Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat C

Reaction score
I have 7000 miles on my stock tires and I noticed the front is shot. I know this subject is talked to death, but I'm looking for a tire that has great handling in either wet or dry weather, I'm not to concerned about tire wear, because I don't put on many miles. Any help would be appreciated.

I would NOT choose the popular Michelin Pilot Road 2. While it's my tire of choice for mileage, I have never thought it was the best handling tire. Have heard the same from other peeps too.

I have no direct experience, but based on what I have read around here I would try the Pirelli Angels, or perhaps Bridgstone BT023. Or you cold always put a sport bike tire on the front - like a Michelin Pilot Power or Bridgestone BT016. Some peeps around here do that for ultimate handling.

Been using Pilot Power 2CT's on the Triumph Tiger 1050. Great handling wet or dry but not so hot on the mileage factor. <_<

Pleased with Avon Storm 2's for the last 700 miles. Used earlier version Avons for 45,000.

All my riding is on blacktop, frequently chip seal resurfaced. I understand there are concrete roads somewhere ... else.

Thru end of June there's a $25/tire rebate - go to Avon Tire website.

I need a new set of tires now too. With the Avon rebate, the storm 2 ultras are tempting, with a price of $265 shipped for a set from Competition Accessory Warehouse, so $215 after rebate.

Just wore through a set of Bridgestone BT 023GT's and really liked them a lot--I may just do another set of those... But, it's also fun to try new things!

After many many many Avons, I'm loving the Diablo Strada on the front. The tire threads you want to look for, though are from HaulinAshe - search Tires with his forum name. He goes through enough tires and tracks the wear on each set...

After many many many Avons, I'm loving the Diablo Strada on the front. The tire threads you want to look for, though are from HaulinAshe - search Tires with his forum name. He goes through enough tires and tracks the wear on each set...
Strada? Or the Angel? I didn't think the Strada had been available for quite sometime?

Unless you are a purist, any of the more popular brands of tires perform and wear about the same. You won,t go wrong with any of them avon, bridgestone, michelin, pirelli, dunlap yada yada yada

I need to calculate and was going to post up pics on another thread I started when I put them on. I think they're at about 7500, which is far more than I've gotten from other tires. Being Bridgestone, the surprising thing is that the front still looks great, is round, and has a lot of tread left. But after my last ride I now see the back has a band forming around the center that looks like it will be gone in no time, so I'm going to change the set. I've been really happy with them (the GT model).

When can you tell visually or by feel if your front tire is thin or it is time to replace?

When can you tell visually or by feel if your front tire is thin or it is time to replace?

Strada? Or the Angel? I didn't think the Strada had been available for quite sometime?
Whoops. Angel

All tires have 'wear bars' that are an indication of minimum tread depth. Many of us go a bit past those anyway depending on the tire. Most tires (if not all) will have some kind of 'indicator' on the sidewall of the tire in several places to show you where to look for the wear bars in the tread.

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

:)

:)

Buy a set of Shinkos and be happy with em. Bike I bought has a set on it that's got 5000 miles and they still look and handle good.

I'm curious as to what pressures riders have found work well in Angels for solo riding? I just burnt through my rear stone at 5900 miles and decided to try Angels based on the comments I've heard from other sport touring riders.

I just went from Road Smarts to Angels. Wow. It turns like a sportbike now. Much better for canyon carving here in Colorado. Running 42, 39 pressure.