Too Easy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lerdog

Reaction score
I have followed this forum for a couple of months now. I am amazed at how nonchalant FJR owners are about buying a bike that costs $12-13K and needs to be torn apart after a few hundred miles to balance throttles, disconnect throttle return springs, and make Barbarian mods that mean cutting wires and altering connectors. It takes a couple of thousand miles to shift smoothly and reliably. What gives? It's as if any price is not too high to pay for 150hp or "all of that torque". Kick stand needs to be watched very carefully so that you don't drop the bike? No problem. As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good. One year warranty? What's with that?

You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be. You guys cut Yammy way too much slack.

Gene, well say. That's what I was wondering too :)

I'm riding a 1997 CBR1100XX and was looking for a FJR for 2up

riding so I tried to read as much as I could. I was also amazed

at the patience and tolerance of FJR owners given to Yamaha.

And it was these little glitches here and there that I'm waiting

for a 07 to see how it is. I really don't want to have to do all

these things to a new bike to make it ridable (strenghten the

center stand, throttle body sync, TPS sensor, CO adjustments,

removing throttle return springs etc... and etc...)

May be I'm used to my CBR1100XX. My 97 was the 1st model

year and it has been 9 years and all I ever did to it was

changing oil and filter and spark plugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have followed this forum for a couple of months now. I am amazed at how nonchalant FJR owners are about buying a bike that costs $12-13K and needs to be torn apart after a few hundred miles to balance throttles, disconnect throttle return springs, and make Barbarian mods that mean cutting wires and altering connectors. It takes a couple of thousand miles to shift smoothly and reliably. What gives? It's as if any price is not too high to pay for 150hp or "all of that torque". Kick stand needs to be watched very carefully so that you don't drop the bike? No problem. As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good. One year warranty? What's with that?
You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be. You guys cut Yammy way too much slack.
Compared to what? Everything is relative... Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

The throttle sync is actually required as part of the 600 mile maintenance. You don't have to do it yourself.

I personally haven't done any of the other "mods" to my 06 and haven't felt the need.

- No Kickstand "Fix"s yet

- No Barbarian Jumper/Co2 Modifications

- No Throttle spring unwinding.

I have however adjusted some throttle cable slack but hey, cable stretch ya know? I have almost 5,000 miles on it now.

Bike Shifts OK to me, bout the same as my ZX-11 did, perhaps a little harder to get back into first at times, but the tranny is a little different, but I've adjusted.

Maybe if I had ridden or owned an 03-05 I would want my 05 to be more like that. My most recent frame of reference is a 98 ZX-11 and the more it responds like that bike the better it is to me.

:D

Compared to what? Everything is relative... Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
The throttle sync is actually required as part of the 600 mile maintenance. You don't have to do it yourself.

I personally haven't done any of the other "mods" to my 06 and haven't felt the need.

- No Kickstand "Fix"s yet

- No Barbarian Jumper/Co2 Modifications

- No Throttle spring unwinding.

I have however adjusted some throttle cable slack but hey, cable stretch ya know? I have almost 5,000 miles on it now.

Bike Shifts OK to me, bout the same as my ZX-11 did, perhaps a little harder to get back into first at times, but the tranny is a little different, but I've adjusted.

Maybe if I had ridden or owned an 03-05 I would want my 05 to be more like that. My most recent frame of reference is a 98 ZX-11 and the more it responds like that bike the better it is to me.

:D
+1 None of those "necessary" mods for me, tho' I did order a new seat. But most bikes have pretty sucky stock seats.

Talk about low expectations... Buy a Concours and do all the necessary stuff, then check back. 'nuff said. ;)

Is the 600 mile maintenance free? If not then having to fork over money after 600 miles to sync my throttle body is not acceptable to me. Could you imagine car buyers being asked to come back afte 600 miles and pay for service? That car brand would be in the toilet.

The 600 mile maintenance is not free. It's also not secret and not unordinary in motorcycles. Motorcycles, especially ones with sport in their name, are typically higher maintenance than cars....even Blackbirds.

I would suggest your description at the beginning of "how nonchalant FJR owners" is off. Insert "some" in there and I'd agree.

Nobody's cutting Yamaha slack here. We're expecting that if somebody has a beef they convince the group it's a group issue with large numbers of bikes and not just a perception issue by the one or few or a problem in one or a few bikes.

I've been on this board long enough to see the unreasonable expectations come and go and I've been on long enough that problems get resolved only when the author of statements convinces the community.

I haven't decided yet if there are some issues with the '06 or if it's the owners' perceptions.

Until then, fishheads to the glass half-empty crowd.

Some people are happy with a bike just as the manufacturer makes it. I know I was with the previous cruiser. Sorta fat dumb & happy, ya know ?

I didn't know about suspensions, seats, extra lighting, replacement windshields, tuning adjustments, suspension adjustments, tire quality & mileage, replacement bulbs, accessory sockets, long distance riding, apexs & turn points, countersteering & lean angles. and all sorts of other things that slip my mind. I've put 22,500 miles on this bike in 14 months and I still think it's the best bike I've ever owned. I enjoy this bike so much I sometimes want to make it the perfect bike for me, something I've never had before.

Yes I've added things to the bike like a Givi top case, Wilburs suspension, replacement horns, fork brace, bag reflectors, sliders & more, but I view it as making a damn good bike better.

Some people like touring & that's fine. Some people like sport & that's fine too. Me, I like both, & this bike gives me a fun ride on either.

Haven't needed to: a throttle body sync, a Barbarian mod, throttle spring adjustment or any of the other stuff you've mentioned. Baby shifts fine & has from day one. The only wrenching I do is changing the oil & the bike has needed nothing except routine maintenance.

So tell me, is your Gold Wing perfect ?

