Throttle Rocker/Crampbuster Issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I don't want to get into an argument with lovers of these gadgets--Crampbusters or Throttle Rockers. If you love 'em, great. I wish you well. But I'd like you to be aware of a potential problem they can cause. Ditto if you don't have one yet but you've been directed toward them here on the forum or somewhere else. I know lots of folks swear by them.

Here's the problem: when you set this thing for highway riding, it's in a position that you can rest your hand on it and hold the bike at a steady speed without gripping the throttle. Makes it a little more comfortable in some situations. That's good. BUT--and this has happened to me a few times now, and even though I have noticed it previously and should have been able to prevent it--having it in place CAN result in a sudden and unexpected "goosing" of the throttle. And when it's unexpected, that's never good. :dribble: Here's what happens.

You've been on the highway, and you've rotated the part your hand rests on so it's in the perfect spot to hold a speed of, let's say, 65 (that's the speed limit, right?). You come into a town and now you only want to go 25 or 30. Naturally, unless you've already moved the device, when it's in a position to hold the speed at 65, it's going to be a little high on the grip for a speed of 30. Somehow, in the course of riding in town, shifting, braking, whatever, your hand can easily, and unexpectedly, push down that damn paddle-thing, and a bike like an FJR can do a really awkward and perilous "leap" forward. Hope your balance is good and there's nobody right in front of you.

I always anticipate a lot of shit when I post something like this. Kind of critical of my riding skills-type things, but think about this. It can happen, and it could come at a really inconvenient time. I try to rotate the paddle around to the bottom of my throttle as soon as I slow down into any town, but it's easy to overlook. Just be careful about this. It's a cute little gadget, but it can wreck your day.

I tried one for a short while and got rid of it (gave it away) for that very reason. Having large hands doesn't help! :rolleyes:

Don

I've had the same thing happen as well. I have just been very careful with it and still use it. The other thing to watch as well is that it can catch on your coat sleeve so I always make sure the right sleeve is zipped on my jacket. I also cut the crampbuster a little shorter since mine was the long version. :rolleyes:

Thanks Mike for bringing this to our attention.

I have the aforementioned crampbuster and had noticed the "blip" thing.

I had always attributed it to some sort of wrist/forearm spasm. I never would have thought to blame it on

the crampbuster.

My issue quite often occurs while lazily entering or exiting an "I can sleep through this" curve.

Wakes me up rather quickly to say the least.

From now on I think I'll try your little trick of rotating it out of harms way unless I'm slabbing it.

Thanks again.

And to think OM said you never contribute anything worthwhile to the Forum.

Shame on you OM.

Mark

A friend bought me one and I tried it, scared myself from this very issue. Put it away and tried again this past weekend going to a Air Show in Reading PA. Same thing scared myself in slower traffic and that was it.

I need a cruise control period.

I think your warning is right on point and people should be very conscious when they use this.

I have a plate running from the top of my wrist to almost my elbow with nine screws in it, so my friend thought it may bring me some relief on slab. I guess I am just too uncoordinated.

Ive been using it for quite a while. I have had a blip or two, but I am not usually in 5th at 30 - so I do have to twist the throttle more in 3rd anyway. I have on occasion grabbed the brake and twisted the throttle as well because of the crampbuster. I am always on the clutch at that point anyway, but still disconcerting.

Clutch?

I've noticed this too. After a few thousand miles with a CB, I have developed a compensation scheme that works only because I have small hands. I sort of hold the throttle closed with my thumb and forefinger and get the brake lever with the next two fingers. I'm not recommending this course of action but I noticed that's what I do riding through town out of habit. Otherwise I have like 500 rpm rolled on the throttle without realizing it (not a factor on an AE from 1100 to 1600 rpm as no drive is engaged), so there you go. I'm keeping it in place, but I could see with medium or large hands this could be an issue.

599092_10151026708981340_1571633921_n.jpg

I have used Vista Cruises for over 25 years now on many bikes. To me these seem to work the best. You can set a friction level so the throttle will stay put yet allow you to adjust it. The thumb lever allows you to quickly set on or off very easily. The best of both worlds and cheap. Try it you'll like it. It fits right on the FJR. Notice that I also have heated grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, I just bought one of these. I have a hard enough time with this without the cramp buster. Seems I always wind up going faster than I wanted and end up having a chat on the side of the road with a uniformed gentleman driving a flashy car.

