To AE or not to AE?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
I went back to the Yammy dealership today, for the 3rd time in over a month. The sales guy just laughed when he saw me. He's waiting for me to buy so he can use the money to pay off his bike..haha.

I really like the idea of not having to shift. When thinking about buying the AE I have a concern with low-speed manuevering and being able to take off from a stop w/out having a time/torque delay. Plus I'm not a big fan of the 07 AE color. I like the black chery better than the AE non-color. Actually, whatever I buy I'm probably gonna have repainted to a deep red color with stripes on the side.

I saw an 07 Suzuki Blvd M109 with a beautiful red... that's the red I love on a bike. You have to see it in person.

https://www.suzukicycles.com/products/M109RK7/Default.aspx

The dealer has both A and AE. Both are discounted. The sales guy said he's ridden the AE and that it's great not having to clutch. Anyway, now that I know which bike I want, I have to figure out if I wanna clutch or not. Guess I'll have to spend more time reading on this forum. :yahoo:

I didn't like the AE I rode, which is why I got the conventional FJR.

If you commute a lot, the AE would be good, as the 06/7 clutch can be stiff.

I think you have to want the AE to avoid hating it once you get it. So go with traditional. If you think Cerulean's a non-color, you're not worthy anyway.

If you are gay like cleaning your bike, get a "real" color. If you'd rather ride, go non.

Go with your gut feeling first. Test ride, test ride, test ride. And before your done try out a new KTM Duke. It will be a treat. Really figure what type riding you do, (be honest), the most and when and go from there. PM. <>< My problem is I like them all....PM. <>< :yahoo:

I really like the idea of not having to shift.
Huh?

You still have to shift, grasshopper. You just don't have to clutch.

It ain't an automatic transmission, its an electric clutch/shifter mechanism.

Useless IMHO, but to each his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with your gut feeling first. Test ride, test ride, test ride. Really figure what type riding you do, (be honest), the most and when and go from there. PM. <>< My problem is I like them all....PM. <>< :yahoo:
+1

Here's a few things to consider:

If you're into following trends, AE owners make up less than 10% of the total FJR sales.

Since, in order to shift, the AE rider still has to do "something" for each shift; up or down, (either flip a switch on the bars or foot switch), the only real difference with the AE model is, it's slipping the clutch for you. That's not a big deal with me, and actually I enjoy working the clutch. It gives me a great feel over the transfer of power, to the ground.

And also figure the AE has more things that can break.

And opinions from AE owners... If you opt'ed for the AE, paid more for it than the standard model, then found you didn't like it all that much... would you admit it?

Actually, I'm not sure why Yam didn't just have a computer do the AE shifting totally, and call it an automatic! Hell at this point, it's just a matter of a computer periodically making the necessary electrical connection, at the right rpm. That shouldn't be difficult to do at all! (And no, I wouldn't buy the automatic either.))

No contest for me, standard model (twice). My guess is, with the demand for the AE being so low, Yam will eventually drop it as an optional model.

I really like the idea of not having to shift.
Planning on keeping it in 1st gear? :clapping:

When thinking about buying the AE I have a concern with low-speed manuevering
Yep, it can be a little tricky. But it can be mastered, just like any other bike. There are just different things you have to do.

and being able to take off from a stop w/out having a time/torque delay.
If you're a pro drag racer, you might notice a difference. In street riding I doubt it. I think the professional reviews rate the AE about a half second behind the A in a quarter mile, no doubt due to the launch. But is that really where your interests lie with this bike?

Either bike is a great choice if you're really looking for a supersport tourer, IMHO.

And opinions from AE owners... If you opt'ed for the AE, paid more for it than the standard model, then found you didn't like it all that much... would you admit it?
I can honestly say I have no regrets regarding the clutch (got it for the A price). Now ask me about the altitude surge and you might get a different answer... :angry2:

The AE requires a little rear brake in slow speed turns but now it is second nature and very easy. I find the FJR very nice at slow speed turns. The old style manual clutches still have a loyal following too. Your call.

I would buy an AE again, i love it.

