Titanium Peg Feelers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are the odds of catching the side of the road on fire with these things? Maybe not applicable to those in the regions wanting them but I know where I live forest fire is our only real natural disaster. Everyone takes it deadly serious. :huh:

Might be easier to put short bones on and get the feelers farther off the ground.

If any of you Nor-Cal guys put these on your bike please don't come to the foothills during the summer. :angrysmiley:

What do you need peg feelers for? Just learn to ride aggressive with out draging . Now that is a challenge to do and learn

IF you want sparks just drag a chain tied on the rear of your bike..

And the parts dude said "peg feelers" WTF? "that's what knee pucks are for"

DSCN0232-1.jpg

Ahh come on guys.. give the OP a break. It would look kewl to see a shower of sparks flowing out and back. Kind of like glass breaking. Or Mercury hitting the ceiling and cascading all over the work bench. Agree that's it not the best of idea in dry country like where I live - your butt would be in jail ASAP.

****...So many things to say and only 26 letters in the alphabet to say them with...

I guess they'd be good for showing off, but if some dipshit starts another forest fire in NM with a set of these (don't even know if that's actually possible), the people that live in that area will probably hunt him down and set his t-shirt in fire...With him still in it.

It took me almost 4 years to need to replace my first set of feelers...I think I can afford the higher priced, less flammable OEM feelers. Even if it's every 2 years.

****...So many things to say and only 26 letters in the alphabet to say them with...

I guess they'd be good for showing off, but if some dipshit starts another forest fire in NM with a set of these (don't even know if that's actually possible), the people that live in that area will probably hunt him down and set his t-shirt in fire...With him still in it.

It took me almost 4 years to need to replace my first set of feelers...I think I can afford the higher priced, less flammable OEM feelers. Even if it's every 2 years.
+1 on nixing the idea of showering sparks. I figure it's right up there with pissing off people with bikes so loud that they set off car alarms. Doesn't really help our cause.

I checked yours and I see you're almost about to reach puberty....
Yes where to babies come from Grampa "RadioHowie"????...Your a salty old bastard aren't you?

I'm tired of spending the cash to replace the stock feelers. Will these last 'longer' than the stock feelers or do they just shower purtier sparks?
I'm not sure. I will say the stock feelers on the Yamaha pegs are pretty good. Much better than most I've ever seen.

What are the odds of catching the side of the road on fire with these things? Maybe not applicable to those in the regions wanting them but I know where I live forest fire is our only real natural disaster.
Good point. I'd say it wouldn't be a good idea in the parched area's out West right now.

--------------------------------------------------

Some thoughts: When I got the FJR I just assumed I've never have to worry about dragging a peg anymore. One of the reasons among many to go to a sport touring bike was so that I could ride the mountains without scrapping all the time. I posted a few weeks ago about how I was somewhat surprised & disappointed that you can scrap them. I do want to continue to improve as a rider and I've already started praticing leaning off the bike in curves that warrant that and it does seem to help some. Yes dragging your knee would be more impressive for this style of bike. Perhaps someday I'll get to the point where I can make that happen.

If most think TI feelers are a stupid idea nobody is holding a gun to your head and making you purchase them. I just thought I'd let others that might want them know that they are in fact available. I realize most folks on here are into practical mods only like cup holders, heated gear, storage, bigger windshields, big wide comfortable seats...etc. It's just a completely different culture on this forum. So far I love the FJR, me & my wife both. But I'm not gonna "farkle" my bike out into a poor mans wannabe Goldwing.

I do want to continue to improve as a rider and I've already started praticing leaning off the bike in curves that warrant that and it does seem to help some. Yes dragging your knee would be more impressive for this style of bike. Perhaps someday I'll get to the point where I can make that happen.

Hi Georgia Rider,

I look forward to your next video showing what you have learned on our "poor mans wannabe Goldwing ". I do feel that you used a very broad brush with this discription.

Although I do not have a Big Wide Seat,Cup Holders or most of those other farkles you detailed. I do have one of Gerauld's super racks though, to carry my swag. 56 and still sleeping on the ground. Misspend youth? No service to country.

Best regards to all.

Surly

Upright not Uptight

I think what would be cool is mount the ti feelers on your center stand and when you have a cager on your ass just lower the center stand and let the sparks fly, I'll bet they will back off really quick..

This response is not directed at anyone in particular but simply a feeling I had after cummulatively reading this thread and thinking back to other threads I have read over the years. It is Probably not a good thought and just a sanity check for myself...so I apologize. :blink:

Just because some may prefer sport TOURING instead of SPORT touring, that is no reason to bash a thread that addresses the later. IMO the OP came to the forum and offered up a new option and information for SPORT tourers. Good for him and THAT is one of the reasons this forum is such a valuable resource. We need to encourage such activity from all members. If all you want to do is post comments about a fellow riders choice of riding style, suggest they learn how to ride properly and attempt to convince them to ride more like you do - then certainly there is a Harley thread somewhere you can contribute to! And just fyi...Since some here are sport TOURERS...if Colin Edwards or any other professional rode an FJR assertively, he would be dragging hard parts and throwing sparks. These are Sport Touring bikes.

