This is the bike that started it all for Americans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the bike in the ebay ad is as presented, then it is a one of four pre-production models and one of three still in existence. That is these were LITERALLY HAND BUILT. I would say it puts them right up there with unicorns and bigfoot as far as rarity goes.

Without this bike, the Jap 4 could have stayed perpetually in the moped/skooter market. Then maybe we'd all be riding bikes today with 1946 push rod technology and no counterbalancers, rattling the fillings out of our teeth. Not likely, but we'll never know.
I will have to disagree. Honda was already very successful with single overhead camshaft CB series (160, 250, 305) and had introduced the widely successful CB350 in 1968. The double overhead camshaft 450 came out in 1966 and while not a good seller initially, sold very well after it was re-styled (in 68 or 69) to match the CB350. Honda had a history of doing things in increments and nobody expected them to go from a twin 450 to a 4 cylinder 750, especially when the big British bikes were 650s.

I bought my first motorcycle, a Honda 90S, in March 1968. Of course I outgrew it in about 2 weeks and wanted to buy a used CB160 but just couldn't afford it. I was in awe of the CB350 when it came out a couple of months later.
Good points - the smaller metric bikes (especially Honda's) were available here long before the CB750. But those bikes were never marketed as long distance capable touring bikes, or bikes with enough power to really compete with the American (or even British) market. Those were marketed, purchased, and used as commuter and day trip transportation (my opinion) - just bigger versions of the 50 cc putter that everyone "met the nicest people on". The inline 4 became the platform that the metric markets used to compete with H/D, win the world racing events, start a "crotch rocket craze", and most importantly for us, build a bike that could realistically be taken across the county.

One could infer that the natural progression toward bigger and better would have eventually got us here. But IMO, THIS bike is the one that actually did it. Not only the model, the ACTUAL bike. That's what makes this auction so special to me.

MCRider007, I'm not intentionally trying to argue with you, just offer a counterpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's several instances where it looks like the same person bid sequentially. What's up wit dat?

s.gif
s.gif
Member Id: b***b
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $129,950.00Feb-04-14 23:52:55 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $129,750.00Feb-04-14 23:52:53 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $129,550.00Feb-04-14 23:52:51 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $129,350.00Feb-04-14 23:52:50 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $129,150.00Feb-04-14 23:52:49 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $128,950.00Feb-04-14 23:52:47 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $128,750.00Feb-04-14 23:52:46 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $128,550.00Feb-04-14 23:52:45 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $128,350.00Feb-04-14 23:52:43 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $128,150.00Feb-04-14 23:52:41 PST
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
s.gif
( 459
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
) US $127,950.00Feb-04-14 23:52:40 PST
Note they're also 1-2 seconds in succession. Gotta be some sort of robo-bidding.

When I lived in South Africa a friend's brother had a new CB750-4. I thought it was a BEAST. The first bike I bought when back in the States was a 1978 CB750 Four F. I thought I was pretty bad-ass with that thing. It was used and had an 836 kit on it. Loved the bike but it has some 'issues'.

Not too long ago I ran into a guy at a bike meet with a nicely kept 750 and it got me thinking about my Triumph S3 on one. Didn't do it but it sure is a cool bike.

Without this bike, the Jap 4 could have stayed perpetually in the moped/skooter market. Then maybe we'd all be riding bikes today with 1946 push rod technology and no counterbalancers, rattling the fillings out of our teeth. Not likely, but we'll never know.
I will have to disagree. Honda was already very successful with single overhead camshaft CB series (160, 250, 305) and had introduced the widely successful CB350 in 1968. The double overhead camshaft 450 came out in 1966 and while not a good seller initially, sold very well after it was re-styled (in 68 or 69) to match the CB350. Honda had a history of doing things in increments and nobody expected them to go from a twin 450 to a 4 cylinder 750, especially when the big British bikes were 650s.

