Top box?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Epperson

Reaction score
I'm close to walking in and seeing what deal I can get on a FJR for me and a VStar 1300 / 'liner for my wife.

Currently we have saddle bags on both bikes which handle the day trip and overnight trips. When we go for multiple days, we tie a soft sided duffel bag over the passenger sit on one or both bikes.

What's the thoughts on a top box or not, Yamaha or after market, or "rack" mount to tie on stuff when needed?

TIA (Thanks in advance),

Roy

I've got a Givi V46 I'm quite happy with. It works out nicely as a backrest for the wife (with adapter plate to move it back a couple of inches) and it's waterproof. Installs/uninstalls in 10 seconds and it has a handle so it's easy to carry. The only downside is that the bike is a little nervous at speed riding solo with the trunk on.

Givi rocks.

I have the E52, myself. Its great....holds everything. Longer trips I use it as a suitcase and take the whole thing off when I check-in.... saves the trouble of using a bag inside which takes up space.

for helmets, it EASILY fits 2 full face. + extra crap on top, like gloves or other random things like that.

It's a staple on my FJR. saddlebags hardly get used, extra width I don't really need unless a long trip (week+)

Givi rocks.
I have the E52, myself. Its great....holds everything. Longer trips I use it as a suitcase and take the whole thing off when I check-in.... saves the trouble of using a bag inside which takes up space.

for helmets, it EASILY fits 2 full face. + extra crap on top, like gloves or other random things like that.

It's a staple on my FJR. saddlebags hardly get used, extra width I don't really need unless a long trip (week+)
My favorite thing about my E52 is that my laptop briefcase lays down inside it like it was custom made. It makes commuting a breeze. And the color match is nearly perfect.

I own a Yami box and have since the 05. Never liked the way the Givi 46 looked on the bike, but the Givi 52 looks more like it belongs with the bike, despite the fact it's larger. Just my opinion.

I put a Giv 46 on my '05 the first year I had it. I chose the 46 because it was available in matching blue. The Givi was less expensive than the Yamaha case and (it's a personal opinion thing) I don't like the look of the Yamaha case. If the E52 was available to match the '05 I would have preferred it because of the added space. Givi makes a fairly light weight, durable, waterproof case.

i have the yamaha top box for my 04.

very seldom use it.

for 4-5 day trips, i've just cinched a bag down behind me with rokstraps.

i find the yammy trunk a bit of a sail.

derek

I'm wishing that I had a Givi 52 liter. I have a 46 liter Givi & do love it... but I'm a woman & always need to pack extra things on my bike.

Givi is quality goods if indeed you do buy a top box. Be careful about the cheap boxes. You may get what you pay for, Heidi

Givi V46 for me. Beware the mounting hardware you chose. You can get the Givi hardware, SW-Mototech or the Premier Cycle Accessories adjustable rack. I say got with the PCA adjustable rack.

Never seen a Givi up close, but I have the Shad 46...

Very reasonable price, comes with everything you need to mount it to the tail of the FJR...

Looks good (imo) and lots of room...

I sold my yamaha top box which is only 38 liters and got a givi e52 maxia. I am still waiting for the givi mount to arrive so I can't tell you more. This box is on two friends bikes that I travel with and it really holds more. It also has a wire rack on top for more room.

Love the Givi E52 on my '03. Color-matched, looks better than the 46, and WAY better than the Yamaha box! Room for my laptop going to work, or a week's worth of groceries.

Even though it's larger, it looks smaller than the 46. Easily holds two XXL helmets plus gloves, phones, and stuff.

appforestvy9.jpg

i have the fjr as the commuter bike and the fj(s) as the rally/sport bike. i have a givi wingrack on the fj. i bought one of the premier cycle specialties tail rack plates used from a forum member on here and installed that on the rear of the fjr.

last week i was running errands near sporttour's (www.sportour.com) showroom and decided to look at what topcases they had. i have to carry a lot of gear to work every day for work, and have found that the computer bag i use doesn't even come close to fitting in the fjr's side case. i had planned on bungeeing it to the tail rack, but it's flat enough that i feared it might slide out. so i've been "wearing" it as a courier bag. not my first choice, considering how it might hurt attached to me in a getoff.

the e52 swallowed the gear bag and computer bag well. and i like it that i can pop it off the fjr and throw it on the fj if need be. no doubt about it, givi may have expensive stuff, but it's well made.

dean

cincinnati

Last edited by a moderator:
V46 here. When we travel, the laptop goes in the bottom and other stuff on top of it. Comes off easily, but I usually leave it on and take the saddlebags off. The 46 can hold a couple of full face helmets but it takes some planning. Good quality and no regrets.

I simply got a cheapy from Ebay last about six months ago. It holds about 46 liters and has been great. No problems with it. Stays dry and paid only $70. I previously had a Givi 52 on my Concours and loved it, but it went with the bike when I sold it years ago. So until the hinge pins break on this cheapy (and they will eventually) I'll use it. By the way, the company sent me 2 of the trunks for the price of one. When I called them about the extra trunk they insisted I was incorrect and could not possibly have been sent 2 trunks. They wouldn't take it back. So I really got 2 trunks for the $70. Now the cheapy is a really a deal!