Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 18,600 on my last Avon front tire, and currently have 14,200 on my current Avon rear. It's shot, but still no damn cords! :angry2: :p
Damn. I am not an agressive rider and I have just over 8k on my Avaons and the rear is well into the wear bars. The original MEZ4s didn't last that long and I love the Avons for both wet and dry riding, but I can't make 'em last that long.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tires must stick well. I'll take whatever mileage I can get, but it's not a priority. I tend to engage the acceleration capabilities of the FJR, utilizing its fine cornering manners (for a fat girl) to a degree suitable to public roads. I ride with my son, chasing his CBR600RR. We don't treat the street like a race track, but we do pick up the pace on the backroads. ;)

Avons have been very satisfactory thus far. Good wet and dry grip, and I'm seeing about 5,000 miles from a rear tire.

I'm staying with the Avons, running 40 psi front, 42 rear without bags and passenger, 42 and 44 fully loaded with bags and pillion. Every time I'm ready for a new tire I think I'll try the Diablo Strada, but I always get another Avon.

I've just put on some "exotic" tires, German-made Continental Road Attack.

They look pretty cool and I've read some very positive road-test results.

Road-Attack-kl.jpg

There are specific versions for the FJR1300. You want a "Z" for the front and a "B" for the rear tire.(A friend ran a non-specific pair on his FJR and was not a happy camper).

I've only put a few dozen easy-does-it miles on them but I am happy with them so far. They're now due for a weekend of riding the mountain passes in Switzerland, so we'll see how they perform.

Stef

I've just put on some "exotic" tires, German-made Continental Road Attack.They look pretty cool and I've read some very positive road-test results.

Road-Attack-kl.jpg

There are specific versions for the FJR1300. You want a "Z" for the front and a "B" for the rear tire.(A friend ran a non-specific pair on his FJR and was not a happy camper).

I've only put a few dozen easy-does-it miles on them but I am happy with them so far. They're now due for a weekend of riding the mountain passes in Switzerland, so we'll see how they perform.

Stef

Uh-oh!!!!! The end of the world in nigh! Quick, run for your lives!!!!! :eek:

(Me thinks Stef may have missed the infamous 'Moist Ass-Cheese' cronologs. Someone got linkage for Stef's ejamacation?)

Dude, from what I hear...go with the Metzlers. Everybody on here loves them. That's all i read about is Metzler tires and how awesome they are. Like they are for sure the #1 fjrforum.com rated tire. They're so hot. ;)

That doesnt sound like a MN girl ??? " Like they are for sure the #1 fjrforum.com " sounds more like CA !!! :clapping:

SMOOTH

Just put about 300 miles on my New Michelin Pilot roads. Did some highway, rough back roads and my favorite, twisties!!!

Of course there new so I'm sure any new tire will feel great compared to the one you just took off.

the trick is trying to remember the difference between these and when the Shinko's were new!

One thing I noticed right off the bat is how smooth the ride is, I didn't feel the road like I did with the Shinko's, you feel it just the right amount, but riding down the highway it's smooth as could be.

Lean-ableity Very little energy on my part to throw the bike from side to side in the twistys. when leaning over it's again very smooth and gives me confidence to push it as far as I dare :dribble:

Grip

In Dirt seems to be about the same as the Shinkos maybe a tad bit better

( you mean it's not a motocross bike?) I live where there's allot of dirt roads..... :blink:

Take off from a dead stop (power turned on) Very firm and strong didn't slip as much, the front end wanted to come up instead of the tire slipping.

Anywho that's about it for now. I'm a happy camper!

I know ya'll like your tires to, just put'in my 2 cents on the Pilot roads.

Side note: If your looking at the Michelin's be sure to get the road and not the Pilot Sport, well I guess you could, but it's not the same tire it's more for the lighter sport bikes I.E R1, R6.

Happy Rid'in

Uncaged

I have Z6s on my '04. They are at about 4k right now and look pretty good but I don't know how many 32ths are left. I have certainly ridden on stickier tires (not on the FJR, though). The Z6s do feel a little slippy some times but its kind of like riding through a scattering of gravel - its not really going to turn into a full on lowsiding slide. They just move a bit. If I just keep aiming where I want to go, they get there. I'll be heading GA to CO and back on them next week with lots of slab in the route so we'll see how they hold up. I expect they'll be done when I get home.

Anybody have experience with a set of Michelin Pilot Powers on an FJR? If so, comments?

My tire experiences: early release '03 FJR (#229)

oem 'stone 020's, good until front "cupped" and handling started to deteriorate.

others w/ Metz Z-4's felt Z-4s were inferior to 'stones and not as assuring in wet.

interesting that Z-4's were being phased out and replaced by Z-6's (will this be upgraded soon ???)

*** more on this thot later

Michellin Pilot Roads were second set. Excellent in rain and wore well, handling well 'till the end.

They do require more push of the bars to get the bike leaned well over and need to be worked as opposed to easy "fall in " exhibited by other tires. Bike never decel wobbled or stood up in corners under hard braking. Like riding on rails but I wanted a little more "sportiness" in cornering

Conti Road Attack: one of the initial FJR users and some had problems w/ flimsy construction of 1 ply sidewall fronts...., squirmed under heavy braking. Conti issued free replacement fronts. Orig. fronts were mfg. in Korea and evidently, upgraded front now mfg. in Germany maybe adequate for the FJR now.