Also, my center stand and kick stand are now getting scraped pretty badly as well. To possibly prevent these expensive items from needing to be replaced, Does anyone know of 'pegfeelers' that I could attach to them? And before anyone comments about my riding style and lack of proper riding technique... this weekend I am gonna read a book on how to correctly ride an FJR...so maybe I will not even need the pegfeelers next week. But it would be good to know if these items exist in case I cant comprehend all that technical stuff that certainly will be in the book. :)

This response is not directed at anyone in particular but simply a feeling I had after cummulatively reading this thread and thinking back to other threads I have read over the years. It is Probably not a good thought and just a sanity check for myself...so I apologize. :blink:

Just because some may prefer sport TOURING instead of SPORT touring, that is no reason to bash a thread that addresses the later. IMO the OP came to the forum and offered up a new option and information for SPORT tourers. Good for him and THAT is one of the reasons this forum is such a valuable resource. We need to encourage such activity from all members. If all you want to do is post comments about a fellow riders choice of riding style, suggest they learn how to ride properly and attempt to convince them to ride more like you do - then certainly there is a Harley thread somewhere you can contribute to! And just fyi...Since some here are sport TOURERS...if Colin Edwards or any other professional rode an FJR assertively, he would be dragging hard parts and throwing sparks. These are Sport Touring bikes.

Also, my center stand and kick stand are now getting scraped pretty badly as well. To possibly prevent these expensive items from needing to be replaced, Does anyone know of 'pegfeelers' that I could attach to them? And before anyone comments about my riding style and lack of proper riding technique... this weekend I am gonna read a book on how to correctly ride an FJR...so maybe I will not even need the pegfeelers next week. But it would be good to know if these items exist in case I cant comprehend all that technical stuff that certainly will be in the book. :)
+1

Just to stir things up a little more. The FJR is limited in ground clearance. This was noted in several of the old road tests. In stock trim it is very easy to drag a peg. Good technique helps but it is still an issue. Lots of guys with FJRs never have a problem with this. Walk around at a rally and check things out, 9 out of 10 bikes have never touched a peg down. This is not because they all have great technique and hang off when they push limits. They are more interested in sport/TOURING, no problem. Dark siders are disqualified from talking about cornering technique :) . However if interested in SPORT/touring on the FJR you have to use good technique (a Lee Parks course helped me a bunch) and suspension upgrades.

disclaimer: I was dropped on my head as a child, I am 59 years old.

Ok I'll give you the kickstand and left side of the centerstand..But ain't no way yer dragging the right side ;)

Grab a .225 inch drill bit and poke a hole where they drag, tap 'em out and tread in the tips. :D

As I have a car tire, this advice should be ignored.

Ok I'll give you the kickstand and left side of the centerstand..But ain't no way yer dragging the right side ;)

Grab a .225 inch drill bit and poke a hole where they drag, tap 'em out and tread in the tips. :D

As I have a car tire, this advice should be ignored.
You are correct about the right side. Thanx for the offer and you crack me up. And just for the record, You aint right!

+1
+2

I will take a set when they are available.

Will you get me a Titanium chain???

The sidestand will drag (I have a picture)...I have not gotten to the centerstand yet...I won't mention what it did to the seat when I found this out ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you get me a Titanium chain???

The sidestand will drag (I have a picture)...I have not gotten to the centerstand yet...I won't mention what it did to the seat when I found this out ;)
How about:

Left---sidestand and centerstand

Right--exhaust pipe, exhaust pipe hanger, brake lever pivot, centerstand, belly fairing.

I didn't go down and didn't even know how close I was to catastrophy, I think I threwup in my mouth :bad: when I got home and saw the scrape marks. My excuse, the bike was new and I was without a clue.

kinda surprised by some of the responses in this thread...

thought we were a bit more open minded here.

at any rate, i'll play :)

so, i just got off a sport bike.... road it like hell. knee down, draggin stuff and i have excellent technique. follow me sometime.... if you can

and now i'm on an FJR

I bought this bike because after riding a friends, and riding it like hell, i found that, with exception of cornering clearance, she will (in the right hands) make the memory of my sport bike a sweet but distant one. some may scoff at this... join me for a ride sometime.

I'm old enough that i want to commute on this sweet machine and still fast enough (and maybe even dumb enough) that i want, at times, to find the ragged edge of performance.

Having spend time on the Concours 14, the BMW and then the FJR, the FJR stole my heart.

I, and i'm sure a large group of us here, ride hard, and with good technique, and hard parts drag. ALOT

and I, and i'm sure a large group of us here, ride hard, but with others who don't, and we don't ridicule them for how slow they are or for all their 'old man' farkles...

we love the ride... pure and simple...

so i for one can't wait to get a set of these Ti feelers... because i won't be replacing mine every single year (i hope)

SO, please keep us posted. me likey.

ride on...

Last edited by a moderator: