Tire inflation compressor , which one to get

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 on the cyclepump
The air chuck on the Cycle Pump isn't the typical 90-degree style.

Any trouble connecting the Cycle Pump to the valve stem on the FJR?

Thanks,

EricR
Most of your higher quality bicycle pumps have the T end. Mine does and it works fine on the FJR, it's a "Joe Blow" from REI about $40 IIRC. The inflator on my shop compressor is the most hassle of all, go figger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this at Pep Boys:

michelin.jpg

Its larger than some like but I have the room to put it in my case.

I used one to seat the bead and fill an FJR's rear tire at this years Utah 1088.

Its got a built in gauge, you set the pressure and turn it on, it stops automatically when it gets to the set pressure.

Here is a write-up I found on it: https://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/michelin.htm

Just don't plug them into the 3amp power outlet in the 06 glovebox. They seem to draw a bit more current.
I've always carried a manual foot pump. I was going to get an electric one since I had the outlet for it in the 06 glovebox....until I saw this.

So you can't plug the tire inflator into glovebox outlet?

+1 on the cyclepump
The air chuck on the Cycle Pump isn't the typical 90-degree style.

Any trouble connecting the Cycle Pump to the valve stem on the FJR?

Thanks,

EricR

The air chuck on the Cycle Pump is very short - less than one inch long, so even though it is straight it attaches without difficulty.

Mike

www.rtwrider.net

Got my Cycle Pump today :yahoo: Let all the air out of my FJR's front tire and used the Cycle Pump to inflate it, ran the pump for 4 minutes and checked the pressure...... it was 50 psi. I had to bleed air out to get to the proper pressure. This pump is great, way better than the plastic ones I've had in the past. ;)

Does anyone know if the PowerSport Tire Inflator available at https://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=SLM will fit under the seat of an 06?
Not sure if it will fit, but the local Discount Auto Parts carries them. Not sure if theirs has all the neat cable options like cyclegadgets, but it was a few dollars less. I've ordered lots of stuff (like rammounts) from Cyclegadgets -- fast service. Usually if I order Monday, stuff arrives Wed/Thurs. (I'm not affiliated with them in any way)

Got my Cycle Pump today :yahoo: Let all the air out of my FJR's front tire and used the Cycle Pump to inflate it, ran the pump for 4 minutes and checked the pressure...... it was 50 psi. I had to bleed air out to get to the proper pressure. This pump is great, way better than the plastic ones I've had in the past. ;)

Cycle Pump sells a tire guage that attaches in line, between the pump and valve stem, so a continuous readout of the pressure during inflation is available. It's a bit pricey but an excellent tire guage (can also be used as a freestanding gauge) that I have found to be highly accurate, and very convenient when used with the Pump. The Pump and guage will both fit into the bag supplied with the Pump. You might find this item useful - I sure have.

Mike

www.rtwrider.net

rtwrider,

I found that gauge on their web site and I did order one. I see how much easier it will be to use the Cycle Pump with their gauge. I could have saved the shipping cost if I ordered it with the pump, but it is only a few bucks more. Thanks for the tip. :)

Rick

This one looks pretty sweet. In fact I don't think I can live without one for much longer....Click
That's the pump I have. I changed the power plug to a "Powerlet" rather than a cigarette lighter plug. It fits in the tool tray under the pilot's seat of my '05 (the tools are now under the pillion seat). The local BMW dealer was having a sale and the parts lady let me take 3 different units out to my bike to see which would fit. Thankfully, I've never had to use it.

I am looking at a foot pump called the Air Revolution. Any one have one or use one. Twelve volt pump concerns me because I would be sucking juice from the battery that starts my bike.

anyone ever tried the Autostreak Tornado (at $50 it's 1/2 the price of the cycle-pump, and rated at higher CFM)?

Listed as 1.2 CFM, max 120PSI (working)

Draws 10 amps,

and is 6.5" X 4.5 X 6.5"

Link

Also -- looks like aerostitch has the orig "Cycle Pump" model for $80 Link

(not the new Safari model)

. Twelve volt pump concerns me because I would be sucking juice from the battery that starts my bike.
You just leave your bike running while the pump is running so as to not drain the battery ;) :unsure:

anyone ever tried the Autostreak Tornado (at $50 it's 1/2 the price of the cycle-pump, and rated at higher CFM)?Listed as 1.2 CFM, max 120PSI (working)

Draws 10 amps,

and is 6.5" X 4.5 X 6.5"
Looks a little large for carrying in a bike, also its over 3 pounds, the Cycle Pump is a little over 1 pound and is very compact. It is a personal choice , so go with what you feel will work for you. :rolleyes:

I am looking at a foot pump called the Air Revolution. Any one have one or use one. Twelve volt pump concerns me because I would be sucking juice from the battery that starts my bike.
There is absoutely no way you could get me to use a foot pump. 40+ psi in the rear tire with a foot pump? Hell no. What an ass-pain.

12v pumps work GREEEEEAT!!! As stated above, if that much a nervous nelly, keep the bike running. But I am here to tell you that I have used the 12v compressors many, many times (unfortunately) without the bike running with no adverse effects on the battery. In fact, I had to use mine yesterday due to another flat. Didn't have the engine running, and my 3 year old 88,000 mile battery had no problem starting the FJR after running the compressor.

They are cheap, small, effective, easy to use, and reliable.

Forget the foot pump already.

I ride to my jobsites after setup on the FJR. Got a flat early summer and had just taken out my repair bag out of the bike with the compressor in it. Luckily a friend of mine had an Avon rear in his shop. So I asked the homeowner to use a bicycle tire pump. Damn, i barely had enough to get it to 45 pounds to ride it over to the shop. Not a good idea at all to depend on these kind of set ups when you can get a 12 volt machine to do it for you.