BTDT with the Crampbuster; it can catch you off guard if you're not careful. Lately, I've not used the Crampbuster...but for it slipping constantly and not because of the inadvertent application of go juice. I might need to try out one of those Vista Cruise doohicky's finally. :D

I have a Crampbuster on both of my bikes. Since doing more dirt road riding on the ST, I have found that I prefer to take it off for the dirt, and back on for the highway stretches. I also plan on mounting a Vista Cruise on each bike, since I have the BMW grips on each (see Don, I do have something BMW!) and they are much shorter than the stock grips on both bikes.

I had always attributed it to some sort of wrist/forearm spasm. I never would have thought to blame it on

the crampbuster.
Yea. That's it! That's the ticket! I blame the cramp buster. I don't have spastic hands; it's the device! Yea, the device, that's what it is... :rolleyes:

I always anticipate a lot of shit when I post something like this. Kind of critical of my riding skills.
Just trying to help out, Mike. Wouldn't want you to be left hanging in anticipation... ;)

Nothing's perfect, and while this flaw in the cramp buster is easy to spot, it does require some level of attention to prevent accidental throttle excursions. I found the vista cruise to be much more ergonomically designed, as it's operation can be relegated to "muscle memory". And it's not a lot more money. Besides, you actually get to take your hand off of the throttle from time to time. :thumbsup:

I have scared myself twice on the same ride and here is my solution:

Angle the crampbuster down further so when hanging off, your palm will not touch any part of it. It is still a good way to rest your wrist, just rotate your wrist a little further down. In the horizontal position it can be dangerous unless strictly on the superslab which I loath. One thing to remember, once installed, it will easily rotate only one direction, and locks in the other direction. If your palm is elevated at idle to rest on the crampbuster, it can cause problems. I still use it every time I ride though. It is very similar to when I started riding dirtbikes. With dirtbikes, I always force the throttle closed with my hand when rounding a tight corner so I don't accidentally whiskey throttle it.

Well, this thread was a great relief to me this morning--my first visit since I posted it last night. So it's a recognized issue--at least by those who've used it a while. Hopefully, you're all aware of this potential problem and take steps to prevent it. Mine is the shorter, fatter style, and I think those are less likely than the long skinny style to cause this to happen.

I first posted this because I noticed the issue and have had to make adjustments due to it--viz. rotating the paddle forward till it's about 180o away from the "in use" position. It's when I forget to do this that I'm at risk of the surprise blip. I also posted because of a thread where a new rider was advised to get a TR. Just a word of caution to him and others who haven't heard about this happening.

I also have a Vista Cruise and use them both (and will continue to use both), but they really serve two different purposes. I like to be able to remove my hand sometimes, and only the VC gives that option (other, similar gadgets, do too, of course).

If your Throttle Rocker slips, try wrapping some tape under it, or wind one or two rubber bands over the grip and under the TR. Just remember, as pointed out, it turns easily only one way, so get it out of the way before it snaps at you.

@gixxerjasen: Can't help you with your problem, but will offer some advice: always be nice and polite when chatting with those government officials.
385_smiley_face_cop.gif

Experienced this myself and rather than try to adjust, I dropped it in the glove box where it still rests today! I don't like un-expected anything while riding.

Per an old thread (I have an '05), I unwound the throttle spring one turn. It still has too much return, so in my case this was a great help!

Then added a Vista Cruise, as others mentioned, so I can relax my grip from time to time. Wonderful little tool! Priced right and so easy to do!

An added benefit to this comes when someone eases over to let you pass. You can now lock the throttle and wave, with the hand that they can see!

Thanks for bringing this up Mike. I thought it was just me.

Couple of weeks ago I was going around a tight corner in 3rd. when I hit a pothole, couldn't avoid it. My wrist hit the Crampbuster and..... well you can guess the rest. I didn't loose control, but came very close. Pulled into a rest stop, changed my shorts and removed the CrampBuster.

I now have a GoCruise installed https://www.2wheelride.com/throttle_pro.html - way better and a lot safer.

Al.

What you discribed happened the first time I tried it. Driving out of the gas station with a quick drop off when hitting the side street (fortunately). The bike lurched forward and I dam neer lost her. Its one of those things where you learn not to do it again. I now have it positioned as far out on the handle as possible. that way I can still use the throttle without the touching the crampbuster. JAT

Dave