Tires were "sportier" in handling than P.R.s but always had decel wobble and stood up in corners under heavy braking (new upgraded front may have resolved this) Wore about as well as MPR's

Pirelli Diablo Strada EMS: current tire w/ 2,500 mi. For me..., superior to all previous tires. much better handling (fall in, steady arc holding, braking) and the bike just seems to steer with such neutral ease, leaning all the way over w/o any issues. I was rather surprised at how soon the "chicken strips" were gone.

Totally confidence inspiring at brisk, well leaned over paces. If they last as long as the Mich PR's, I'll run them again.

So...., back to the Metz Z-6's Pirelli owns Metzler. Pirelli's rep says the Z-6 is an "over 3 yr. old design" and the Pirelli Diablo Strada, based on the Z-6 (but not the same tire) has many upgrades and does handle better than the Z-6 (testimony by factory rep at M/C show)

06 FJR's are showing up with Metz Z-6's (are they unloading these like they did the Z-4's of past ???) I'm only speculating here but do believe the Diablo Strada to be superior to the Metz Z-6 (which may have an upgrade in the making)

That's all I got..., never have run the Avons but that would appear to be the best combo of mileage/ handling, if you get one w/o a quality control issue. Bottom line (for me) is that the Diablos just feel like they make everything right in the handling dept.

moving on........

In every single tire test I have seen so far from reputable sources, the Z6 is rated #1 compared the Pilot Road (mostly #2) and the Diablo Strada (mostly #3). The rest is far behind.

I guess I'm surprised nobody's tried the Pilot Power. On the Michelin website it's recommended for the FJR along with the PRs.

I have them on my K12S and am inclined to try them on the FJR. I'm just not sure about their wet weather handling. I don't really care about the wear. Much more concerned about traction.

I guess I'm surprised nobody's tried the Pilot Power. On the Michelin website it's recommended for the FJR along with the PRs.
I have them on my K12S and am inclined to try them on the FJR. I'm just not sure about their wet weather handling. I don't really care about the wear. Much more concerned about traction.
Most folks around here don't consider the FJR a sport bike, which it really is not, so tire wear is an important factor for most. I mean, for crying out loud, most people get over 2000 miles on their FJR in short order. It doesn't take them 5 years like you and the Brundog. :p

I do belive there was a thread by FJRocha about the Pilot Powers. If I remember correctly, a few did not recommend them as they felt the construction was not robust enough for the weight of the FJR. Or perhaps those were the Pilot Sports? I can't remember for sure. Search for that thread.

Edit: Here ya go Mogan. You do know the search feature here is a wonderful thing don't you?

Previous Pilot Power thread

I have. Grippy tire, lasted about 7000km for me, quick turn-in, great lean angles. Wet grip ok. Slight instability at 100mph+ speeds (due to soft sidewalls?).

Current set: Metzeler Sportec M3. Shot by 5000km, front and rear after my Eur06 trip (see picture forum). Better grip and handling than the MPP. EXCELLENT wet grip. Instability at 140mph+ with front pressure increased to 38psi.

Well after properly scanning old threads it seems I'm stuck. No clear winner on which tire provides the best handling (wet and dry) with wear rates secondary. It seems there's a downside to just about every tire out there...

--Some have vibration problems with Avons

--Michelin PRs are not the best handling

--Michelin PPs are too sporty for the load of the FJR (although the mfr recommends them and my K12S comes with them OEM and it's not that much lighter than the FJR)

--Metzlers have been known to fall apart

--Diablo Strada sounds pretty good but not too many riders reporting on them

--Same as above with Dunlop qualifiers and D220s

Yikes!!!! What's the winner???????????????????????????????? :blink:

C'mon Mogan. There is no winner. Tires are like oil.

One man's perfect tire is another's POS. Evaluate the input to the best of your ability, make a decision, and try them yourself.

Mogan, how many times do you ride at 100mph+ speeds? Cause that's only when you notice some instability. And that's not scarey, just not as planted as you'd expect. They rock in the twisties and run like on rails. ANd even their wear is decent.

Welp, I just got back from a 400 mile ride to Hollister, Held 100mph+ for many a mile, A few spots 135-140! :nono:

Plus all the twisties you can handle, high speed, and oh shit hit the breaks hard it's a hair pin! :eek:mg2:

I have to tell you my Michelin Pilots performed with out a flaw. (Mogan there is a sport version of the Pilot)(I'm talking about the Pilot road, that's made for the heavier FJR)

If I was cruising at 60 or 100+ I would say the Michelin's felt great, I don't see how a guy can go wrong here!

Well it seems the only way to properly evaluate all the good options is...well... to buy one set of each tire. Now I just need to track down 8 FJRs! :D

Got 8200 miles on the Metzler Z6's and had no complaints. However, the new Michelin Pilot Roads are even better. A little slick when first on the road, but after a good scrubbing, I couldn't be more pleased.

Just ordered a set of Michelin PRs from Glen. Would love to do a side by side with the Stradas. That may be my next set.

Although Michelin makes great tires, their main website is crap. The "tyre" selection tool pulled up pilot powers and roads for the FJR. When creening for my K12S it only pulled up the sport despite the fact the power is the OEM tire! Doesn't make sense.

It does seem like the technology is changing pretty fast. Perhaps a year or two from now we'll have sport touring tires that are dual compound like the top of the line sport tires...awesome wear and cornering.