Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had Dunlop (205s I believe) tires on my old bike and liked them. I have Metz Z6 on my 06 and like them so far. I road an 05 with Avons and did not like them.

Uncaged,

You forgot to tell us how many miles you have on the Shinkos'. I have 2500 on mine so far. They seem to be holding up pretty good at this point.

Bananas!

I guess I got about 1200 miles out of the Shinko's.

:D Just kidding! I don't know the exact miles something like 4,500 to 5,000. The main reason i'm replasing is

1-the front is cupped really bad and has a few bubbles (stress bubbles)

2-And, I just want to! :dribble: The center of the rear is at 2/32nds :blink:

(I don't trust them anymore at high speed)

UnCaged

Last edited by a moderator:
I have about 4500 on a set of Avons. From the looks of them, I'm going to get about 8500-9000 when there used up. I put this set on due to the rave reviews here on the forum. Honestly though, I just ain't feelin' the love from 'em. And then I find out that the ring leader of the Avon parade actually has his Avons mounted on a Vespa. Go figure. I did get to take a short ride on FJRFencer's '06 with Metzlers. If I remember right, he had 'bout 1100 on 'em. Felt good and confident. I may go with those on the next set. That, or keep the Avons, trade the FJR for a Vespa and get the 18k via gerbil power. Not sure yet.

You know in a way I get it (cheap bastards wanting tire longevity) but in away I don't.....with only two small contact patches on the ground....I want the most stick I can get....wet & dry....so I apologise now to all you cheap bastards that are "too stupid" to realize "Stick 1ST".... tire longevity 2nd (in warchild's gibberish...if I have to explain it to you you wouldn't understand)....if you ever learn to go around corners....you'll began to understand what I mean....until then....in those famous immortal words...."BITE ME" :D ....thanks I feel much better now.... :yahoo:

the only reason you think more run Metzler's is that there are so many Avon haters on this site. I will make a be that more replacement tires have been Avons than any other tire.

i am running the pilot roads .the only tire i can compare them to is the b/stones and the pilot roads hold the road much better you can push the roads more than the stones . Have a set of stradas sitting in the shead .

I am very happy with the Avons and had no plans to use anything else, but I just received a set of D220s I ordered for my kid's SV. Problem is, the rear tire they sent is the wrong size for the SV. It is the size for my FJR. I'll see how they want to handle the problem, but I just might be trying it out on the FJR.
:lol: I ordered for my kid's SV. Problem is, the rear tire they sent is the wrong size for the SV. It is the size for my FJR.

;)

Come on admit it, you ordered the rear to test on your FJR :)

Well, I did get the wrong tiire by mistake but I was thinking seriously about keeping it and trying it on the FJR. However, the distributor has responded that they have already sent out the correct tire and will pay for shipping of the wrong one back to them. I can't turn down such good service so it will go back. BTW, the distributor is SouthWestMoto Clicky. Great service and very competitive prices.

You know in a way I get it (cheap bastards wanting tire longevity) but in away I don't.....with only two small contact patches on the ground....I want the most stick I can get....wet & dry....so I apologise now to all you cheap bastards that are "too stupid" to realize "Stick 1ST".... tire longevity 2nd (in warchild's gibberish...if I have to explain it to you you wouldn't understand)....if you ever learn to go around corners....you'll began to understand what I mean....until then....in those famous immortal words...."BITE ME" :D ....thanks I feel much better now.... :yahoo:

Yep, that's me. THE cheap bastard. All that 'grip' shit is for those of you that can actually ride the shit out of this bike. Not me, man. I'm old and slow and don't lean far enough over to make a Ching Shen break loose. Make me an Elite3 that will fit this thing.

I'm not a hater, I'm a lover...

Lov'n my Avons. Have 3-4 K miles on 'em.

They have been steller wet tires.

Great at high speed.

Great highway.

Great in twisties. Chicken strips were gone after the 1st weekend ride.

I have gotten rear slippage at extreme lean, though. I'll blame it on street conditions.

Made me look like a pro racer,

'till ya saw that my butt pucker was so big it actually sucked my pants inside. :D

It's good that the pegs slide well.

Avons do need a mile or two to warm up.

Gett'n jiggy on my street, leaving home, always seems to make for drama.

Avon's for me. I'm on my third set after having tried Dunlop's pos tires. IMO After doing our 11,000+ Four Corners run and still having tread to get home on and ride more I'm definitely sticking with Avon's and SW Mototire for supplier. JB

I have the Z6's on my 2006 Feejer. I didn't like them the first 200 miles or so. The rear end broke loose easily in tight turns and the bike felt loose in the wet. But I pumped up the pressure a few pounds in the front and tweeked the suspension. Only have 600 miles on the bike but I'm much more impressed now. I'd say during breakin I have run it 60-70% to my personal pucker point. I'm more aggressive than about 70% of the riders I see in the twisties.......

The PR's are better than the Z4's. *400 miles out of the Z4's before I had to replace them (cut in rear tire and the front was cupped BAD). The PR's gave me 9k miles of great riding before I got down to the wear bars and I had a big trip coming up. I'm not sure about the Z6's. I'm using the Avons now and they seem a bit better then the PR's (only about 500 miles on them so far). YMMV

Tom

Is there any consensus on what the best handling tires are for the '05 FJR ignoring wear/life?

Is there any consensus on what the best handling tires are for the '05 FJR ignoring wear/life?
All the major players make a high performance handling tire....it just comes down to personal preference...go with what suits your riding style....

I ran a set of Pirelli Diablo Corsas last summer for a while. was headed on a long weekend trip with two friends up thru north GA, western NC (deals, cherahala, etc.) up thru NC to TN, into VA and WVa and then back. rode about 1500 miles in three days. Problem was, I was on the FJR two up with gear for both of us for three days, and the other two guys I was riding with were on a 748 ducati and an Aprilia Factory Mille. So I wanted a bit extra grip. :)

tires worked like a dream. bike turned like it was on a slot car track. I didn't figure they would last long after that weekend but I didn't care (i'm used to getting two weekends out of a set of $330 race tires). I used them for commuting and ended up getting about 4500 miles out of the rear when I replaced the set for the new diablo strada. I've used the strada for a few track days and have been very happy with them as well. I'm about 6 or 7k miles on the strada now. figure I'll get maybe 9-10k out of them before they are done.

BTW- Pirelli just dropped the price on the diablo and diablo corsas if you are looking for a good deal.