Thinking about taking my teenage son cross-country

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would have loved to have done that as a kid, but my dad wasn't the motorcycle type. Now that I've got a bike, my wife tolerates me riding it, but the kids so far have been (only around the neighborhood). My oldest is 13... so with a little more time I might be able to pleasantly acomplish a longer trip. Course, all mine are girls, so there's a different dynamic at play... it's just different when it's a father and son... I'd do all I could if I were you to pull it off.

I say "do it", for sure! I'm planning a FJR adventure for my daughter.

Some of my fondest memories at 12 and 13 are of riding around San Diego on my dad's MotoGuzzi Commander.

We had intercoms and CB. Funtastic! :yahoo:

BTW, can anyone recommend a site or contact for used ATGATT for kids (girls)?

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on what everyone else said. My son is going to turn 5 in acouple of days and I can't wait till he gets a bit older so he could ride with me. My wife knows already that it is coming and so far is fine with it. She loves riding with me, so maybe it is just a natural progression, even so she know that he will be taking her space on those rides since she does nto ride her self and has no intention on learning. :blink:

I don't have a single picture of me and my Dad on the same motorcycle. But then again, I don't need one. Because what I remember the most about him was how happy we both were riding together.

Take him on an all-day, making mileage trip. Let his ass get sore and do some serious super-slab time. If he still wants to go after seeing the lesser-than-glamorous side of the cc ride, then take him.

Your wife will forgive you, he may not!

Fond memories! I didn't ride on the road much with my Dad, but it was a nightly treat to meet him at the end of the driveway and ride the short distance to the garage. I sat on the pillion seat and little brother sat on the tank.

I also have fond memories of riding in a sidecar. I was allowed to ride on the back of the bike at about 3 1/2 yrs old, while Mom sat in the sidecar, holding the baby. After we dropped him off at GM's house, I rode in the sidecar, crawling to the front to stay out of the rain.

Couldn't get the pic posted, so please try the link.

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b200/Caduceusprn/Jilly.bmp

(This was before helmets were invented) <_<

Is that an old Vincent or Brough Superior?? He doesn't have it stored in an old barn somewhere does He?
I believe it is a Brough Superior. Dad used to look after the bikes in a museum in Yorkshire, England. Every now and again, he would take one of them out for a gentle ride around the grounds of the stately home.

Now that he is retired, he spends all day and every day loving rebuilding vintage bikes. He often starts with a cardboard box full of rusted pieces, then begs, borrows or makes the missing parts. Other than a test ride up and down the street after a project is finished, he doesn't ride any more.

Jill

Yes. Do it. I encourage my kids to take acceptable risks in life in order to live that life. Sheltered kids = John Wayne Gacey when they grow up. Ok, that's probably over the top, but yes... take him on that trip.

He'll remember it forever.

My wife & I are considering allowing our 2nd born (will be 15) to be with his Aunt & Uncle for most of this coming summer. They are building their adobe house on some land located at one of the first few ridges west of Fort Collins, CO. He thinks it will be an adventure out there. I'm sure some of it will be...but mainly it will be some hard labor with some times of respite in the mountains.
He also thinks it would be fun if I take him out there on the motorcycle. I think it would be fun, too. I know of course the possibility that any one of us face of death, paralysis, or other assorted injuries in a motorcycle accident. I am leaning toward taking him after telling him about the risks and all the possible negative outcomes and how that would affect his life...then let him see if he still wants to go out that way. If he does, then I would try to convince my wife to get onboard with the idea.

My wife has accepted that terrible things might happen for me as a result of a motorcycle accident...also knowing that I was going to ride a motorcycle anyways whether she approved or not. For me, not riding a motorcycle would be like not breathing...you might as well start shoveling dirt over me if I can't ride.

My wife has ridden with me for a couple of short rides since I've gotten the FJR. However, my wife does not want to entertain the idea of me taking the boy out there on the FJR. I understand her feelings...I surely do. However, I still want to do it. This would be strictly a 2-lane touring ride...5/10ths all the way. Curvy 2-laners sure, but respectful of my parental responsibilities.

My question is this: Would you do this? Would you do this if your wife mildly objected but objected none the less? Would you do this if she strongly objected - understanding that you as a rider have a greater appreciation of the risks involved?

Give me your thoughts...

Everyone has already said what needed to be said. What a wonderful opportunity, I hope for both of you it works out.

Wheat, you're gonna have to work it out with the wife on your own. But for what it's worth, I've always taken my kids on the motorcycle. Once they are big enough to reach the pegs, and wear gear, and if they want to, then they can go for a ride.

My son and I did a 500-mile day to watch a WERA race. Worth the trip. We had a great time. He was about 12 at the time.

One of my daughters used to ride with me, the other had no interest. The one that would ride now has her own machine, an '06 Kawasaki Ninja 650R, the new vertical twin. Nice bike!

My son rides an '03 Honda 600RR. And my FJR sometimes.

I've always rode motorcycles, since before I met their mother. They've never seen me WITHOUT a motorcycle. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

But, the down side (ain't there always a down side?) is that all three are motorheads. They've always driven manual shift cars, or V8s or both. Two of the three ride bikes.

So, they inherited their mother's good looks, intelligence, and common sense. From me, they got the motorhead bug.