I bought my first motorcycle, a Honda 90S, in March 1968. Of course I outgrew it in about 2 weeks and wanted to buy a used CB160 but just couldn't afford it. I was in awe of the CB350 when it came out a couple of months later.
Okay, the argument could be made that any number of different bikes "Started it all". But, you would have to just be looking for an argument in the case of this particular thread. The OP was decent enough to bring this wonderful and historic motorcycle to our attention and we could all relate to it in one way or another. Why not enjoy the pics and the story rather than point out how you think the OP is wrong? He was sharing something he thought we could all enjoy. I guess he was wrong on that count.

I will have to disagree. Honda was already very successful with single overhead camshaft CB series (160, 250, 305) and had introduced the widely successful CB350 in 1968. The double overhead camshaft 450 came out in 1966 and while not a good seller initially, sold very well after it was re-styled (in 68 or 69) to match the CB350. Honda had a history of doing things in increments and nobody expected them to go from a twin 450 to a 4 cylinder 750, especially when the big British bikes were 650s. I bought my first motorcycle, a Honda 90S, in March 1968. Of course I outgrew it in about 2 weeks and wanted to buy a used CB160 but just couldn't afford it. I was in awe of the CB350 when it came out a couple of months later.
Okay, the argument could be made that any number of different bikes "Started it all". But, you would have to just be looking for an argument in the case of this particular thread. The OP was decent enough to bring this wonderful and historic motorcycle to our attention and we could all relate to it in one way or another. Why not enjoy the pics and the story rather than point out how you think the OP is wrong? He was sharing something he thought we could all enjoy. I guess he was wrong on that count.
If you (or anyone else) think the JAP Big 4 was stuck in the moped/scooter market in 1969 before the CB750 was introduced, then I have some shares in a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying. Honda had won numerous road racing world championships by 1969 and the Big 4 was already dominating world motorcycle sales under 500cc. The CB750, soon followed by the Kawasaki 900 (which was already in development) was just the beginning of the the Big 4's dominance in the entire motorcycle market. I didn't have to read about this in a book or a magazine article, I watched it happen. I also used to visit Honda shops all the time since there were 3 within 10 miles of my home and they were full of 450s, 350s, 175s, 125s, and 90s. I don't remember seeing any scooters or mopeds.

I will have to disagree. Honda was already very successful with single overhead camshaft CB series (160, 250, 305) and had introduced the widely successful CB350 in 1968. The double overhead camshaft 450 came out in 1966 and while not a good seller initially, sold very well after it was re-styled (in 68 or 69) to match the CB350. Honda had a history of doing things in increments and nobody expected them to go from a twin 450 to a 4 cylinder 750, especially when the big British bikes were 650s. I bought my first motorcycle, a Honda 90S, in March 1968. Of course I outgrew it in about 2 weeks and wanted to buy a used CB160 but just couldn't afford it. I was in awe of the CB350 when it came out a couple of months later.
If you (or anyone else) think the JAP Big 4 was stuck in the moped/scooter market in 1969 before the CB750 was introduced, then I have some shares in a bridge in Brooklyn you might be interested in buying. Honda had won numerous road racing world championships by 1969 and the Big 4 was already dominating world motorcycle sales under 500cc. The CB750, soon followed by the Kawasaki 900 (which was already in development) was just the beginning of the the Big 4's dominance in the entire motorcycle market. I didn't have to read about this in a book or a magazine article, I watched it happen. I also used to visit Honda shops all the time since there were 3 within 10 miles of my home and they were full of 450s, 350s, 175s, 125s, and 90s. I don't remember seeing any scooters or mopeds.
So uh, you really do just want to argue?

Yeah, we know you are really really smart and really really knowledgable. But you are also picking an argument (as usual) when none has to be made. Read this part again, slowly. This thread was a chance to share something really interesting and unique. If you want to turn it into how much you know, how wrong the OP is, how wrong everyone else is that does not see it exactly your way, fine. I am through playing with you.

I apologize to the OP and everyone else for derailing what was a very nice and positive thread.

Certainly no apologies needed on my part. MCRider makes a fantastic point on his last post. Born in 1965, I was hardly experiencing the introduction of the CB750 first hand. My comments are indeed based mostly on my readings, which I suppose taint them toward my bias.

