Tire Prices – Post up.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered the Conti motions for my fjr. Gettin them from mototire in fenton mo. $200 mounted and balanced, plus $5 tire disposal fee(each). I have about 7k miles on these tires on my 1800 gold wing. I love em. they transformed the handling of my wing. I had metzelers on it and on my fjr. I hate the metzelers! With the metz I have to force the bike to turn and hold pressure to keep it turned. With the contis it turns way easier and holds the line with ease. my 2 cents. JIM The above price is if u bring the wheels in not the bike. :lol:

I just ordered the Conti motions for my fjr. Gettin them from mototire in fenton mo. $200 mounted and balanced, plus $5 tire disposal fee(each). I have about 7k miles on these tires on my 1800 gold wing. I love em. they transformed the handling of my wing. I had metzelers on it and on my fjr. I hate the metzelers! With the metz I have to force the bike to turn and hold pressure to keep it turned. With the contis it turns way easier and holds the line with ease. my 2 cents. JIM The above price is if u bring the wheels in not the bike. :lol:
Dang, that's a hell of a price and I'm 10 minutes from fention. I just paid 250 for a roadsmart rear and pilot power front shipped to the house and I still have to mount and balance myself!

Chaparral Racing has always given me good service with no complaints. They're in California so it takes a while (3 - 5 days) to get UPS ground shipments back to the east coast. They usually ship the same day they receive the order.

It's a big operation and appears to be very successful.
+1 on Chaparral. I've been buying dirt bike parts from them for over 25 years and never had an issue with them. Went to their store once, huge warehouse and they've got the inventory to back up their website.

set of PR 2 Roads $258.95 delivered from Sportbiketrackgear.com

order made in the morning, shipped and confiimation with tracking number the same afternoon. I have bought several sets from them now with excellent service. They are physically located in Lake Orion, Michigan.

Just installed a set of PR3's from Sportbiketrackgear.com

$293 and free shipping and busted my ars installing them myself :rolleyes:

Next install will be much easier now that I've done i t once. Also pulled the drive shaft and lubed the splines :yahoo:

order made in the morning, shipped and confiimation with tracking number the same afternoon. I have bought several sets from them now with excellent service. They are physically located in Lake Orion, Michigan.
Just an FYI,

Sportbiketrackgear.com is no longer offering the Pilot Road 2's as a set...but there price still seems to be the best at $268.98 shipped

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an FYI,

Sportbiketrackgear.com is no longer offering the Pilot Road 2's as a set...but there price still seems to be the best at $268.98 shipped
B spec rear will be higher. Last I checked it was around $296.00 with free shipping front and rear. Still not a bad price.

I just recieved a PR2 rear ordered directly from Amazon.com. $140.00 with free shipping for Amazon Prime members, add $13.00 for non-prime members. Still for me, $153,00 to the door was the best price I could find. Date stamp code on the tire was July 2012 BTW.

If you are interested, at least last week, within amazon you have to search:

"Michelin Pilot Road 2 180 55 zr-17"

If you leave 1 letter out of your search, the cheapest tire will be more expensive. My 17 year old son shared that trick with me. Guess the kid knows a few things...

YMMV...

Chaparral Racing has always given me good service with no complaints. They're in California so it takes a while (3 - 5 days) to get UPS ground shipments back to the east coast. They usually ship the same day they receive the order.

It's a big operation and appears to be very successful.
+1 on Chaparral. I've been buying dirt bike parts from them for over 25 years and never had an issue with them. Went to their store once, huge warehouse and they've got the inventory to back up their website.
Just don't let them TOUCH your bike!

Big turnover of service guys working there.

Had 2 bad experiences with simple tire changes there, once on a rear tire change, they stripped my threads where the swing arm spools go, another time they didn't tighten the front pinch bolts on the forks, bike kept pulling to the right.

That was enough for me.

I picked up a front/rear set of Pirelli Angel GTs (rear "A" Spec) for $296.43 shipped from motorcyclesuperstore.com earlier this week.

I picked up a front/rear set of Pirelli Angel GTs (rear "A" Spec) for $296.43 shipped from motorcyclesuperstore.com earlier this week.
I will be very interested to see if these new Angel GT's live up to the "long life" hype. My current PR2s are still pretty new but I'll be ready for a new set of skins in 6 weeks or so - was planning to try these.

I will be very interested to see if these new Angel GT's live up to the "long life" hype. My current PR2s are still pretty new but I'll be ready for a new set of skins in 6 weeks or so - was planning to try these.
Me to....however, I may not be the appropriate one to make a benchmark on the Pirelli's....I just finished off a PR3 "B" rear in 2,750 miles.

PR2's at either Jake Wilson or Rocky Mountain ATV (same owners) 259.98 for the pair shipped.

Or get a BT023GT front and the PR2 rear for $257.98 for the pair shipped.

Or get a Michelin Pilot Power front and a PR2 rear for $253.98 (I might try this combo next)

For full on hoon mode, how 'bout a Pilot Power front and rear for just $226.98. How quick could you melt these clocklaw? ;)

For full on hoon mode, how 'bout a Pilot Power front and rear for just $226.98. How quick could you melt these clocklaw?
wink.png
Done....next set please
hyper.gif

For full on hoon mode, how 'bout a Pilot Power front and rear for just $226.98. How quick could you melt these clocklaw?
wink.png
Done....next set please
hyper.gif
tonguesmiley.gif

Here's my thinking on that...

I've never tried to run a set of sport tires on an FJR, but when you are wearing out the softer side compound on the dual compound ST tires (I do this too BTW) aren't those sides the same (or really similar to) sport tires?

So if you can get Pilot Powers for cheaper, and the sides will wear at the same rate, and you are wearing out the PR2's and such in 3k miles...

Here's my thinking on that...
I've never tried to run a set of sport tires on an FJR, but when you are wearing out the softer side compound on the dual compound ST tires (I do this too BTW) aren't those sides the same (or really similar to) sport tires?

So if you can get Pilot Powers for cheaper, and the sides will wear at the same rate, and you are wearing out the PR2's and such in 3k miles...
Yes...I think you are correct...it's pretty much the same rubber on the sides but harder compound in the middle (sometimes it's two compounds but I am learning now that some of them do it by changing the cooling rate of the center). This is the first tire that I wore out the sides on the rear first, my last rear (Metzeler Z8) I took out in 3,000 miles....with belts showing in 3 stripes (edge-middle-edge). There is a pic around here somewhere of that one.