Too Easy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe we shouldn't let you off so easy eh?

[SIZE=24pt]TROLL![/SIZE]

:D

Almost all bikes need some tweaking right. I've got 10K of GSX-R in my garage that needs about $800 more of tweaks before it's what I want. And I've been tweaking all summer!

My 05 however is almost stock and I like it quite a bit. I added a PCIII, Holeshots, Frame Sliders, SuperBrace.

But I'll meet you halfway on this post. If there is one area where Yamaha should step it up a bit it's their EFI which fucking sucks on all their bikes IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gene,

Like everyone with everything...to each their own.

My FJR is bone stock as far as mechanical. I added a few things for comfort and safety, otherwise my 04 is fine out of the box.

The latest bitching mainly comes from 06 owners. The amount of complaining 06 owners is very small compared to satisfied.

If you think there is a perfect machine out there, you need to come back to reality.

If you think any bike does not need TLC and maintenance, you are living in a dream world.

If you are happy with your Wing, stay with it.

Your first post was waaaaay off. The only thing required is to do TBS. That takes 20 minutes and is required.

It is required on any EFI engine. Any carb needs tuning as well. You don't think so....ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Throttle spring crap and barbarian mods etc, etc, not required. Some like to play with their bike, its in their nature.

Smooth and reliable shifting...since day one. It shifts the way a constant mesh tranny with hydraulic clutch should shift.

etc etc etc

Some like their bike stock, some like to mess with it because they can. To each their own.

Thanks Smoov, good to hear from the experience of a former XX rider.

I sat on a 06 FJR and I really like the sitting position and I felt like I could

ride it all day. Of course no dealer offers a demo ride here in SoCal either :)

I agree that the XX suspension sucks big time and I had to upgrade it

after 30k miles or so! :)

As to the power, I don't think the FJR is better? The XX makes 135 hp at the wheel

with a wet weight of about 540-550lbs, while the FJR makes 127 hp at the wheel

with a wet weight of about 630-640 lbs (https://www.fjr1300.info/chart.html) while the

torque is about the same between the 2 at around 70-80 ft-lbs.

I'm still looking around for a dealer that has 1 in stock and doesn't sell it

at MSRP :) I'm not in a rush so I can get it now or wait for the 07.

Thanks.

I had two Blackbirds, a first year and later a PGM-FI model. If your rig is a 97 it is either a very low mile garage queen or the crap Honda suspension is totally shot. I loved my XX's and racked up lots of miles on both of them, but they aren't even close to the FJR in power or handling.
I have a stock '06 FJR with no mods needed so far. Though I will probably tighten the throttle cables this weekend, something I've done to every bike I've owned. You can bounce over to the XX forum and those guys are modding the hell out of them as well. It is just something that guys like to do to (at least in their minds) make the scoot better.

If you haven't yet, you should take an FJR out for a test ride or trade with a buddy, it will open your eyes. Though the FJR engine isn't as buttery smooth as the XX, however.

YMMV

Compared to my 3 Gold Wings, this bike is a piece of cake. Most of the things I've done I also did to the Wings. The difference is that the periodic maintenance (beyond oil/filer changes) was done by a shop (at a much-elevated total price to me). The FJR is so easy to work on that I do many PC items more frequently than they need to be simply because I want to.

The benefit to me is that the settings are less likely to drift off "perfect" than those 3 Wings because they are checked and tweaked more often. Also a shop will look a the spec tollerances and skip some steps if it's within spec. I'll go to the trouble of fine tuning something that might be within spec but could be set closer to the target setting (TBS for example).

Beyond routine maintenance, everything else is setting a standard bike up for my personal preferences. All of that is optional. I've never had a bike that was a perfect fit for me. Most people aren't the "average rider" for which a production-line bike is built.

BTW: +1 on the Troll assessment.

The FJR is a great bike right out of the box but if FJR owners find simple changes or add ons that they think makes the bike better for them (Why not share)? You may or may not want or need to use the info but it is great to hear what others have done that works. This is what you are reading on this forum.

My 2 cents...

I took delivery of my 06A in June. Left in August for a cross country trek to San Diego from Virginia... 3,2220 miles in 5 days.

I didn't make ANY mods and it performed phenomenal... I also have a BMWK1200RS, and IMHO, the FJR rides smoother and shifts easier than my K1200RS.

I own a Goldwing. My point about not being demanding is not that I think that Goldwings are perfect. And no, I am not Fred's cousin, but I am a great admirer of his. I will note that when Fred pointed out a design weakness of the kickstand he was showered with cracks about how you just are supposed to pay attention. On the Goldwing board members would have seen his point about a foolproof way to engage the stand being a good idea. Here they thought it was a joke. Why not just eliminate the rev limiter and tell riders to just pay attention to the tach?