It took me some practice, but I have become good at slow speed turns. I can even do the u-turn box now. Learning to shift the AE is easy, learning the throttle control takes some time. Before I had this bike I was able to use the throttle and cluth to make things happen. However, without the clutch it takes some time to learn the process. Not to knock any one here, but I think it is almost imposslbe for anyone to master this bike in less then 2-weeks of rideing. The Demo rides are nice. But, it takes longer then a ride or two to learn the throttle control for slow speed.

Love the AE. As posted previously it took a little time to be smooth with the throttle. As an example you are riding done the highway at 65 and you need to make a left turn. The throttle is rolled off and you need to do is (using your finger) is press once twice or more to be in the proper gear to make the turn. You stay 100% focused on the upcoming traffic. I find the bike very nimble around the parking lots and u-turns are tight depending only on the rider's technique.

I rode the AE, and felt at home right away. By the time I finished the test ride, I was shifting like a pro, doing U-turns without rear brake and feet on the pegs, and having a blast. Reasons I didn't get one:

- extra cost, and unknown resale value (small market).

- it's not proven. Didn't want to deal with possible reliability issues, since it'd be my only bike.

- And most importantly, didn't want extra aggravation with the fueling issues. Once they're proven, I might get one in the future, especially now that I went with manual transmissions in my cars.

I did like the silver/blue color much better than the 'black cherry', so when dealer said which bike do you want? I said a silver A. He said they don't make it. I said I'd get something else then. Without hesitation, he said: Yamaha doesn't make it, but we can make it for you. And that's how my silver A was born. Doesn't hurt to ask for a color change. With 5 other AEs on the floor, guess which one sold first? Yep, the black cherry one. Win-win situation for all. Later.

JC

I think you have to want the AE to avoid hating it once you get it. So go with traditional. If you think Cerulean's a non-color, you're not worthy anyway.
I was speaking generalities when I said that. I like the Cerulean color. But I want something in red. I'd rather take the Cerulean than the new 08 black. That's just my preference.

Thank you for the the "I think you have to want the AE to avoid hating it once you get it." That's a good way to say it.

Here's a bit of better advice than A vs AE

If you'r buying an 07' (deep red metallic i hope) the last place you want to be this time of the year is at a dealer. Hunt the used classifieds,..craigs,flea bay,...whatever,... within a couple of weeks you'll Prolly find a very gently used 07' maybe with a few added bit's and some extended warranty for thousands less than showroom. This is the last time i'll take the depreciation Hit,...Lot's of nice machines on ebay right now go have a look. Unless,.. of course the dealer is the only method of financing for you as the banks are usually less than thrilled about throwing out coin for a motorcycle purchase.

-Don

The AE is awkward and hard to get used to... for around 10 minutes...

Then it is awesome. Smooth as can be and IMHO no breaking required on take off.

I have an '06 AE with 8,000 miles. I got the AE because I was curious. For a long time I have had the idea that the AE clutch arrangement would be great for a low powered small car. I don't like the usual automatic transmissions supplied in those small cars.

Anyhoo, the AE has worked as well as could be expected. Would I buy an A or AE if I had it to do over? I would buy the A for one simple reason. On a bike, sometimes it is handy to nail it from a dead stop, without advance planning. What I mean is, with a conventional clutch you can crack the throttle immediately, slip the clutch and you are gone. This cannot be done on an AE. You have to bring the RPMs up somewhat slowly and then get on it. A subltle difference perhaps, but I miss the ability launch quickly and smoothly at the same time.

Dick Frederick

I too looked at a new 06 AE leftover and made one heck of a deal on it - lined up my financing and everything. I pulled the plug at the last minute and went with a new 07a. In the end I didn't feel like the "re-learning" curve and the loss of being able to feather a clutch in certain situations - the more I read about slow speed manuvers and braking/throttle control the less I was enchanted wit the whole thing - the last big reason was that there are 4 local Yamaha dealers - 2 of them had 06AE left overs they were begging people to buy - the 3rd one I spoke to said he hoped to never see another one in his show room.

I'm sure it's a neat feature for some - but I've had no regrets about sticking with my choice to go with an 07a. I saved a lot of money for other farkles - the only thing you're really saving by buying and AE is the fact that you don't have to pull a clutch lever - it's a neat novelty that imho doesn't really contribute a lot to performance, looks, or value.