This is the bike that started it all for Americans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing this amazing bit of motorcycle history with us.

How does someone anticipate that his bike/car/truck will become a sought after classic? Will anything we are able to buy today have the combination of quality, beauty, and exclusivity to eventually become a high dollar collectible? Of course, the days of one off, sandcast, handmade motorcycles have faded into the mists of time.

Thanks for sharing this amazing bit of motorcycle history with us...Of course, the days of one off, sandcast, handmade motorcycles have faded into the mists of time.
...has been obsoleted by new technologies and manufacturing methods. Let me take that drawing and print you a prototype with my 3-D printer.

Your manor of saying this is much nicer and more romantic. :)

Well I'm feeling romantic! It is only 3 days until Valentine's day! With all 300+ pounds of Mrs. Redfish to deal with, I am seeing beauty and romance everywhere.

REALLY, I am so hoping that Mrs. Redfish was the winning bidder on this old Honda. I feel I deserve something really beautiful and interesting to put on display in the living room. I mean, something other than Mrs. Redfish...

See how I got this post back on topic so smoothly?

Amazing pictures of the "one off" nature of that bike. Talk about one-of-a-kind. I remember those days soooo well. I was busy running the snot out of my little Honda 50. Me and my buds had a blast on that thing up in the woods. But it all happened so fast. It seemed like in no time at all, the 750 Honda and the 500 Kawi were on the market, the moto mags were raging about our new-found kings of the hill outa Japan. I was in awe of both, but it was the Kawi that caught my eye because it was the first motorcycle ever to break in to the 12's in the quarter mile, as I recall. I wanted one so bad that I couldn't see straight. However that was never to happen, especially with my measly paper route income. And ya remember how cheap they were? I'm thinking the Honda was something like 799.00? Does that sound right? Far cry from what that prototype rascal is going for now.

Just my little contribution from my memories of a magical age in motorcycle history.

Gary

darksider #44
I think you are a little low on the cost, the CB750 had a MSRP of $1,495 (which was twice the cost of a CB350) and the Kawasaki 500 Mach III was $999. At the time I was riding a Suzuki 500 twin that retailed for about $700. One of my friends bought a Triumph 650 Tiger for about $1,350 and the new Triumph 750 Trident was about $1,800. Those were big bucks at that time.
Thanks 007. You are right, I'm sure. Were those prices you quoted from '69? If I recall now, that price I quoted above must have been the MRSP of my Suzuki T500. Like you, I had one as well: my first road bike. Vibration was something awful at 70; it put my feet to sleep. I worked at a motorcycle dealer a for a year in 72, taking those same 750 Hondas out of their crates and putting them together. It was a great job, but it didn't pay much. I really enjoyed getting my grubby teenage hands on all that fine equipment. My fav. was the CB350four. That factory candy apple was amazing. Ha-- I still remember the excitement in the air as we uncrated the very first 250 Elsinor dirt bike that year. We all stood around just staring. The boss wouldn't let us touch it... he assembled it himself. And of course, he test rode it HIMSELF while we all drooled. What a machine. But what an exciting time to see it all happen. Motorcycling was being revolutionized right in front of our noses, year after year. It was later that same year that the mighty Z1 came out, arguably one of the great game changers to hit the market. I still remember the first time I rode the Z1; it made the CB750 feel anemic and weak. I was bit. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that by comparison, that same Z1 would feel like a lead anchor compared to my FJR.

I was thinking: yall were discussing which bike changed it all? Some might argue that it was the amazing Trident or the BSA Rocket 3. Many have said it was the CB750 or the mighty Z1. Who knows? But I'm glad tire technology has kept pace with engine devolopement. Could you imagine putting a Honda CB 750 rear tire on today's VMax or ZX14 with nearly 200 RWHP and top speeds north of 185? Good grief.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks 007. You are right, I'm sure. Were those prices you quoted from '69? If I recall now, that price I quoted above must have been the MRSP of my Suzuki T500. Like you, I had one as well: my first road bike. Vibration was something awful at 70; it put my feet to sleep. I worked at a motorcycle dealer a couple years later in 72, taking those same 750 Hondas out of their crates and putting them together. It was a great job, but it didn't pay much. I really enjoyed getting my grubby teenage hands on all that fine equipment. My fav. was the CB350four. That factory candy apple was amazing. Ha-- I still remember the excitement in the air as we uncrated the very first 250 Elsinor dirt bike. We all stood around just staring. The boss wouldn't let us touch it... he assembled it himself. And of course, he test rode it HIMSELF while we all drooled. What a machine. But what an exciting time to see it all happen. Motorcycling was being revolutionized right in front of our noses, year after year. It was later that same year that the mighty Z1 came out, arguably one of the great game changers to hit the market. I still remember the first time I rode the Z1; it made the CB750 feel anemic and weak. I was bit. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that by comparison, that same Z1 would feel like a lead anchor compared to my FJR.I was thinking: yall were discussing which bike changed it all? Some might argue that it was the amazing Trident or the BSA Rocket 3. Many have said it was the CB750 or the mighty Z1. Who knows? But I'm glad tire technology has kept pace with engine devolopement. Could you imagine putting a Honda CB 750 rear tire on today's VMax or ZX14 with nearly 200 RWHP and top speeds north of 185? Good grief.

