Too Easy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you guys are so dumb. I never said that the bike was a POS. Stop acting like somebody said that you had a tiny pee pee.

Some of you guys are so dumb. I never said that the bike was a POS. Stop acting like somebody said that you had a tiny pee pee.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzha ha ha ha - you said pee pee!!!!! :D :D

Personally I care more about my ride.....

I have followed this forum for a couple of months now. I am amazed at how nonchalant FJR owners are about buying a bike that costs $12-13K and needs to be torn apart after a few hundred miles to balance throttles, disconnect throttle return springs, and make Barbarian mods that mean cutting wires and altering connectors. It takes a couple of thousand miles to shift smoothly and reliably. What gives? It's as if any price is not too high to pay for 150hp or "all of that torque". Kick stand needs to be watched very carefully so that you don't drop the bike? No problem. As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good. One year warranty? What's with that?
You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be. You guys cut Yammy way too much slack.
I fear that everyone has held back a little here. Good thing I'm in a mood, because my advice is to go **** yourself.

Nobody here is crying that they paid too much and they gotta do all this stuff to their bike to make it work. To the contrary, if you had actually read the forum, you'd find that FJR owners know they got the best deal on the best bike available. You'd find that we are mostly content with the bike out of the box but like customizing it to make it our own. You'd find that we like wrenching and sharing stories with our friends in this community to help each other out and that is why we post this stuff. You'd find that we are an incredibly proud group finding solutions and making our bikes even better than stock, and certainly far better than any other on the road. You'd find that nothing NEEDS be "torn apart". You'd find that a very, good, long warranty can be had for very little money. You'd find a lot of things, if you had actually read the forum.

You don't like that we are out here doing this, no problem dude. It's a free internet. Just be careful - when you go around kicking in doors, eventually someone will be standing on the other side and will knock you on your ass.

You're not actually going to try this, are you?

-BD

There isn't a bike made that isn't modified and tinkered with to some extent by alot of people. In the past I was one of them. My '82 GS1100 (which I still have) got a bunch of modifications done to it that weren't needed, but were what I wanted at the time 20 years ago. Then my 1500 Vulcan got the same treatment and after awhile you get used to everything new and it feels like stock again. As for my '05, What I HAD to do was add a taller windscreen, a new seat and grips. Otherwise it's bone stock and I love it! I'll never come close NEEDING 3 more HP etc. But some people like to tweak and I don't blame them. By the way, after riding my GS1100 with bias ply tires and early '80s suspension and handling, My Yammie feels like HEAVEN with very little done to it. I save lots of $$$ just by taking the Suzuki out now and then and then hopping on the FJR... AHHHHHHHHHH. Smooooooth.

I myself investigated this bike for 3 years but never rode one and decided this was the bike for me and I have not regretted one minute of it.
No investigation by me...

Went to my dealer to get some parts for my Bandit and I saw the bike on the showroom floor. Made a deal, gave them my old bike and rode to my wife's office to get her signature on the loan papers!

That was 10,000 miles ago... and while I've made some modifications, none of them were because of defects!
+1...I too was taken aback the first minute I saw this bike. The three year statement was a uh hum, a coverup to say I was saving my pennies for three years to buy the most honerable FJR. It was love at first sight. PM. <>< ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gene...I also had an 1800 goldwing. I got rid of the bike because I was tired of lying on my garage floor looking for frame cracks on an $18000 bike. I hated rolling up on an accident scene knowing I was going to overheat at parade mode..( trying to stay in 2nd gear is harder than you think). I enjoyed having my radio come and go as it pleased and poking holes in my drive boot to keep it from being chewed up. Am I downing the goldwing..absolutely not. It was the smoothest riding bike I ever had. I just couldn't stop worrying about the frame. I know Fred from goldwing and concours sites and have great respect for him also..loved the dvd's. The goldwing would be the bike for long tours..but for twistie, exciting, yeahaw...its hard to beat the fjr. How often do you really go on long tours. All bikes have problems as do cars, stereos, ...the list goes on and on. Money drives everything nowadays and the want to get a product out as quickly as they can. Good luck in whatever your decision.

Buckford ;)

I love my 06A. New seat, throttle rocker, gps. Nothing else. Yes, the throttel is twitchy. I can handle it. No need for TB synch. Best bike I've ever had. Period. Love to ride it, fast and slow and it will be my last bike I am sure. :)

You can't look at the bike without the owners. The kind of people that buy an FJR are different than those that buy a Goldwing. Many forum members (not me) have track experience, others coming from other fast bikes such as the blackbird. I would guess that the average profile of an FJR owner is someone that is more aggressive and more likely to mod their bike. There isn't a bike made that they wouldn't mod.

As for the maintenance, as has already been pointed it this is a high performance machine, they do require more maintenance. If you don't want to do the maintenance don't. Its a Japanese bike, probably will run a long time without so much as an oil change.

+1 Brundog

Gene, go back and read your original post on this thread. Now, do you really thing we are so "dumb" that given your words we are making a wrong assumption that you are implying that it is a POS? I may not be the smartest person in the world, but I can read that post and feel pretty confident that you were trying to stir some shit by making us think you think it's a piece of shit. Now you come back and insult us for a second time on the same thread (as a Gold Wing owner, you have actually insulted me a third time).