We can agree to disagree - I don't need to buy a bridge in Brooklyn to do that.

Peace, brother.

Certainly no apologies needed on my part. MCRider makes a fantastic point on his last post. Born in 1965, I was hardly experiencing the introduction of the CB750 first hand. My comments are indeed based mostly on my readings, which I suppose taint them toward my bias.
We can agree to disagree - I don't need to buy a bridge in Brooklyn to do that.

Peace, brother.
Works for me! We are all a product of our experiences and that was a really exciting exciting time to be involved in motorcycles. Not only were the Big 4 going after the big street market, they also were going after the motocross/dirt market and bringing out new much improved models every year. My memory might be suspect here, but I don't think the CB750 was initially that big of seller, the British and Harley owners certainly didn't praise it and those of us riding Big 4 bikes were a bit intimated by the cost and size. The magazine testers loved it as did the Honda dealerships because it was a real magnet to draw customers into the showrooms. That all changed with the Kawasaki 900 Z1. The Z1 offered a huge HP upgrade, sold out as fast as the dealers could get them, and that demand flowed over to the other manufacture's' models when buyers could not find a Z1 to buy.

I'll sell you some of the old parts for 100.00 . They will be worth a lot someday.
smile.png

Amazing pictures of the "one off" nature of that bike. Talk about one-of-a-kind. I remember those days soooo well. I was busy running the snot out of my little Honda 50. Me and my buds had a blast on that thing up in the woods. But it all happened so fast. It seemed like in no time at all, the 750 Honda and the 500 Kawi were on the market, the moto mags were raging about our new-found kings of the hill outa Japan. I was in awe of both, but it was the Kawi that caught my eye because it was the first motorcycle ever to break in to the 12's in the quarter mile, as I recall. I wanted one so bad that I couldn't see straight. However that was never to happen, especially with my measly paper route income. And ya remember how cheap they were? I'm thinking the Honda was something like 799.00? Does that sound right? Far cry from what that prototype rascal is going for now.

Just my little contribution from my memories of a magical age in motorcycle history.

Gary

darksider #44

Amazing pictures of the "one off" nature of that bike. Talk about one-of-a-kind. I remember those days soooo well. I was busy running the snot out of my little Honda 50. Me and my buds had a blast on that thing up in the woods. But it all happened so fast. It seemed like in no time at all, the 750 Honda and the 500 Kawi were on the market, the moto mags were raging about our new-found kings of the hill outa Japan. I was in awe of both, but it was the Kawi that caught my eye because it was the first motorcycle ever to break in to the 12's in the quarter mile, as I recall. I wanted one so bad that I couldn't see straight. However that was never to happen, especially with my measly paper route income. And ya remember how cheap they were? I'm thinking the Honda was something like 799.00? Does that sound right? Far cry from what that prototype rascal is going for now.Just my little contribution from my memories of a magical age in motorcycle history.

Gary

darksider #44
I think you are a little low on the cost, the CB750 had a MSRP of $1,495 (which was twice the cost of a CB350) and the Kawasaki 500 Mach III was $999. At the time I was riding a Suzuki 500 twin that retailed for about $700. One of my friends bought a Triumph 650 Tiger for about $1,350 and the new Triumph 750 Trident was about $1,800. Those were big bucks at that time.

I went to high school with two brothers who bought identical blue Kawi 500's. They replaced chains and rear tires regularly. I rode a Norton. Got on the Kawi and nearly killed myself a few times.. front end was real light and the frame flexed like kerazy in the curves. Dangerous pigs they were.

I had fond memories of a Suzuki GS750 from 1977 I bought new. Grat bike that I toured all over the east, and even met the girl that became my wife at Hatteras.

Last year I got to ride a Honda CB750K around the big island Hawaii, and I couldn't get over how the bike lacked power had was uncomfortable. I understand the historic value of the bike being auctioned, but I'll never go back to the old carbureted 4 cyl bikes for nostalgia.