'Tick' Anxiety

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less
argue.gif

More
bigtoast.gif

At this point, are we adding anything of substance to the thread? In boxing, have you ever seen a double knockout?

As a life long mechanic I find this interesting. Most if not all parts sources whether automotive or motorcycle cover parts for 30-90 days. Electrical is covered to the front door. In the boat world there generaly is no waranty. It seems unreasonable to expect some one to cover repairs for longer than the the parts house will cover the part. I have always covered my labor but only as long as the supplier covers me. If my labor is at fault I will fix it but if a gasket, seal or any other part fails that isn't labor related then it is up to the consumer to buy it. I have worked all around the western part of the country and have found this the general rule. It may be different on the wrong side of the Rockies :)

I look at this situation totally differently than just a repair. They sold him a bike that had a major problem from the get-go. I will concede that a year is a long time but 3-6 months of assurance that they will stand behind anything else that is an issue isn't unreasonable to me and I still contend that I would walk away from the bike without it.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I would be very uneasy without it and would take advantage of my opportunity to get out of the deal unless I was made confident with some warranty.

This is my personal opinion to which I'm entitled and by very nature of this public discussion I am sharing it here.

YMMV.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I would be very uneasy without it and would take advantage of my opportunity to get out of the deal unless I was made confident with some warranty.
Maybe I've missed something in failing to carefully read the bickering in the last page or so, but . . .

Excessive exhaust valve guide wear (the tick) is WELL KNOWN to long time Gen I owners, as is the repair process and resulting cure. It was laboriously and meticulously documented by Warchild (before this forum existed) in getting Yamaha to recognize and fix it. At least in the US, Yamaha has stepped up big time -- maybe a little late initially, but they have taken care of it even outside warranty, and the tick repair procedure takes care of the problem. There's really no mystery to it any more, except on the issue of whether an apparent non-ticker (with the old Gen. I exhaust valve guides) will forever remain a non-ticker or develop the tick later in its life. I'm not aware of a single documented instance of a Gen II ticking, and they have the same exhaust valve guides as are installed to replace the OEM Gen I exhaust valve guides in the tick repair.

So, getting the tick repair on a Gen I with relatively few miles is just shy of getting a new head job (and you could always pay for the intake valve side to be R&R'd if you wanted a full head job). Moreover, it results in banishment of the tick AND an end to any uncertainty about whether the bike might develop a tick later in life. To me, that's a BETTER Gen. I motorcycle than the one he initially bought before the tick repair. (And I have a Gen. I that had its tick repair at ~ 29,000 miles.)

I don't see anything in FJRay's comment that I could disagree with in this context, and I'd still jump on having the dealer fix the tick so I could contentedly enjoy a non-ticker thereafter. IOW, I guess I'd be less concerned that a tick repair would go bad than that a non-ticking Gen.I might later develop a tick.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ticking in mine (05, 50K) was very distinct and never missed a beat. Very constant tick, not real loud, but easily heard especially when sitting on the bike at idle. Replaced CCT and no tick at all now.

However other solution is to do the trooper mod. That may also be why I don't hear any tick.

But in this video I'd be more concerned about the non-consitant tick. Almost sounds like the snap you get when a plug wire is shorting or if you have after market exhaust could just be some of that gurgling that happens with after market.

After watching your vid and taking one of mine I think I just felt some anxiety. Hard not to with these bikes. I have decided to sell her though. Give a look and let me know what you all think.

I thought mine may have had a tick and an owner that had his repaired as a ticker listened to mine and told me nope, the tick is a lot more repetitive and harsher than the dancing valves my engine has. In the middle of a valve adjustment so we'll see if it quiets down or not.

After watching your vid and taking one of mine I think I just felt some anxiety. Hard not to with these bikes. I have decided to sell her though. Give a look and let me know what you all think.
Don't blip the throttle like that. Give slow steady increase up to about 2K, listen for the tick to stay and stay at the same RPM. Your's could be CCT or injectors, or a tick.
The thing that's wild is everyone is now freaking sounds like they have a ticker. From what's been posted this is very rare. Just sayin', maybe we're all a little hyper sensitive.

Whatcha want for it?????

Quite honestly, since the bike in the vid was still in "fast idle" mode, I don't think you can make an honest assumption on whether there's a tick, or a typically noisy FJR.

Take another vid after the bike's up to two bars on the temp guage, post it, and ask for more opinions.

