Tonopah to Vegas--Suggestions?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I've got a day to ride from Tonopah to Vegas. What route would you suggest? I've never been to Death Valley...

Thanks.

Two things I've been to in Death Valley include the lowest place in the Northern Hemisphere (Badwater) and Scotty's Castle. Makes a 300 mile trip out of it.

For flat-out fun....it's hard to beat the 260 mile version that includes Rachel and the Little A'Le'Inn on the E.T. Highway.

Spud,

I just checked the weather and Furnace Creek, Death Valley is supposed to be about 80º today............Perfect. Interesting you're in Tonopah, I'll be there this Friday via FJR, and plan to visit Death Valley if it doesn't get too hot by then!

For flat-out fun....it's hard to beat the 260 mile version that includes Rachel and the Little A'Le'Inn on the E.T. Highway.
Depending on the conditions, it might be possible to beat google's 4 hour 10 minute time estimate for that stretch...
rolleyes.gif

Depending on the conditions, it might be possible to beat google's 4 hour 10 minute time estimate for that stretch...
rolleyes.gif
+1, Good point, "Warp Speed" is possible, and often desirable, on that route, which may be a bit faster than Google's estimate.

I'm with you Iggy. Done that route a couple of times, just make sure to gas up in Tonopah as gas in Rachel is sometimes iffy. Great road also if you plan to turn off east to Caliente.

rolleyes.gif
Oh yeah !!
rolleyes.gif

Don't forget to check out the Area 51 aliens at the restaurant in Rachel. And watch out for low-flying planes - the road signs will remind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spud,I just checked the weather and Furnace Creek, Death Valley is supposed to be about 80º today............Perfect. Interesting you're in Tonopah, I'll be there this Friday via FJR, and plan to visit Death Valley if it doesn't get too hot by then!
Small world! I'm planning on going from IF to Tonapah Saturday, Death Valley Sunday....but still trying to finalize work issues...

Don't forget to check out the Area 53 aliens at the restaurant in Rachel. And watch out for low-flying planes - the road signs will remind you.
You mean Area 51?? Don't tell me there's an area 53 too??
rolleyes.gif
The Nevada Test site does have areas 1-30 covered well here. We have an LD rally master that knows some of those areas well from his day job.

Where areas 31-50 and 52-whatever areas...are a bit more

or mundane depending on your personal predilection for conspiracy theories.
All I know is that the area's roads fail miserably to match Google estimates for transit times...to the rider's advantage and detriment to MPG. There's a whole lotta this. The E.T. Highway is marked 70 mph and a far better place than 55 and 35 markings for Death Valley to explore FJR nominal speeds IMO. ;)

And it will also be an area frequented by a low-flying swarm of FJRs next month.

Yep, it's possible to go real fast on that route. It's also possible that when you're in the middle of empty desert with apparently unlimited visibility and clear sight lines for miles, a Nevada trooper will appear out of nowhere and nab you. I don't know where that guy was hiding!

Also, a lot of Iggy's route is inside the park, and the park rangers are zealous, speed limit-wise.

I'm definitely more interested in Iggy's first suggested route, as I want to go into the park (I've also ridden the ET before)....

Is there a reason for the out-n-back on the Badwater Road section? It looks like you could go straight through to the 178 (Jubilee Pass Road) further south, then into Pahrump. It looks like Badwater is paved all the way (?)

Thanks for the quick suggestions. Can't wait to feel the 100 degree weather down there (snowing here today)....

That would be 200 miles Tonopah to Pahrump, so gas situation would be OK...

I'm definitely more interested in Iggy's first suggested route, as I want to go into the park (I've also ridden the ET before)....
Is there a reason for the out-n-back on the Badwater Road section? It looks like you could go straight through to the 178 (Jubilee Pass Road) further south, then into Pahrump. It looks like Badwater is paved all the way (?)

Thanks for the quick suggestions. Can't wait to feel the 100 degree weather down there (snowing here today)....

That would be 200 miles Tonopah to Pahrump, so gas situation would be OK...
You can carry on through Jubilee pass. It is an awesome ride. Iggy's route with this slight modification is the way to go. IMHO

US-95 between Tonopah and Beatty is heavily enforced, with caravans of instant-on wielding cruisers. Take appropriate care.

I had it that way so ya could go to dantes view on the way out

5526502413_f43b3737e2_z.jpg

So hit Badwater, turn around to do the Dante's View Road, instead of continuing out through Jubilee Pass.....

Sounds like a plan. See--there's something I would have missed for sure, which is why I like the input on here
smile.png

And the questions continue..... Gas.....

Looks like I can fill up in Goldfield, do the out and back to Badwater, then do the Dante's View Road, then into Pahrump, per Google is about 230 miles. While I know I can do 230 miles on a tank, I get nervous relying on a map for that distance. Any fuel along that route I'm not aware of? Thanks again....