Titanium Peg Feelers?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IF you want sparks just drag a chain tied on the rear of your bike..
Will you get me a Titanium chain???

Ok I'll give you the kickstand and left side of the centerstand..But ain't no way yer dragging the right side ;)
The sidestand will drag (I have a picture)...I have not gotten to the centerstand yet...I won't mention what it did to the seat when I found this out ;)
How about:

Left---sidestand and centerstand

Right--exhaust pipe, exhaust pipe hanger, brake lever pivot, centerstand, belly fairing.

I didn't go down and didn't even know how close I was to catastrophy, I think I threwup in my mouth :bad: when I got home and saw the scrape marks. My excuse, the bike was new and I was without a clue.

Scraping the Belly Fairing??? :eek:

I have got a book that explains how to correctly ride an FJR. ;)

I think the Ti peg feelers would be sweet. I'd have a good time following someone for fun watching that, and I may get some too.

Now, if you're scraping belly fairing... something is messed up with your technique and suspension! I've hit the feelers, side stand has some scuffs, and the mounting brackets for the headers are worn down good.

It seems to me that a lot of you guys seem to forget that the clearance is somewhat dependent on adjustment, riders weight (plus luggage), suspension aftermarket components vs. stock etc.

If your first spirited ride after you buy it new scrapes the crap out of the underside, I would not just dismiss the riders ability but have a close look at riders weight and (lack of) suspension settings...

Same goes for worn rear shocks, clearance in corners goes out the window. On the other hand new aftermarket shocks can give you height adjustment with MORE clearance.

Just something to think about that hasn't come up in this post yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
This response is not directed at anyone in particular but simply a feeling I had after cummulatively reading this thread and thinking back to other threads I have read over the years. It is Probably not a good thought and just a sanity check for myself...so I apologize. :blink:

Just because some may prefer sport TOURING instead of SPORT touring, that is no reason to bash a thread that addresses the later. IMO the OP came to the forum and offered up a new option and information for SPORT tourers. Good for him and THAT is one of the reasons this forum is such a valuable resource. We need to encourage such activity from all members. If all you want to do is post comments about a fellow riders choice of riding style, suggest they learn how to ride properly and attempt to convince them to ride more like you do - then certainly there is a Harley thread somewhere you can contribute to! And just fyi...Since some here are sport TOURERS...if Colin Edwards or any other professional rode an FJR assertively, he would be dragging hard parts and throwing sparks. These are Sport Touring bikes.

Also, my center stand and kick stand are now getting scraped pretty badly as well. To possibly prevent these expensive items from needing to be replaced, Does anyone know of 'pegfeelers' that I could attach to them? And before anyone comments about my riding style and lack of proper riding technique... this weekend I am gonna read a book on how to correctly ride an FJR...so maybe I will not even need the pegfeelers next week. But it would be good to know if these items exist in case I cant comprehend all that technical stuff that certainly will be in the book. :)
+1
+2

I will take a set when they are available.
+3 However;

Can I get a set Ti pegs that are pre-scraped? (or if someone will offer up a used set)

Not sure I have a good enought file to carve em'down so I can look fast...

I'm with Geezer on this. If I could get a set about 2" longer than stock I could scrape the hell out of them.

What are the odds of catching the side of the road on fire with these things? Maybe not applicable to those in the regions wanting them but I know where I live forest fire is our only real natural disaster. Everyone takes it deadly serious. :huh:

Might be easier to put short bones on and get the feelers farther off the ground.

If any of you Nor-Cal guys put these on your bike please don't come to the foothills during the summer. :angrysmiley:
I was riding along behind an instructor at a track day years ago and he had titanium sliders on his boots. He made a big deal about em, wouldn't shut up about em. I happened to be getting some instruction from him in that session and he's showin off at every opportunity. Next thing i know we are all being flagged into the pits. The dumb mellonfarmer lit the grass on fire and it took an hour to make sure it was out.

