Top Box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraro

Reaction score
Hi. I'm a new member. I have 40,000 miles on my '06 and have taken a number of trips solo without any problems. I generally ride quickly and am hard on my bike. I am going on a trip in Aug. with a lady friend and need more storage space.

I know there was a recall for the Yamaha top bag in my year and maybe the mount too. I think I'll need a lot of space so I was considering the GIVI E55 of the Shad SH50. I've read the differing opinions with respect to finish and visual appeal of each. I'd like to know if the GIVI has a better mounting system (as I've read) and also if I need to have any part of the factory recall done in order to properly secure my non Yamaha bag? What is the difference between the GIVI E55 Tech and E55 Maxia 3? I'd appreciate any info and suggestions. Thanks. - Bob K.

Hi Bob

I have the E55 Maxia. I think it compliments the lines of the bike nicely. The difference between that and the Tech is the Tech has smoked lenses and black everything. Should be called the Stealth! The actual boxes are the same. Add in the Admore lighting kit and it's a done deal!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Givi mounting rack, which replaces the bike's rack (and grab handles) is indeed much sturdier. It's not as attractive with the box removed, though, so some dislike it for that. Other vendors make plates which adapt the stock rack to the Givi case, so you get the better case (Yamaha's case sux!!!! Odd shape, low capacity) without changing the bike, but you will need to watch the weight stuffed into the case.

I have a Givi E52, from ancient times before the E55 existed.

Thanks for both resposes, very useful. Can I take from this that the GIVI in theory should be more secure because it attaches to the subframe where the SHAD does not but in use the SHAD has not been a problem for this reason? Also, no need to get any part of the factory recall done prior to an installation of either a GIVI or SHAD?

Thanks for both resposes, very useful. Can I take from this that the GIVI in theory should be more secure because it attaches to the subframe where the SHAD does not but in use the SHAD has not been a problem for this reason? Also, no need to get any part of the factory recall done prior to an installation of either a GIVI or SHAD?
I would say that if there's a recall on the rear subframe, get it done, that simple. Why guess about it?

Also, did you see this thread? seems many are putting a "pin" in the bottom of the Givi case and attaching it to the rack, so the box won't come off at speed.

I have a Shad 46 on my Versys and am very happy with it. I think their mounting systems are well thought out and good quality.

good luck with it.

In order to prevent sub-frame issues people have installed the Givi SR357. It seems to do the trick. I have a Shad 50 mounted on it and it works fine. I found I have more adjustability with this combo and was able to mount the box back farther than the Givi, giving her more room. The Shad 50 comes with the mounting plate and backrest included.

One other box to consider is the Coo Case. They have some nice features like a custom liner and remote control. The lid also stays up when you lift it. None of the others I have tried do that.

Good luck on your search

Can I take from this that the GIVI in theory should be more secure because it attaches to the subframe where the SHAD does not?
Nope, read through my thread and make your own decision but I wasn't convinced by what I have seen so far between so far. As I see it they both ultimately attach the same way, to the same points. Look at the pics. Yes the Givi rack itself might be stronger based on the materials it's constructed but the rack itself has not been the source of failure. Many will disagree so you'll find no resolution here.

Do what you feel is best, what you prefer aesthetically and move on. There is no 'best'. I have owned both and have no animus for either. I ended up just liking the Shad quality and appearance a little better and their customer service is exceptional.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Givi box and love it, sturdy and well made. Although the rack is a little big without the box it's very useful, well made and there are numerous places to use tie downs.