(edit)

I just went to 1800goldwing.com, registered, logged in, tried to access the forum topic labeled "Overheating, frame cracks & other general complaints about the bike", got the message:

"Sorry, but only users granted special access can read topics in this forum. "

Seems like they're not accepting any new members, either that or they're a little sensitive...

(/edit)

Is the 600 mile maintenance free? If not then having to fork over money after 600 miles to sync my throttle body is not acceptable to me. Could you imagine car buyers being asked to come back afte 600 miles and pay for service? That car brand would be in the toilet.
Wow, OK...

It's not a car, it's a motorcycle. It requires a little more care in some cases. If you want less maintenance consider a scooter.

You can of course ignore the 600 mile maintenance, the only thing on there really other than the Throttle body sync is fluid changes and checking of bolts for proper torque.

This is nothing new... My 1998 ZX-11 had a first service interval of 800k which is only 500miles that included a carb sync, and a valve check, which uhm was a hell of a lot harder.

So at least in 8 years Yamaha has pushed their first service forward 100 miles ;)

+1 to stock.

I enjoy the bike as is just fine...and then some.

I had two Blackbirds, a first year and later a PGM-FI model. If your rig is a 97 it is either a very low mile garage queen or the crap Honda suspension is totally shot. I loved my XX's and racked up lots of miles on both of them, but they aren't even close to the FJR in power or handling.

I have a stock '06 FJR with no mods needed so far. Though I will probably tighten the throttle cables this weekend, something I've done to every bike I've owned. You can bounce over to the XX forum and those guys are modding the hell out of them as well. It is just something that guys like to do to (at least in their minds) make the scoot better.

If you haven't yet, you should take an FJR out for a test ride or trade with a buddy, it will open your eyes. Though the FJR engine isn't as buttery smooth as the XX, however.

YMMV

No worries mate...those here with a wrench head mantra love to make these mods. These alterations are just to make those who sit on the sidelines like yourself wonder in amazment. Until you've tried this bike don't knock it. One you missed is many of us here ordered this bike without even riding it as it is not usually available at the local dealer to test ride. Go figure. Any bike I ever owned I tweeked it and changed things around to line up with my expectations and riding comfort. There's nothing nonchalant about spending $12-$15K for a motorcycle. I myself investigated this bike for 3 years but never rode one and decided this was the bike for me and I have not regretted one minute of it. It just keeps getting better and better. The durability is well known and is considered almost bullet proof. Oh, and I never had any problem with the kickstand as long as it is all the way down and shifting has never been a problem. So what kind of bike do your ride? Take care, PM. <>< ;)

Hmm...efforts to make the FJR better are examples of low expectations. :huh: I'll take it with a positive note and suggest that FJR riders expect the best (super) sport-tourers and are simply trying to upgrade their machines to meet their personal definition of the best machine.

My FJR remains mod-free except for Moko sliders. Not cut wires. No jumped thingies.

Oh, and I'll be the one waving to the Goldwing riders as I pass their parade :whistle:

I sold my Goldwing to get the FJR. So far, i have made no mods. Did my own 600 mile service and sync'ed the Throttle Bodies. Why? I like doing that kind of stuff. I did my own work on the Wing too. I installed a 70 aspect rear tire to improve cornering clearance. I put different pipes on it. etc, etc, etc. It's my bike; I'll do what i want to it and know that the work that was done was done right (I hope) :p

The FJR is a great bike. It gives you good touring ability and good sport ability. To me; it's perfect.

And there is a vast difference between what HAS to be done and what I WANT to do. Sure, I've added many "personalizations" but my '05 basic platform is bone stock (Yes, I have removed the Holeshots and returned to stock mufflers).

I would agree that the TBS is much more difficult to do on the '06s because there is the extra heat-shield to remove, but other bikes I've owned required the carburetors to be in synch. Big whoopee!

If you are going to be put off by those who love to tinker and refine their bikes then this might not be the bike or website for you. With my '05, I pretty much change the fluids and ride it (just like I did with the '04 that preceded it).

[SIZE=8pt]Oh sure! Now that I'm 3 posts past the "high water mark of 2K" the Forum post count reads 2,000. Sheesh! Is this some kind of conspiracy? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=8pt]Oh sure! Now that I'm 3 posts past the "high water mark of 2K" the Forum post count reads 2,000. Sheesh! Is this some kind of conspiracy? [/SIZE]
You have entered the TWN Zone. I'm afraid there are certain road blocks set up to prevent anyone from exceeding my, um, condition. Sorry, I take full responsibility. :(

I myself investigated this bike for 3 years but never rode one and decided this was the bike for me and I have not regretted one minute of it.
No investigation by me...

Went to my dealer to get some parts for my Bandit and I saw the bike on the showroom floor. Made a deal, gave them my old bike and rode to my wife's office to get her signature on the loan papers!

That was 10,000 miles ago... and while I've made some modifications, none of them were because of defects!

Hondas are perfect????

I 've owned nine motorcycles in the past thirty five years. The last three have been an ST1100, an ST1300ABS, and my new FJR1300A. The FJR is by far the best all around bike (for me) that I have owned. I have done a little farkling (Throttlemeister, Cee Bailey +2 sheild, etc) but in my opinion the only must do mod is releasing the tension on one of the throttle springs. One of our Forum members came over and helped me do this (thanks Paul) in less than 1/2 hour. Since then I have helped another Forum member do likewise on his new AE in less than 1/2 hour

I have 1,300 miles on it so far and havn't synched the TB's or done the Barbarian mod. Paul has done both. I've ridden his bike and he's ridden mine and I can tell you that there's not a whole lot of difference. This is a great bike. Perfect, no. It would have been nice if Yamaha had gotten everything right, they didn't. This bike is worth the time, effort, and money spent to try to make it perfect. That's the bottom line.