It is true that I painted too broad a picture of FJR owners as being "nonchalant" Point taken. Motorcycles require more mainteneance than a car, but is that because buyers accept that as a given? My two Wings required about the same maintenance as a car. I think that buyers ought to jump up and down on manufacturer's chests about making machines that run properly right out of the box. I am not talking about farkles. Farkles are by their very nature optional things and a matter of taste.

I will stick my neck out here and theorize that many buyers are moving from sport bikes and other models where they are just used to lots of tweaks being necessary. When you ride a Wing you just want to be able to ride from day one.

I will say that responses above from people who say that they have done just that is reassuring. I may have let myself fall into the trap of not considering the many happy riders who don't have any reason to post.

Also, I have owned a Yamaha before and have been underwhelmed with the support from the dealer and company when a head cracked after a couple of months as one pointed to the other about who was responsible while my bike sat in a shop for two months. I also believe that when a company only warranties their product for one year there is an excellent reason. Help me out here. Is that not the shortest warranty for the Honda/BMW/Yamaha group?

My two Wings required about the same maintenance as a car.
I've had 3 different models of Wings. The reason for your point is because the Wings might as well be cars. GVW and performance, as well a fuel consumption, are about on a par with the Civics their owners desire.

Check out some performance cars with the same (or even close) power-to-weight ratios and see what their maintenance schedules are.

[quote name='mikerider' date='Sep 2 2006, 01:20 PM'

As to the power, I don't think the FJR is better? The XX makes 135 hp at the wheel

with a wet weight of about 540-550lbs, while the FJR makes 127 hp at the wheel

with a wet weight of about 630-640 lbs (https://www.fjr1300.info/chart.html) while the

torque is about the same between the 2 at around 70-80 ft-lbs.

My partner's 03 Blackbird is rated at 160hp, 69 footpounds of torque at the crank. My 06 FJRAE is rated at 145hp, and 99 footpounds of torque at the crank, same as my previous 04 ABS, so torque is DEFINITELY not equal. As you stated, the Blackbird IS more powerful and faster by about 40kph, but I can ride the Blackbird about 200kms max in a day, the FJR, at least 1100kms in a day.

I have followed this forum for a couple of months now. I am amazed at how nonchalant FJR owners are about buying a bike that costs $12-13K and needs to be torn apart after a few hundred miles to balance throttles, disconnect throttle return springs, and make Barbarian mods that mean cutting wires and altering connectors. It takes a couple of thousand miles to shift smoothly and reliably. What gives? It's as if any price is not too high to pay for 150hp or "all of that torque". Kick stand needs to be watched very carefully so that you don't drop the bike? No problem. As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good. One year warranty? What's with that?
You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be. You guys cut Yammy way too much slack.
I don't think you are a real biker either. Troll I tell ya.

:angry2:

Oh, I forgot to ask. Have you held a wrench in your hand? You did - great! And what does it look like? Pics please.

Until then, fishheads to the glass half-empty crowd.
Matt, if you're gonna feed 'em fishheads, remember to refer them to my sigfile.

:)
I am feeling neglected. How come I dont' rate a quote in your sig?

Here's one for ya:

"If my dog was as ugly as RadioHowie, I would shave it's ass and make it walk backwards."

Have a nice day.

When you ride a Wing you just want to be able to ride from day one.
That's true of any motorcycle. Me, I had to mod the shit outta my GL1800 (seat and pegs, mostly) just to be able to ride it more than two hours. Most gawd awful ergos for taller riders bar none, but I didn't consider that as a defect or problem with the machine. Rather, I had to adjust to fit it.

And, not all Honda motorcycles carry a multi-year warranty and BMW doesn't even publish their warranty on their site (or if they do, they make it damn hard to find), so I can't imagine it's all that hot.

In the end, I think you're right... Yamahas suck, especially the FJR. Don't buy one, you'll be better off. ;)

Why not just eliminate the rev limiter and tell riders to just pay attention to the tach?
Works for me. Why, just today, I managed to bang off 4 sweet shifts at 9 thou exactly post TBS, idle and Unauth. I have taken a Yami work of art and made it mine. And thats what it's all about. ;)

Maybe we shouldn't let you off so easy eh?
[SIZE=24pt]TROLL![/SIZE]

:D

Almost all bikes need some tweaking right. I've got 10K of GSX-R in my garage that needs about $800 more of tweaks before it's what I want. And I've been tweaking all summer!

My 05 however is almost stock and I like it quite a bit. I added a PCIII, Holeshots, Frame Sliders, SuperBrace.

But I'll meet you halfway on this post. If there is one area where Yamaha should step it up a bit it's their EFI which fucking sucks on all their bikes IMO.

