• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tomtom 1gd005200 at Amazon

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mine for 2 years ... I use the TYRE software which works fine. It is slightly buggy from time to time but not more than other apps I have used in this realm.

A couple things I have found that have helped me greatly ...

1) Change the map color scheme to the one entitled "sunlight readable". Other colors work and the thing is pretty good in the sun really ... But, the different color scheme does make a noticeable difference ...

2) When using TYRE to make a route, make sure that you zoom in to the way-points that you create and verify that they are on the right side of the road. Tyre uses google maps as its source and (I am speculating) some roads show as one (bi directional) lane and the GPS assumes that you are going in the direction of your route. Some roads show 2 lanes (Only if you zoom in can you see this) and each lane goes the opposite direction (obviously). If you simply drop a way-point when zoomed out, it sometimes gets placed on the opposite lane than you intended and when you try to activate the route (on the road), it does not end well.

This is not an issue with the GPS. It will route you as requested. But, if you all of a sudden (in the middle of a route) find that the GPS is telling you to turn around and go back from where you came, it is because one of the way-points that you made is on the wrong side of one of your roads ...

If you find yourself in this predicament, use the option entitled "go to next way-point" and it will get you back on track ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Got one as well. I was surprised how heavy it was compared with my car Garmin unit. The plan was to mount it on the clutch master cylinder. After seeing how heavy it was I looked for a plan B. Being a newbie I didn't know about the Wynn Pro Ram ball mount until I found it in an old post.

Sent Dave a PM to and a Pay Pal payment and he has one headed my way. An innovative product and a great use for the two bolts holding down the front of the tank.

Maybe some can post a pic or a link to it. IMO the only way to mount the Rider.

There is a threaded hole on the clutch side of the bike that works great with a Ram ball and is the most secure way I found to mount the GPS. It is a a well constructed unit and a bit on the heavy side ... I also considered the clutch cover method but preferred this method ...

The ram ball is only about $10 or so ...

Here are a few pics of how mine ended up ...

IMG_20151129_130453.jpg

IMG_20151129_130437.jpg

IMG_20151129_130427.jpg

IMG_20151129_130419.jpg

IMG_20151129_130405.jpg

There are two ways to mount a Ram ball to the TomTom Rider 300. One is to use a ball mounted on a plate and to use 4 screws to attach the plate to the GPS mount. The other way is to use a threaded ball and screw it into the hole provided on the back of the mount. I highly recommend using the threaded ball option. I used the four screw option and in less than 300 miles all four of the captured nuts in the mount pulled out and the GPS was dangling by the power cord. Tom Tom replaced the mount without issue. I ultimately got a free second mount to put on my other bike because I continue to use the damaged mount with the threaded ball in it.

I do not think I over tightened the screws; I'm pretty good about avoiding such things. If you mount it that way be careful and keep an eye on it.

I ordered a mcl triple tree nut for mine.

Now the only concern is security. My garmin had a locking mount but the tom tom is optional for $90. Any ideas besides removing it?

Mine old one is called the Rider 2. I think the new one might also be called the Rider 2 (?)

TomTomRIDER2.jpg

As for mounting it, I used the 4 screws on the plate in the back. Nothing came lose and I never re tightened in over 70,000 miles and 7 years that I ran the unit. There are lock washers so I'm not sure why Pterodacty's came loose--strange.

Another thing, I now remember that with the MCL Nut I added this part to get the unit where I wanted--the arm is longer than the one the unit comes with.

RAM-B-201U.jpg

https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-201U

Now the only concern is security. My garmin had a locking mount but the tom tom is optional for $90. Any ideas besides removing it?
Security? Meal stop, bathroom break, or overnight motel stay, I follow "the protocol".

Detach safety lanyard from GPS, remove it from the mount, place it in the small tank bag, and then take my "man purse" in with me. There's nothing left on the bike that can casually walk off. Whenever I find myself dither and thinking about "do I take it with me or not?", I fall back on the strategy of "follow the protocol". Even on long cross-country trips of many days, each with several stops, it just becomes second nature...

I have my TomTom mounted on a Rambone and it works great in that location...I used to use an MCL steering nut mount. I like having it not move with the steering, I can shove my tank bag up against it without worry. The only real problem I'm having with it is the factory power plug that goes into the mount...it seems there's a loose connection in that area somewhere that causes occasional power loss (tapping the wire brings it back online). I'll have to pull the heat shrink off it and have a look.

As for the TomTom itself, it takes some getting used to if you're coming from Garmin, but overall it's a decent system. One thing I haven't fully figured out in the year I've owned it, is the sound settings in conjunction with my SENA....TomTom sound is always distorted. My Sena pairs with my iPhone separately just fine, but when the TomTom gets involved, it gets wonky. I usually just leave the TomTom sound off as a result. It's either the TomTom or the Sena that's the problem...dunno.

As for security, I throw in it my top case if the bike is going to be out of sight for any length of time.

As for mounting it, I used the 4 screws on the plate in the back. Nothing came lose and I never re tightened in over 70,000 miles and 7 years that I ran the unit. There are lock washers so I'm not sure why Pterodacty's came loose--strange.
On my mount there were four nuts molded into the plastic. All four pulled out of the plastic in short order.

Mine came today. Now I gotta go get some blue tooth headsets
rolleyes.gif

Hey, where are you folks wiring to?
It pulls almost no power. Before I added a whole bunch of crap and had to add a fuse block, I just wired mine into the cigarette lighter wires. Easy peasy.
Ah. Thanks. I like that.

I've already go a Battery Tender lead and powerlet connectors on the battery. I hate to just keep stacking stuff on it.

Well, much appreciation to BobCo for the heads up. I don't know how much I'll actually use it, but for the original sale price, I figured I'd give it a try.

You're welcome. I'm really an old guy. I wear hearing aids with a blue tooth connection to my smart phone. So besides connecting with the Sena SMH10, I was able to connect the Tomtom to my hearing aids. I'll try out the Tomtom in the car using the hearing aids for audio. It makes me wonder if a person could connect a standard bluetooth headset to the Tomtom. For those of you that are hearing challenged, hearing aids aren't all bad. I can stream music and tv audio, now the Tomtom. And most importantly turn them off when I don't want to hear what someone is saying.

In all the years I've used mine I've never hooked up or worried about audio. Once you get used to having it and all the info you get at a glance, it's hard to go without. And ditto on a great heads up for a great buy!