Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnCaged

Reaction score
Yup, my Shinko's are ready to be replaced. they still have plenty or tread, but the front is cupping pretty bad, even worse then the stock BS.

It doesn't help I try and convince my FJR it's an R1, :p I'm pretty hard on the tires in the twistys, I think its hard fast braking that does it the most.

Anywho, I'm looking at getting either the Michelin Pilot Roads OR the Dunlap 220's

I know everyone on the board loves it when someone asks about tires, SO I thought I would make ya'lls day. :D

Most of you guys are smarter and more experienced then me at picking tires so once again I'm at your mercy!

Thanks in advance for your help.

UnCaged.

Uncaged.... everyone's got an opinion (just like an assho##)....so just a suggestion....talk to the guys who have a similar riding style to yours....before you make that decision :) ...but it's just a suggestion.... :blink:

I got joy-joy for the Michelins so far. I had a fairly spirited romp on Mulhulland Hwy today, pacing a couple of kids on their liter bikes. I must admit that I was riding beyond my comfort zone, way beyond, but the Pilots stuck like glue and turn-in was sharp and confidence inspiring. These tires are, IMO, the ever-so-slightly sportier of the two that I really like (Avons & Michelins, I've yet to run the Dunlops). I don't think that I'm going to make the mileage of the Avons, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caged...think outside the box. For all you know we are misleading you for our own advantages. Or, you are a "test" rider for a new product some nazi firm is trying to sell. Oh, the topic....just put on a rear avon. She has a lot of meat to her so I'm hoping to get more then ten grand out of her. There's no reason to run a tyre and get less then that unless you are racing or doing burnouts(which are gay...in that case, go to the brokeback mountain threads).

Dude, from what I hear...go with the Metzlers. Everybody on here loves them. That's all i read about is Metzler tires and how awesome they are. Like they are for sure the #1 fjrforum.com rated tire. They're so hot. ;)

Don't mind her.....she owns stock in metzler.
I don't own Metzler stock and I am changing my current Metzler Z6s front and rear for another set. I put 10K miles on them in the mountain twisties in so. CA and on the slab. They still have 2/32" of tread on the rear and front. Best mileage I have gotten with BS 020, 2 sets of Avons V45/46(made my bike wobble). IMHO they are THE TIRES for the 05 FJR. Hope my 06 AE comes with them, if it is ever delivered!!

I should use the rear that would be the smart thing to do, but since Motorcycles are all about spending money anyway. I'm going to switch both...... :D

I still have about 4/32 on the rear, dead center is worn pretty good, Gee wonder why that is?...... :D

Since I have it my mind to get a new set, I'm even more abusive then normal, I been riding it like it's my DRZ. :dribble:

UnCaged

I just purchased the pirellie strada diablo, I have to say they are nice to me.

grip in corners hold line, do not stand if taping break in a corner. not that this is a planned thing. but it is/was nice that they held grip and afforded me time to correct/prevent an otherwise bad event from happening. :blink:

softer ride of inperfections in the road. :lol:

no wobble at any speed that I have tested, release of bars. :eek:

I hope I get good miles if so they will be the tire for me. ;)

I am very happy with the Avons and had no plans to use anything else, but I just received a set of D220s I ordered for my kid's SV. Problem is, the rear tire they sent is the wrong size for the SV. It is the size for my FJR. I'll see how they want to handle the problem, but I just might be trying it out on the FJR.

I have 2.5K on my Michelin Pilot Roads, they stick well and seem to be pretty durable so far. I had the BT020's which have a much quicker turn-in when new but the front wore funny and both F & R were shot at 6K. I have also used Metizler Z4 & Z6, good tires and the best mileage (7-8K) but without a tread grove across the tire to judge tread depth I wore both down rears to the cords. Not a cool thing!

2005@24K

I am very happy with the Avons and had no plans to use anything else, but I just received a set of D220s I ordered for my kid's SV. Problem is, the rear tire they sent is the wrong size for the SV. It is the size for my FJR. I'll see how they want to handle the problem, but I just might be trying it out on the FJR.
:lol: I ordered for my kid's SV. Problem is, the rear tire they sent is the wrong size for the SV. It is the size for my FJR.

;)

Come on admit it, you ordered the rear to test on your FJR :)

I'm very happy with the Metzler Z6's delivered in my 2006. They are very stable ans feel like they are glued to the road. Also had great traction in the wet and didn't hydroplane at 80mph.