'Tick' Anxiety

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The recording didn't get helpful until the last second. Try including a sound recording close to the bike including in the front on left and right by the headers.

This is not a Ticker, rule that out .... but don't rule out a cam chain tensioner.....
Concur. Not a ticker....kinda funky though in the low RPM range. I can imagine a chain slapping around.
Thanks for taking the time folks. Relieved to know not a ticker! I am gonna take it to the dealer and have them fix it (under 30 day warranty currently from them).

(BTW - Prolly the best bike I have had so far. Can't wait to rack up those miles!!)

but don't rule out a cam chain tensioner.....
sounds like marbles in a can...for me it was obvious in my garage (verberating) ice cold at high idle when first started in the morning

16k is real low for that, though, unless you got a CCT with a bum spring right from the factory.

There is a new and improved one to consider having old replaced just for insurance as "some" folks have lost an engine from CCT failure, but at much higher mileages than yours

Those engines naturally make metallic noises which is normal <guess this statement is more than obvious>

Right at around 29 seconds something does sound sort of ticky. Not real sure it's a tick (I'm no expert and the forum does have the recording that is very good to compare), but a CCT change would be the cheapest way to go right now, and it'd give yo upiece of mind. If it doesn't work call yammer.

Also make sure the idle is at 1100RPM, too low and it'll make all sorts of racket.

Keep us posted on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome to the forum and it doesn't sound much different than my '04 at 37k miles. Mine is a bit more ticky on the left side too, but that's just kinda how these engines are. After hearing the 'tick' soundfiles on here I knew I had nothing to worry about. Plus my engine doesn't burn a drop of oil. Enjoy the ride...

This is not a Ticker, rule that out .... but don't rule out a cam chain tensioner.....
Concur. Not a ticker....kinda funky though in the low RPM range. I can imagine a chain slapping around.
I don't know...I heard more noise when he was on the LEFT side of the engine than when he went around to the RIGHT/cam chain side.

I don't know...I heard more noise when he was on the LEFT side of the engine than when he went around to the RIGHT/cam chain side.

+1 left side

Im having the same concerns. My bike has 9k on it and I keep "imagining" that I have the tick. The ticking in question seems to come from the left side and gets louder to me as the bike heats up. It is so hard to tell if it is the real deal or just paranoia. I would post a video clip but I am not sure how on here.

Im having the same concerns. My bike has 9k on it and I keep "imagining" that I have the tick. The ticking in question seems to come from the left side and gets louder to me as the bike heats up. It is so hard to tell if it is the real deal or just paranoia. I would post a video clip but I am not sure how on here.
Just take a video using whatever you use, and upload it to Youtube. Then just copy and paste the URL of the youtube video into the forum and it should appear. I hear my valves dancing around at idle, but I think the tick is a more distinct and rythmic, loud, annoying tap tap ticking. Then again I haven't done a valve adjustment and I'm at 37k... so I may have some loose ones.

Mines been ticking for four years..Jestal stopped by several years ago and said "Nope it ain't a ticker they all make that noise"

Good enough for me.. 'course I ain't put the miles down like some of you peeps.

One summer I'm going to stay healthy and actually use the damned thing. ;)