Ticking : here we go again - Yamaha UK

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spanker-

try out the 'search' function at the front of this website; you will find dozens of threads on the subject; I'm sure others with direct experience will also join in shortly...

I know the history, thanks.

I couldn't find more than one exmaple of a UK bike and how it was tracked through the system from suspicion to fixed.

I would like to be able to make sure I'm on the right track. Maybe I can post an MP3 of the engine noise sometime ?

One thing that is not ancient history is the newest method to diagnose the problem.

Removal of the header to look for oil leakage past the exhaust valve.

It is far simpler and cheaper than digging into the head.

If oil is leaking past the valve stem, you obviously have a problem with valve guide wear. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked other FJR forums (with more local members) to see if there is a service facility somewhere around your location that has experience with excessive valve guide wear in FJR's?

One thing that is not ancient history is the newest method to diagnose the problem.
Removal of the header to look for oil leakage past the exhaust valve.

It is far simpler and cheaper than digging into the head.

If oil is leaking past the valve stem, you obviously have a problem with valve guide wear. ;)
Perhaps this will work in the more extreme examples, but I did the same thing and found nothing untowards in cylinders 1 and 2 exhaust valves/ports re oil seepage. Approx 12K on the bike when I pulled the headers, but it was ticking since approx 2K. It did however tick as per the "dreaded tic" sound descriptions from 2K on.

There are several UK owners who've undergone the tic diagnosis and "fix" and post regularly at FJR Owners.com.

keep the sales slip , contact yamaha corporate offices , make a fuss about it and in time you will get the cash back or should i say pounds . there are some old stuff on here with telephone numbers check it out .