If your wife has a phobia about death or injury from riding motorcycles, well, you could be in for a battle. You have to decide if it's one you want to fight. Lots of people have that same reaction. Statistics, logic, gear, training, maturity, all of these can be shut out by some people that fear bikes. You should talk it over with her. Good luck. And don't get pissed off at her. Phobias can be tough.

I've gone 160 mph on a motorcycle, but I'll be damned if I'll get in a boat. I'm afraid of water. Would that be hydrophobia?

First of all, THANKS for the responses.
So far, nobody has said that they wouldn't...except to keep order in the household. Is there someone out there that feels that way but doesn't want to seem like a killjoy?

PM me if that is how you feel - but don't want to express that opinion in front of the others.

Yes yes yes! sounds like a great ride! You kid will remember it forever!

Just practice riding 2up and work out a set of signals... You'll have a 2nd set of eyes... (Good thing to tell your wife...)

I have a friend from another forum... a few years ago her then 10 year old daughter had a bicycle accident, messed up her front teeth really really bad.... Like this forum, the guys and ladies on the other forum did more than offer sympathy and moral support, they sold tshirts to help her with the dentist bill a bit...

Upshot...that forum had an annual gathering... she showed up WITH her then 12 year old daughter...who now has a gorgeous smile again.

They rode from southern Cali to a bit east of Dallas on her bike... a Yammy 650 VStar, and camped on the way. somewhere about 1300 miles or so one way.....

If you wife wants to talk to her or me, PM me...

The closest i've gotten to anything like that is driving my son from Ohio to Cali for college this year.... with all his school stuff...we stayed in KOA Kabins, and he had a blast...

He is talking about riding the bike I brought out for him back to Ohio at the end of the school year...I'd have to ride out to come back with him of course.... I have the GPS AND the X50 on my bike! :D

He's got the Suzuki 1200 nekkid Bandit...Only 98 rear wheel HP... no fairing, no nuttin...and 500 lbs....<BG>

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
Wheaton

I also took my son on a trip out to the Black Hills last year on an IBA SS1000 attempt. We didn't finish but we got damn close. Pretty darn good for an 11 year old. I won't say he loves to cycle like me but enjoys it enough to be with his dad. That's all that matters. I would say go for it also, but with the lines of communication open with your wife. My wife wasn't really excited about the trip but with the reassurance that we would play it safe she felt good about the fact that we could do something together.

Mike/devanator

My question is this: Would you do this? Would you do this if your wife mildly objected but objected none the less? Would you do this if she strongly objected - understanding that you as a rider have a greater appreciation of the risks involved?
Give me your thoughts...

My thoughts:

Would you do this?

A: Yes. I would and I actually talked to my kids who all declined! They don't like motorcycles like I do, if your son is willing to do this with you, take advantage of the opportunity while you still can. Soon, it will be jobs, girlfriends, and whatever else consuming his attention. Plus, the memories that he and you will create will be lifelong. Make sure he knows you love him (ie tell him) and teach him safety well!

Would you do this if your wife mildly objected but objected none the less?

A: Nope, parenting is a team sport and on something like this, consensus would need to be reached. I'd do a good job convincing :)

Would you do this if she strongly objected - understanding that you as a rider have a greater appreciation of the risks involved?

A: Not sure why you are even asking this. No. You may rule your roost, but you don't have to be an ass. That would just be cruel.

I read an article not too long ago in which some group - college, medical association - hell I can't remebmer, did a study on *regret* by interviewing elderly people. Almost universally, the participants in the study did NOT feel regret for things that they had done throughout their life, foolish or not, but *DID* feel regret for the things they did not do in their lifetime. The things they missed out on or said no to. One of the gists of the article and study, was they people should work less, and play more. Missed opportunities with family *because of more important things* will only detract from the quality of your life, not add to it. When old and knarly and laying on your death bed, will working 60 hour work weeks to get that promotion really seem all that important? Will you then *regret* not spending more time with those around you that are important to you?

Do it. And cherish every moment of it. Good and bad.

How old is your daughter and what size does she wear? I have a Joe Rocket jacket that I don't use anymore... PM me or OrangevaleFJR if you are interested....

Ride safe,

Sherri

I say "do it", for sure! I'm planning a FJR adventure for my daughter.
Some of my fondest memories at 12 and 13 are of riding around San Diego on my dad's MotoGuzzi Commander.

We had intercoms and CB. Funtastic! :yahoo:

BTW, can anyone recommend a site or contact for used ATGATT for kids (girls)?

THANKS

You may want to talk to GEEZER also. He rode from upstate NY down to EOM in North Carolina with his daughter on the back. They must have put a couple of thousand miles on the bike over the course of the week. Judging by her smiles it didn't seem like she was being tortured.

Mark,

I would encourage to make the trip. I've ridden many times with my son who is now 16, and the bonding is something completely different than just hanging out together. I think it is because you are controlling the motorcycle an he is dependent on your skills and good judgement. You just can't wipe the smile off their face when stopping for breaks etc.

I'm here in Denver and the other good news is that when you get in the Ft. Collins area you are right in the middle of some of the most awesome mountain rides in the country! Also, there are a couple of really nice motocross tracks up that way. If he is into that kind of stuff, let me know when it gets closer and I can get him hooked with gear and probably a bike. And I'm on the FJR assistance list so give me a holler if you need anything or want to hook up.

Sounds like it could be a wonderful trip!

Steve