I own a Goldwing. My point about not being demanding is not that I think that Goldwings are perfect. And no, I am not Fred's cousin, but I am a great admirer of his. I will note that when Fred pointed out a design weakness of the kickstand he was showered with cracks about how you just are supposed to pay attention. On the Goldwing board members would have seen his point about a foolproof way to engage the stand being a good idea. Here they thought it was a joke. Why not just eliminate the rev limiter and tell riders to just pay attention to the tach?
It is true that I painted too broad a picture of FJR owners as being "nonchalant" Point taken. Motorcycles require more mainteneance than a car, but is that because buyers accept that as a given? My two Wings required about the same maintenance as a car. I think that buyers ought to jump up and down on manufacturer's chests about making machines that run properly right out of the box. I am not talking about farkles. Farkles are by their very nature optional things and a matter of taste.

I will stick my neck out here and theorize that many buyers are moving from sport bikes and other models where they are just used to lots of tweaks being necessary. When you ride a Wing you just want to be able to ride from day one.

I will say that responses above from people who say that they have done just that is reassuring. I may have let myself fall into the trap of not considering the many happy riders who don't have any reason to post.

Also, I have owned a Yamaha before and have been underwhelmed with the support from the dealer and company when a head cracked after a couple of months as one pointed to the other about who was responsible while my bike sat in a shop for two months. I also believe that when a company only warranties their product for one year there is an excellent reason. Help me out here. Is that not the shortest warranty for the Honda/BMW/Yamaha group?
Enuff already. You don't have f'ing clue where you get off and voice your crap.

THIS IS THE BEST SPORT-TOURING BIKE - BAR NONE!

Now, STFU.

Guys & Gals (I mean the forum's legitimate members) - this guy is a troll. Let him post and we should ignore from now on.

ps: I don't think people like you pay attention to my sig. But then again, you are one of the ass-holes - get it dude? :p

Maybe FJR people are as particular (anal) as BMW people about their bikes. So there is more noticed problems and more posted bitching.

I'm on my second FJR and I will admit I don't like the throttle spring tension on the '04 or especially the '06. I changed it today. Thanks forum... I knew I could do so if I wanted to, even before I bought the '06.

I've had 7 bikes in 3 years, and didn't make many mods (other than farkles) to most because you just had to ride what you 'brung. No owner's forums bitching about this or that and this is the fix, etc.... just ride it because nobody seemed interested in fixing the short comings. I appreciate this forum for fixing things I want to change and even things I don't feel important to me to change.

I knew about the FJR lacking some things like cancelling signals, and dim indicators... the FZ1 had the same deal... but I bought it anyway and made a farkle to fix both.

I'd like to have more bang for my bucks, but at least if you follow this forum, you can go into the marriage with your eyes open... and informed.

For better or for worse, 'till death do us part, etc... too bad there is not a forum like this for prospective bride grooms. B)

I have followed this forum for a couple of months now. I am amazed at how nonchalant FJR owners are about buying a bike that costs $12-13K and needs to be torn apart after a few hundred miles to balance throttles, disconnect throttle return springs, and make Barbarian mods that mean cutting wires and altering connectors. It takes a couple of thousand miles to shift smoothly and reliably. What gives? It's as if any price is not too high to pay for 150hp or "all of that torque". Kick stand needs to be watched very carefully so that you don't drop the bike? No problem. As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good. One year warranty? What's with that?
You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be. You guys cut Yammy way too much slack.
Gene, most of us on this forum are here because we love the FJR, and most of us actually own one. I see no shame if finding ways to improve it. I rode mine home 725 miles from the dealer - bone stock, and loved it. Yes, I've made ONE of the mods you have mentioned since then (the return spring). I now have 4,200 miles on it, and still love it.

But here is a question for you. If you think it is such a piece of shit, then why are you hanging around this forum? I would think you would be spending all of your time on perfectbikeforum.com :rolleyes:

I will note that when Fred pointed out a design weakness of the kickstand he was showered with cracks about how you just are supposed to pay attention. On the Goldwing board members would have seen his point about a foolproof way to engage the stand being a good idea.
:nod: Fred took entirely too much Shit over that.

Motorcycles require more maintenance than a car, but is that because buyers accept that as a given?
Most are higher performance machines and that's the nature of the beast. Sports cars too require much more maintenance than your average Honda Accord.

My two Wings required about the same maintenance as a car.
When you ride a Wing you just want to be able to ride from day one.
This is the motorcycle equivalent of the Honda Accord in quality, Cadillac in comfort, I too would expect to just ride the SOB for the price, size and comfort level.

Is that not the shortest warranty for the Honda/BMW/Yamaha group?
Yamaha YES, coverage can get you up to 5 years if you want it for pretty dang cheap. Plenty of other Manufacturers have only 1 year warranties. Ever tried to get warranty work done on a dirt bike? That's basically non-existent.

"too bad there is not a forum like this for prospective bride grooms." -zzzzip
That there is signature worthy...