But back to my original question....what'll you take for it? A potential ticker---worth about $600, I guess. :p

No matter if you pay for the other valve guides or they do, I would only keep the bike if they give you at least a 1 year warranty now that it's been torn into.
So..., in your view, putting in Yamaha's better parts (new-style guides & seals) can only make the bike's engine worse...? :unsure:

Potentially, less reliable (or, having a shorter life)...? :(

...now that it's been torn into.
How does that compare to "disassemble, repair, and reassembly by a competent technician"...? :huh:
A competent technician because you know he has a proven track record or because he told you he was? Unless I had a past relationship with said technician and knew he did excellent work, I wouldn't look at the engine the same now that it's been disassembled/repaired. I didn't sat "Run from it, it's been opened up" A competant technician would gladly stand behind his work with a warranty for a year because he's confident it's been done right. If he won't do that, leave the bike for someone else. I think that's reasonable.
Totally agree with your opinion there. Thats what I am going to do and ask for a warranty for the work that they have done.

BTW - they got back to me today saying that the machine shop saw some wear on rest of the exhaust valve guides and that they are going replace all exhaust guides, valves, seals on their own dime...not the intake. According to the guy there, the intakes are all pure stainless steel and dont have a problem. The exhaust valve guides were made from some alloy and coated with titanium something that broke down because of the heat. In his opinion, the intakes should not have the issue. So I am wondering if I should cough up the money myself to replace the intakes at the same time. Or should I just wait till I need to do this all over again at 75k miles!

Appreciate all the opinions and feedback here. This is awesome!

So I am wondering if I should cough up the money myself to replace the intakes at the same time.
I would not bother... particularly if all other costs are covered by them. There is nothing wrong with your intake valves.... and in all likelihood, you will not have to be concerned about "doing this again" at 75K miles. Trust me.

We have folks here who have many, many, MANY tens of thousands of miles of their FJRs; some well past 100,000 miles, with *no* significant engine work.

My 2nd FJR has about 82K miles on it, and hasn't needed so much as a single valve adjusted (yet). That having been said, the CCT is definitely past its service limit, and is about to get replaced.

I would let them finish refurbishing all your exhaust guides, then I would just ride the dog do-do outta it. ;)

Cripes. Just looked at this thread for the first time and only page 4 so far. Not sure what hornet's nest I am walking into. But..... all these years later and still 'Tick Neurosis'???

I do see some incorrect info below however.

The exhaust valve guides were made from some alloy and coated with titanium something that broke down because of the heat.
That's not right. The root cause of the problem was not a metallurgical problem with the valves or guides (as was initially thought by Yamaha), but was a problem with the valve guide *seals* not letting enough oil down to the valve guides for lubrication.

And don't fret. You'll never have a problem again.

Mines been ticking for four years..Jestal stopped by several years ago and said "Nope it ain't a ticker they all make that noise"

Good enough for me.. 'course I ain't put the miles down like some of you peeps.

One summer I'm going to stay healthy and actually use the damned thing. ;)
Whatever happened to Jestal? I was thinking about him the other day. Haven't seen around these parts in a looong time.

Gotta agree with Dale. My 03 was deticked before Dale made it popular with his Timex and I doubt it has the upgraded parts. The head work was done by an old fashioned motor machinist and everything was hand fit. The work was done at 26k and now there is just over 100k on it with zero noise. I did change the CCT at 75k.

My 03 was a ticker before Yamaha was admitting there was an issue. I sold it for my '04 and have no idea what became of the '03. My '04 was also a ticker which was repaired by Desert Valley Powersports. I sold the '04 to a friend of mine and it has since moved to the east coast, but as of 2 weeks ago it had over 50k tick free miles on the repair. I think a properly fixed ticker is just that, fixed.

My 03 was a ticker before Yamaha was admitting there was an issue. I sold it for my '04 and have no idea what became of the '03. My '04 was also a ticker which was repaired by Desert Valley Powersports. I sold the '04 to a friend of mine and it has since moved to the east coast, but as of 2 weeks ago it had over 50k tick free miles on the repair. I think a properly fixed ticker is just that, fixed.
Good to hear these reports of the tick being fixed once and for all .. now the agonizing wait for the parts to be shipped and then the work to be done ... 2.5 weeks before I can ride her again. And it was gorgeous out there today!

Mines been ticking for four years..Jestal stopped by several years ago and said "Nope it ain't a ticker they all make that noise"

Good enough for me.. 'course I ain't put the miles down like some of you peeps.

One summer I'm going to stay healthy and actually use the damned thing. ;)
Whatever happened to Jestal? I was thinking about him the other day. Haven't seen around these parts in a looong time.
Gunny.