Gary

darksider #44
Ah Gary....another Titan owner, I guess there were at least 2 of us in Florida that had them (I was at Pensacola). I don't remember the Titan having excessive vibration at speed but mine was only good for about 95 mph even though the speedo showed 115, gas mileage was 25-30, and it absolutely ate spark plugs. I had to clean or replace my plugs every 200 miles to keep it running smooth. After that experience I wanted a Honda 450 and eventually got one after I got out of the Navy. The CB750 certainly was anemic in comparison to just about everything that came after. Honda advertised the CB750 at 67 HP, but that was claimed HP at the crankshaft, I think they actually were good for about 50 HP at the rear wheel. The Z1 in comparison had about 70 HP at the rear wheel. When I look at those bikes today its hard to believe that they seemed so big when they came out and that the tires were so narrow. When you combine the tire size, tire technology, lack of suspension, and frames that seemed to have a hinge in the middle; its a wonder there weren't more serious accidents.

"...seemed so big..."

They WERE big. I came from a 79 XS750 to the FJR. The dealer asked me what I thought the first time I had ever sat on one. I said "Nice little bike." Those 70's bikes were physically quite large, especially after you put a Windjammer on one.

I was thinking: yall were discussing which bike changed it all? Some might argue that it was the amazing Trident or the BSA Rocket 3. Many have said it was the CB750 or the mighty Z1. Who knows? But I'm glad tire technology has kept pace with engine devolopement. Could you imagine putting a Honda CB 750 rear tire on today's VMax or ZX14 with nearly 200 RWHP and top speeds north of 185? Good grief.Gary

darksider #44
Well, tires were way behind when the CB750 first hit the showrooms in the early summer of 1969, especially the front tires which needed a complete re-engineering for that fabulous hydraulic disk front brake. Some may remember that most front tires were ribbed and did not have anywhere near the sophisitcated tread designs and rubber compounds available a few years later. It was very easy to lock that thing up which would scare the crap out of anyone experiencing it. This was my first encounter with a braking system that required extensive practice to get right (and not crash).

I picked up my brand new 1969 CB750 (sandcast) in July of 1969. Rode it for 28,000 hard miles before it was stolen. Replaced it with an identical color (blue/green) 1970 a few years later.

Dan

Thanks 007. You are right, I'm sure. Were those prices you quoted from '69? If I recall now, that price I quoted above must have been the MRSP of my Suzuki T500. Like you, I had one as well: my first road bike. Vibration was something awful at 70; it put my feet to sleep. I worked at a motorcycle dealer a couple years later in 72, taking those same 750 Hondas out of their crates and putting them together. It was a great job, but it didn't pay much. I really enjoyed getting my grubby teenage hands on all that fine equipment. My fav. was the CB350four. That factory candy apple was amazing. Ha-- I still remember the excitement in the air as we uncrated the very first 250 Elsinor dirt bike. We all stood around just staring. The boss wouldn't let us touch it... he assembled it himself. And of course, he test rode it HIMSELF while we all drooled. What a machine. But what an exciting time to see it all happen. Motorcycling was being revolutionized right in front of our noses, year after year. It was later that same year that the mighty Z1 came out, arguably one of the great game changers to hit the market. I still remember the first time I rode the Z1; it made the CB750 feel anemic and weak. I was bit. Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't add that by comparison, that same Z1 would feel like a lead anchor compared to my FJR.I was thinking: yall were discussing which bike changed it all? Some might argue that it was the amazing Trident or the BSA Rocket 3. Many have said it was the CB750 or the mighty Z1. Who knows? But I'm glad tire technology has kept pace with engine devolopement. Could you imagine putting a Honda CB 750 rear tire on today's VMax or ZX14 with nearly 200 RWHP and top speeds north of 185? Good grief.

Gary

darksider #44
Ah Gary....another Titan owner, I guess there were at least 2 of us in Florida that had them (I was at Pensacola). I don't remember the Titan having excessive vibration at speed but mine was only good for about 95 mph even though the speedo showed 115, gas mileage was 25-30, and it absolutely ate spark plugs. I had to clean or replace my plugs every 200 miles to keep it running smooth. After that experience I wanted a Honda 450 and eventually got one after I got out of the Navy. The CB750 certainly was anemic in comparison to just about everything that came after. Honda advertised the CB750 at 67 HP, but that was claimed HP at the crankshaft, I think they actually were good for about 50 HP at the rear wheel. The Z1 in comparison had about 70 HP at the rear wheel. When I look at those bikes today its hard to believe that they seemed so big when they came out and that the tires were so narrow. When you combine the tire size, tire technology, lack of suspension, and frames that seemed to have a hinge in the middle; its a wonder there weren't more serious accidents.
the 71 Suzuki 500. Oh yeah, it vibrated all right. My girlfriend wouldn't ride on it over 60 mph because of that doggone vibration. She hated it. I beat that thing worse than any bike I've ever owned. I didn't put that many miles on it, nothing like my FJR of course, but it was just so... beat. Worse than any I've ever seen. Think I'll start a new thread on it, because it's quite a story.

Gary

Since I love resurrecting old threads...

I read an excellent little article on this bike and its restoration in Motorcyclist a couple days ago. Mitch Boehm still writes an occasional article for them and he seems to be especially partial to the older bikes. I will say that he did a pretty decent job with it and that the bike itself looked great in the photos.