Tools on the FJR: What additional ones do you carry?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also never leave home without one of these:

LEATHERMAN-MULTI-TOOL-DULTMEIER.jpg

One item I would highly suggest everyone carry with them (in the tool box or other readily accessible location) is a card listing emergency contacts.

If you are found in a state of unconsciousness, being able to contact next of kin is vital. Wear it around your neck if it is comfortable (like the ID card you wear for work).

Dan

One item I would highly suggest everyone carry with them (in the tool box or other readily accessible location) is a card listing emergency contacts.
Oooooo! Good one. Strictly speaking, not a tool, but a good safety item. I'll add this to the Safety Item list (being discussed in another thread).

Great discussion!

I've carried a fortified tool kit for a long time, both on my Harley and FJR.

The only tools I've ever needed on the road are my tire plug kit (string and 12v pump) and zip ties. I've been fortunate in that both items have been used not on my bike, but other's I was traveling with. Tie plug kit is self explanatory - zip ties were used to secure a GPS, and to secure a lower fairing where a fastener when missing.

As mentioned earlier - maintain the bike correctly, and it's rock solid reliable on the road.

Somewhere at 0-dark thirty, in windy as hell, only person on the road, no cell service, eastern Montana, I used a bunch of those tools when my '06' ignition died. side cutters, electrical tape, electrical wire, wire nut, flashlight, etc.

Saving grace was the FJR Forum had all ready seen the problem so I knew what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, you should have that on your phone. For those that carry smartphones, you have various options for lock screens ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact info. That way emergency personnel will know unless the phone's shattered. For rotary phone owners, sorry no such luck.

As a backup you should have your card on you/bike/car/etc.

GOOD LORD!....you lost me at "Space blanket" & "Road safety triangles".
Your prepared for the friggin Apocalypse!!!
Hardly. I have not put a geiger counter on the list.

Space blankets are , light, pack small, and pretty inexpensive. Other than their use as a thermal blanket, here are some things I've done with them:

• Cut a hole in the middle to make poncho because my dumb ass left my rain gear at home.
  • A tarp to cover a potted plant bungied to the back to protect it from the wind
  • Impromptu picknic blanket (Later that afternoon, we cut it up, and helped my niece make parachutes for her Barbies.)
I can think of a ton more uses too.

As for the safety triangles, I've had to change a car tire on the side of I-5 in Seattle in the dark. The shoulders are narrow, so there isn't much room to work. Also, we Seattle-ites are not famous for good driving. Scared the piss out of me. The next day I purchased safety triangles.

Anyway, YMMV

Not necessarily tools, but I carry a whistle and a magnesium fire starter in my jacket. I ride allot in the mountains and if I end up at the bottom of a mountain I can attract people with the whistle. If no one is around a small fire and smoke should do the job of attracting someone’s attention.

I purchased some custom dog togs that I wear when I ride, one has my name and identification info- SSN and blood type, no medical allergies etc. The other has 'In Case of Emergency' contact info- which is my 'handler' and wife.
rolleyes.gif
It has all of her phone numbers- work, home, and cell. I opted for the red silencers. I thought this would be easier for first responders to find, sometimes when responding to an emergency, they won't find the contact info that you thought was easily locatable, maybe because they don't know how to open the glove box, tool box or whatever, or your phone has a password lock on it. (Maybe you don't crash- but have a medical issue while eating inside a choke and puke) I also carry the info in my glove box with my insurance and registration, and have the 'ICE' info in my phone. I like the redundancy. Just my .02

Last edited by a moderator:
That last comment was supposed to have post #63 and 64 quoted in it.

I forgot I had this stashed in the bike until I was at the store and saw one in the checkout line, an eyeglass repair kit! I've had lenses fall out of my glasses through the years and I keep one of these damn kits everywhere!

I forgot I had this stashed in the bike until I was at the store and saw one in the checkout line, an eyeglass repair kit! I've had lenses fall out of my glasses through the years and I keep one of these damn kits everywhere!
Another topic for a list: Things I forgot I had with me when I needed to use them. Maddening.

Setting out on my very first SS1000 via MTF in 2 weeks from Harrisburg, SC.
The checklist helps a lot in the prep work.
Thanks so much for putting it together and sharing it.

I have way too much stuff, can't help myself even with a well maintained bike. Mostly fix other peoples shit to keep up my good karma.

Used almost everything over the years.

Maybe some kind of therapy will help.