Thinking of AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAGO RUNNER

Reaction score
Ok, I have really enjoyed my 04 but have been thinking of getting a newer model. I have read many articals on the AE but I am wanting to hear from the forum, what the owners of this new "no clutch shifting technology" is worth the money. Also I have gotten used to trail breaking and clutch feathering, on slow speed driving and manuvering, so how does a AE work. YA, I asked my local Yamaha sales person< 18 year old knuckle head who was really good at making S*** up.... I would be greatful for any advise on this decision Thanks

Ok, I have really enjoyed my 04 but have been thinking of getting a newer model. I have read many articals on the AE but I am wanting to hear from the forum, what the owners of this new "no clutch shifting technology" is worth the money. Also I have gotten used to trail breaking and clutch feathering, on slow speed driving and manuvering, so how does a AE work. YA, I asked my local Yamaha sales person< 18 year old knuckle head who was really good at making S*** up.... I would be greatful for any advise on this decision Thanks
Just wait till RangerK9 gets on, he'll talk till hes blue about the AE :D . He cant get enough of it. Seems like a great bike, smooth shifting.

love;

23 year old knuckle head

Cycle World just finished there long term wrapup of the '06 AE. They have an interesting article in there mag this month on it.

I have a 07 ae. I've only had it for few weeks. However I really like it. Its amazing how well and how smooth the system is. I thought I might have a hard time getting used to it, but thats not the case. I'm a happy fjr ae owner.

I would offer .02 worth but have a standard model. Wouldn't it be sweet to have a slipper clutch?

Last month I had an option of buying a 2006 ae (new) or a 2007 a (used 2000mi). The fine folks here offered some words of wisdom to help me make my choice. The final decision was based on the fact that I had no physical need for the automatic clutch and two test rides which convinced me to stick with the familiar--a standard clutch.

My impressions of the AE were as follows:

The system is pretty slick and did in fact work. I did a lot of research before I took the test rides and tried to apply most of the tricks I had picked up (search this forum). I was most concerned about the reviews that pointed out difficulties with 'parking lot manuvers' and I had zero problems--after the bike was fully warmed up. This is where the 06 throttle cam and a cold jerky engine caused some suspense. I took the bike for almost 60 miles playing with all the combinations of throttle and shifting but couldn't seem to get the hang of it. I've riden many unfamailiar bikes and as I stated before in my first thread a coulple of shifts to get familiar with the clutch, trans and throttle and off we go... The AE was not like that. It was jerky from first mile to last. I in retrospce ppartially blame the stock throttle cam. Many members have stated that you have to learn this system and once you've mastered it things get much smoother. I just wasn't convinced it was right for me. That being said, it was really fun to ride. Shifting with the hand it a hoot. Down shifts to a stop was smooth for me, unlike most reviews I read. It has the ability to shift really quickly. If I had some physical need (left hand/foot issues) I would not hesitate. I love gadgets and I wanted so much to like the ae but felt that I made the right choice for me. If you are really intrigued with the technology and do not mind having to learn a new way of riding (not sure I said that right) then give it a go. Again there was nothing rally wrong with the bike.

Just thought I would try to contribute and not just consume. Good luck.

John

Test ride, test ride, test ride... If you can.. You get over to Bham, Al., I'll let you ride mine.

I like it. We rode this weekend and shifting, especially coming into and leaving corners, is great in my opinion.

Slow maneuvering is different, just something you'll have to feel. If Yama offers clutchless-shifting down the road I'll prob. do it over again..

I find the shifting smooth in any gear. Great in traffic..

Good luck...

I love my 06 AE, but I live in an area of alot of stop lights and stop and go traffic. If you like to get on the bike after coming out of a turn, or like to downshift going into one, get the one with the clutch. If you like to cruise and sometimes get on it an AE work just fine.

I have had an AE for about 8 months now. I bought the automatic model because I had moved to an urban area, and any journey now involves miles of stop-go traffic. I still feel that it was the right decision. If you want fine control for parking lot speeds then you learn to balance the throttle against light braking. This gives you the same sort of control which you have with a clutch lever, but it is a new technique for many riders.

Regards

Chris

Only you can decide whether the AE or AS as it is designated in Oz. I bought mine last October and had not even ridden one, I had a test ride on a 2005 FJR, but being a bit of a gadget man opted for the AS/AE.

I now have ove 15,000 klms on the clock and I can't remember the last time I used the foot lever, I am actually that used to it that I mistakenly rode down to the local for a slab in my sandles and did not realise until I got back home.