Screwed up that session and cost us the next one by the time the day was over. Arsewipe he was. :angry03:

so, i just got off a sport bike.... road it like hell. ... i have excellent technique. ...follow me sometime.... if you can

after riding a friends, and riding it like hell, ... some may scoff at this... join me for a ride sometime.

I'm ... still fast enough that i want, at times, to find the ragged edge of performance.

I, ..., ride hard,... and hard parts drag. ALOT

and I, ... ride hard,

...so i for one can't wait to get a set of these Ti feelers...

Far out, man. Can I have your fucking autograph?

so, i just got off a sport bike.... road it like hell. ... i have excellent technique. ...follow me sometime.... if you can

after riding a friends, and riding it like hell, ... some may scoff at this... join me for a ride sometime.

I'm ... still fast enough that i want, at times, to find the ragged edge of performance.

and I, ... ride hard,

:rofl: :haha:

There seems to be two different things being discussed here.

1) How some folks can scrape hard parts. This goes along with all of the discussion about technique, suspension, talent, and desire to push the limits. OK, nothing new here. I understand why people do this and have done it myself when I was young and indestructible.

2) The desire to throw a lot of sparks so that people behind you will know that you are scraping the ground. The 'look at me' kind of thing that the loud pipe cruiser guys do and the stunters do better. This I don't get.

There seems to be two different things being discussed here.

[snip]

2) The desire to throw a lot of sparks so that people behind you will know that you are scraping the ground. The 'look at me' kind of thing that the loud pipe cruiser guys do and the stunters do better. This I don't get.
This was MY point when I opened this can of spoiled Vegemite.

... this can of spoiled Vegemite.

Howie, is that like bad clams?

'Cause sometimes you can pick off the smelly parts and have dinner.
RadioHowie, with your being a disc jockey I know you're well aware of what Frank Zappa said at the Fillmore West at Easter of 1969: Don't ever eat that green pussy!

IF you want sparks just drag a chain tied on the rear of your bike..
Will you get me a Titanium chain???

Ok I'll give you the kickstand and left side of the centerstand..But ain't no way yer dragging the right side ;)
The sidestand will drag (I have a picture)...I have not gotten to the centerstand yet...I won't mention what it did to the seat when I found this out ;)
How about:

Left---sidestand and centerstand

Right--exhaust pipe, exhaust pipe hanger, brake lever pivot, centerstand, belly fairing.

I didn't go down and didn't even know how close I was to catastrophy, I think I threwup in my mouth :bad: when I got home and saw the scrape marks. My excuse, the bike was new and I was without a clue.

Scraping the Belly Fairing??? :eek:

I have got a book that explains how to correctly ride an FJR. ;)
In response to the bold above :p

:lol: No thanks. I now have books, took a riding course, and did suspension mods. As stated I was clueless. Dragging that hard without knowing made me ill :bad: . Now I occasionally drag a peg and might touch the side stand, but thats about it. My point was the FJR will drag a bunch, probably more than most bikes that handle well.

I don't want to make sparks, but I would like to have a cheap source of peg feelers.

PS edit: Additional info I forgot. I have the WynnPro kickstand plate, it does touch easier than the stock kickstand :) .

I can't answer that....I have NEVER been THAT hungry! :rofl:

RadioHowie, with your being a disc jockey I know you're well aware of what Frank Zappa said at the Fillmore West at Easter of 1969: Don't ever eat that green pussy!
Gawd, that AZ sun has fried yer noggin....I haven't been a "Disc Jockey" in 20 years, after I got kicked upstairs to management. Still do football play-by-play, but haven't spun wax in two decades.

....and what's wrong with green.....?????

orion-bound.jpg

and I, ... ride hard,

of course! anytime. :)

Based on what your saying then these https://secure.billydump.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=263 should work then correct??? This is my friends website and he made these for my Suzuki and sells them now.

so, not to stir the pot again with all the "spark haters", but i ordered a couple sets of these about 3 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything or seen anything yet... sent them an email...

anyone know if they are backordered or sumpin?