Time for you to move on to another forum and insult a new set of customers with the same kind of post. I'll bet they react the same, and they will ask you to move on as well.

By the way, what kind of motorcycle do you own? Maybe there is a forum for it.

I am not sure about Lerdog... I searched through his other posts and I'm a little confused. After a test ride, it looks like Lerdog really likes the FJR...

I finally got to test ride an '06A today. I am a Goldwing rider. I must say that in many ways it made the Wing feel like riding an 18 wheeler. The shifting was smooth and quiet. The handling was smooth and "user friendly". It just sailed through curves. The biggest negative that I noticed was the helmet noise even with the shield all of the way up. It really gave me an appreciation of the still air pocket behind the Cee Bailey on my Wing. Now I have to decide to buy or not to buy.
It also looks like he likes to stir things up...

Great. Another member who thinks profanity is cute. Hey moderators why don't you enforce a little civility on this board.
Is he a Troll or just hard to please?

I'd be pissed if I paid $18k for a tourer then had to buy my own fuzzy animal for the trunk...

Guess I'm cheap.

Pepperell

Hey....we could all start a fund to help him buy the 'Wing (with a link to the 'Wing owner's forums)--

then we'd all be happy.

B)

You can't look at the bike without the owners. The kind of people that buy an FJR are different than those that buy a Goldwing. Many forum members (not me) have track experience, others coming from other fast bikes such as the blackbird. I would guess that the average profile of an FJR owner is someone that is more aggressive and more likely to mod their bike. There isn't a bike made that they wouldn't mod.
As for the maintenance, as has already been pointed it this is a high performance machine, they do require more maintenance. If you don't want to do the maintenance don't. Its a Japanese bike, probably will run a long time without so much as an oil change.

+1 Brundog
:unsure: +1 V65.

Scheduled maintenance/cost of maintenance on this bike is less then BMW, Ducati etc., etc.

Must reiterate that high percentage of owners of the FJR come from previous high performance bikes such as Busa, Blackbird, ZX-11, ZX-12, CBR1000RR, GIXER1000, R-1, etc., etc.

High percentage of FJR owners are also mechanics, engineers and pilots who all like to tinker and modify their toys. Not that Yamaha says you have to do any of these mods or farkling.

We just like to, so we do and we like to talk about it and boy, do we do that too.

So, Lerdog, my little grasshopper, time to find another fire hydrant to pee on because this one is rigged by all the engineers to give you an electric shock if you pee on ours.

iirc what was said was that you had dickus minisculous. when you put down your sippy cup, you'll learn an adult term for dick.

I finally got to test ride an '06A today. I am a Goldwing rider. I must say that in many ways it made the Wing feel like riding an 18 wheeler. The shifting was smooth and quiet. The handling was smooth and "user friendly". It just sailed through curves. The biggest negative that I noticed was the helmet noise even with the shield all of the way up. It really gave me an appreciation of the still air pocket behind the Cee Bailey on my Wing. Now I have to decide to buy or not to buy.
It also looks like he likes to stir things up...
It would also appear that were he to actually get a Feej, a windshield would be first on his shoppi...wait, could it be.........? :unsure:

I have followed this forum for a couple of months now. I am amazed at how nonchalant FJR owners are about buying a bike that costs $12-13K and needs to be torn apart after a few hundred miles to balance throttles, disconnect throttle return springs, and make Barbarian mods that mean cutting wires and altering connectors. It takes a couple of thousand miles to shift smoothly and reliably. What gives? It's as if any price is not too high to pay for 150hp or "all of that torque". Kick stand needs to be watched very carefully so that you don't drop the bike? No problem. As long as excellent wrenching skills can fix the problem it's all good. One year warranty? What's with that?
You can tell the Goldwing riders in the group. They think that this stuff should not be. You guys cut Yammy way too much slack.
05 ABS here. over 22K miles thus far. After reading the FJR forums (yes there are others) for several years now, I thought the same thing for a while. Then it slowly (yes sometimes I'm slow!) came to me:

1. Perhaps as a group we (or at least me) are a bit anal.

2. Many of us tend to be perfectionists-don't believe me just check out the threads such as the one relating to crimping pliers & the best types. I mean "crimpers" for God's sake!

3. Many of us are so enamored with the FJR & how good it is we nitpik at the few imperfections.

4. Personally the only item I think Yamaha should have done a better job at is the heat coming off of the pre06's and appearently they addressed that on the 06 version.

5. One other thought. Many, if not most of us are in our 40's and beyond in age-Boomers we are. We've learned that we don't have to put up with minor things we would like changed. We simply take the bike by the bars and change it to suit ourselves. These FJR forums are terrific resources and they contain many varied opinions-a very good thing I think. As to the need to make Bababrian mods, I had no such need. As to easing the spring tension on the throttle. I found no need to do so. The modifications I have done to my FJR are only things that I did to make it more to my tastes, desires, & preferences. Please note that I did not list "need". If you have read the forums for very long you will note many of us are engineers, pilots, technicians, mechanics, and many other "gadget" folks. I speak only for myself. I do not find the FJR to be maintenance intensive for a large sport touring M/C.