First impressions were..."Oh shit, do I really want this" this lasted for about 20 mins or two thirds the distance home. I now even forget to change on the TTR 250 and am continually feeling for the paddles to shift gear.

Would I buy another, definately but I think it will take a long time to wear out the bike I have.

No matter what you choose, you will enjoy the improvements in the later model.

Cejay

Just wait till RangerK9 gets on, he'll talk till hes blue about the AE :D . He cant get enough of it. Seems like a great bike, smooth shifting.love;

23 year old knuckle head
Me's love me some me AE! Howitzur is right...the AE is awesome. Lago, being down in Austin, you probably have a lot of traffic (like we do in the DFW Metroplex) and the AE sure helps smooth out the commute in stop-and-go traffic. Just as sweet out on the open road.

However, it is like everything else...it's a personal choice of comfort, functionality and style. If you get up this way...or I get down your way (remember, my in-laws <ducking> live down at Lakeway), you are welcome to give my bike a spin (for a nominal fee of $1000)...<JK>.

Best of luck in your decsion. Watch out for the sub-25 yr olds. They are a dangerous lot (looking over at Howitzur) :unsure:

Rex

RLTW!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this bike. I have the 06AE and am going through my second set of tires with 20,000+ on the odometer. Yesterday, took a trip into town (80 miles) and am always amazed at the smoothness of shifting. It was about 57 degress and it just seems to run and shift better with the colder temps. I have now formed a true passion for the bike but please don't tell the wife. I thought this yesterday: my next bike will be an AE.

I have an 07 AE and love the bike. If I were into track days or felt the need to "race" my bike around, I might go with the manual clutch, but I also would buy another type of bike for that type of riding. For my riding style and for what I use the FJR for, the AE is the best bike I have ridden. I turned in a GL1800 Goldwing for the FJR as I still wanted touring ability but I wanted to have a little bit more sport for my weekly commuting and cruising. The FJR fills that bill and the AE enhances the experience. I am not much of a "knee slider" so the AE does everyting I ask of it and more. As far as the slow speed manuevers, I find it easier on the AE once I leaned to use the rear bake to assist. I apply constant throttle but "feather" the rear brake instead. I do agree that you have to release the spring tension on the throttle to stop the stock "on and off" feeling but other than that I think Yamaha has gotten it right and they should look at ways of incorporating this technology into other models.

I would echo what others have said. I love my ae.

The clutch is a personal preference more than anything. My feej was bought for two reasons: long-distance business trips (500-800 miles) and back-road exploring. In both cases, the ae is really good because after a long day of riding, I don't miss having to grab the clutch lever at a stop. I am quoted in the CW article mentioned above for just that reason.

In my opinion, the CW article wasn't worth the ink, because they said basically the same thing as their first review. Surely they must have come to know the bike better than their initial impressions. Owners told them that "the auto clutch was a strong selling point and remains a favorite feature..." [emphasis mine] But one of the reviewers asked, "Am I missing the point?" I would say probably so. The answer lies in the individual's riding style and his/her personal preferences.

The slow speed stuff is simply relearning some techniques. No biggie, you would be doing it in no time since you're already used to the size and weight of the bike. In my case, the throttle input on my 07 is smoother after the ECU was replaced. Don't know about others, but I'm happy with mine in that arena, too.

+1 GUNNY on everything above

i bought my 07 AE back in august and everyday i come to love it more and more.

before i test rode it i was one of those guy's who laughed at the "clutchless wonder", i am still laughing, but with the AE not at it.

i will eventually get around to releasing the throttle spring and adding the g2 tube, but for now that is still only a very small complaint.

If you want fine control for parking lot speeds then you learn to balance the throttle against light braking. This gives you the same sort of control which you have with a clutch lever, but it is a new technique for many riders.
So, could you burn up your clutch (like Skooter did) the same as a standard model, or not? I know it has a clutch, but does it slip the clutch during low-speed maneuvers?

So, could you burn up your clutch (like Skooter did) the same as a standard model, or not? I know it has a clutch, but does it slip the clutch during low-speed maneuvers?
Yes, it does slip the clutch; you get the speed adjustment by varying the amount of braking. Even on any bike with a normal clutch this is the technique which is taught for extreme slow-riding exercises. I belong to a club which organises 'Slow Riding Days' a couple of times a year. This puts extreme demands on the machines, but even so it is unusual for a clutch to overheat. The highlight is a 'race' in which the rider who takes the longest time to cover a 20 yard course without putting a foot down wins.

Regards

Chris