Tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BikeEffects once told me, "Tires, like oil, are an expendable commodity. Why not try them all?"

I've had OEM 'Stones, OEM Metzs, Avons, Pilot Roads, currently using Pirelli Stradas and have a set of PRs in the garage (to compare the Stradas) for my next change.

So far, I like the Stradas and the Pilot Roads the best. My one caveat is that the Stradas seem to like the rear suspension "firm", I went up 2 clicks on my preload because they felt "squirmy", now that is gone. I should probably take some preload out to see if it was the less than 200 miles that was causing the "feeling", but I like it set where it is.

The right tires for you are the ones you like. The only way you're going to find the ones you like is to start trying them. There are no bad tires (except for the Metz :D ), only different tires for differing riders. Go forth and experiment!

Michelin Pilot Sport HPX

New tire out for Michelin.. anyone have any opinions on this one...

they put them on the Hyabusa... for high speeds... and very good wet and dry..

Just not sure if they are up to the wieght class for the FJR...

any way to find out what weight load they can handle... ?

Otherwise I think I'll be headed for a Pilot Road....

got me 7400 miles on my Battlax's... Need to get somethin done here.... hehehhe

Warp

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.... I just pulled the trigger on the Pilot Roads... I don't think I can play beat the clock with this anymore..

Wise choice! No doubt the Pilot Sport HPX are good tires. However the bikes they were designed for, only weigh 474#. At $199 for the rear tire, you'd better have deep pockets.

After having recently switched to an FJR after 36,000km on an ST1300, I'm really looking forward to having a proper choice of tyres! That 18" front on the ST is a real pain when it comes to tyre shopping.

Although I have been a big fan of the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 on my last two bikes (I rode a Kawasaki ZRX1200R before the ST), once I wear out the OEM Battlax 020s that are now on the FJR, I plan to try a set of the Continental Road Attacks. A mate of mine has been running these on his FZ1 and loves them. He has also got 16,000km out of two last Road Attack rears. That's about 4,000km more than I've ever got out of a sports touring rear tyre.

I've recently mounted a set of Pilot Roads & love them. I've had the Dunlops & Avons without much luck.

The set I bought were the ones BMW LT riders go for, The front was OEM "B" & the rear was OEM "K". They were difficult to find. MAW was the only source.

The rear is,indeed, a stiffer sidewall. I hope it turns out to be a longer lasting tread wear.

dobias :glare:

I too just pulled the string on roads. $200 total for front and rear at www.motoxoutlet.com

I have 60% left on the OEM stones, but the front wobble has me so annoyed that I'm just gonna switch it out now. New bike and lots of rides planned so there is no reason to put up with a wobble.