'd sooner spend the money on a fancy tire changer gizmo than a lift.

At least until I get to be as old as some of the rest of you mooks!
bleh.gif

But seriously, back on topic, I'd sooner spend the money on a fancy tire changer gizmo than a lift. At least until I get to be as old as some of the rest of you mooks!
bleh.gif
If I needed to decide between one or the other I would probably go with the tire changer since I can charge beer money for changing other folks tires. Fortunately I have both so I don't have to decide.
bleh.gif
bleh.gif

Damn kids can find their own money to go to college, I have toys to buy. Hell if I had kids I sell them for medical research to buy the toys.

PS - Just bought a Mityvac kit yesterday to add to the toolbox - another excellent toy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn kids can find their own money to go to college, I have toys to buy. Hell if I had kids I sell them for medical research to buy the toys.
Fitter, I LUV ya, man...well said!!!

But as a correction, the market for medical research bottomed out in '06...kids aren't worth a shit these days. :D

Neither are old guys; a dime a dozen.

Yeah, I need to break down and get myself a tire machine. I've got a new rear for the Feej and a full set of Full Bores for the Man'strom to put on before spring. That bluetooth headset crap I've been drooling over will just have to wait a while longer.

Maybe I can get Patriot to float me a loan?
blush2.gif

Just kidding!!!
rolleyes.gif

edit - I just pulled the trigger on a Cycle Hill changer. NoMar is selling them on eBay now for $485 shipped but they throw in the scratch-less bead breaker attachment. It would have been $510 shipped without the extra attachment from their web site. Glad I checked on fleaBay.

I wouldn't take for my H-F Lift , better qualiity than expected and I've used it for lots of things beside bikes.....

At one point, Harbor Freight sold a m/c tire changing machine for about $100.00. I passed on it way back when and I kick myself in the arse every time I think about it. I've got a friend that lives 500 miles away that has one of these and its fantastic. That No-mar machine is nice, but $700.00 friggin bucks?

Anyone know of a simlar, more cost effective tire machine?

BTW - I've got a set of spoons. Forget it - the tires on the FJR are just too hard to replace that way without destroying the rim finish.

The Cycle Hill changer I just bought yesterday is made by No-Mar and is of similar design, and equal quality, but can be bought for less than $500 shipped here on eBay. In the review by WebBike World they actually prefered the Cycle Hill to the more expensive full-on No-Mar machine.

I've been using spoons forever, and they work. I've never scratched a rim either. The trick is to use cut-up pieces of plastic milk bottle as a rim guard. Just don't lose any inside the tire (DAMHIKT)

I have one of the air and hydraulic lift tables from HF. It's really nice to be able to use air pressure to lift without all the pumping, but still have the manual pump option. That said, I have to agree that it's probably not the best investment unless you do a lot of maintenance. And it's even worse if your garage ends up so filled up with crap like mine (thanks wifey) that you can't even use it. :angry: ;)

Anyone know of a simlar, more cost effective tire machine?
Yeah, build your own:

https://home.earthlink.net/~haraldstenger/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/tire_changer.jpg

(Sorry, but you'll have to click on the link to view the picture because the new forum software results in a greyed out screen when I click the image button)

You can also build your own wheel balancer:

https://home.earthlink.net/~haraldstenger/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/balance_stand.jpg

There's lots of plans, tips and ideas available online if you want to explore the home-made option. All parts I used are free scrap except for the threaded rod and a no-scuff tire tool that make tire changing much easier than using spoons that I've used my whole life.

Breaking the bead is not a problem. I can do that with 3 blocks of wood, my floor jack, and the frame of my pickup truck. Getting the friggin tire off the rim without ruining the rim finish is the problem.

Damm it - I wish I pulled the trigger on that H/F tire changer. My buddy's in ATL is SWEET. Tire's swapped in 3 minutes.

I'll do some internet lurking....