Top case pics and loose screen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can also Google "givi site:fjrforum.com" but click "Images" instead of "Search." Then search the images and find lots of pics.
Damn, Mike....I NEVER thought about using the Google Images search to find old pics on the forum but it works outstandingly!

BEST TIP OF THE WEEK!!
:huh:

Google Images is the ONLY way to get things done. Way old news!!! Keep up!

Oddly enough, "manatee site:fjrforum.com" and clicking images comes up blank. . . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, if my trouble with search has some upset, then read something else. Or you could always ban new posts make it a "search only" forum.
Nah. We don't do that here.

Here's your sign though!

searchwelfare.jpg

Enjoy the forum. ;)
I'll hang this in my office...I love it!

You can also Google "givi site:fjrforum.com" but click "Images" instead of "Search." Then search the images and find lots of pics.
Damn, Mike....I NEVER thought about using the Google Images search to find old pics on the forum but it works outstandingly!

BEST TIP OF THE WEEK!!
:huh:

Google Images is the ONLY way to get things done. Way old news!!! Keep up!

Oddly enough, "manatee site:fjrforum.com" and clicking images comes up blank. . . . .
Sorry for not meeting your high quality standards. :p

However, when I Googled "jackass site:fjrforum.com" here's what I came up with:

dcp_0007.jpg

Before I am told to "search", I have. Many times. Using various keywords. I'm not finding what I am looking for.
I'm trying to choose what (used) top case to buy. OEM or Givi. I know the ups and downs, thats not what I'm looking for. I am trying to find PICTURES. Would those who have them accessible, would you post them here for me? Thanks!

And about the windshield, why is the OEM and aftermarket shields so darn loose? Is there a fix? Or a good reason to leave it alone?
NewapartmentandFJR004.jpg

Here is a pic of my 07 with the oem trunk mounted on the givi trunk mount

Eric

I wanna play too! Can I, can I, Huh? Can I?

Here's the '06 from this past weekend with a black Givi E52 and Givi rack. I share that same Givi box across two bikes, the '07 and '06 both.

Aug2010009.jpg

Here's the Yami box on the '07.

S5001427.jpg

2007Shelby.jpg

I owned and used the Yamaha box for a couple years from my '05 to the '07. I love the shape, styling and decreased turbulence of the Yami box over the Givi. But the Givi wins hands-down for space.

I would think you would go with the Givi?

I know I did. Price was a very small part of it for me as I was on a spending spree. I like the Givi look better for sure but that is individual. Since I could get it in silver it matches my 2010. The mounting system is so much better IMHO.

The Givi metal bracket impresses me much more than the factory plastic mounting kit.

I think the biggest thing was no lights! WTF

How can you manufacture a OEM top case with no lights, even as an option, is insane. I bought the AdMore brake/turn/running LED kit for the Givi. I just could not see putting up with a box that added nothing but space. I can use a tail bag of any flavor for that.

So just my thought process on what and why I bought Givi stuff over Yamaha stuff.

Anyway glad you got pointed to what you needed to help make a choice.

The guy's from Milwaukee... Poor feller suffers from the same affliction as the "iron" produced there.
:jester:

Thanks again to the decent fella's who helped out by posting pics and the thread link below. That side by side comparison is a great!!! This turned out to be the best thread yet for top boxes IMO.

Here's my Givi E35 with back pad which is discontinued but still some around. High quality case which works perfectly for my wife and I.

fjr1300a-2.jpg

Here is the Givi 52 liter with the Premier Cycle mounting plate, on my 08. Hope it helps.
recent115.jpg
Wow that looks awesome, where did you purchase it? Love the new take on the "Riflemans Creed"..... Love IT! :yahoo:

At the various ______Owners Meetings I have seen classes in various topics, among the G and PG rated classes were things like GPS 101 and maintenance. Maybe we need one of the propeller-heads to teach a Searching for Dummies.
Motorcycling for the homeless.

Below this line lies the snore zone, only those immune to flat, dry, boring material should venture here. There may even be dragons and monsters.

==========================

The only insider's trick I used when searching was to go to the oldest posts and start there. Back in the early days of this Forum the world was still pretty new and many things were being tried 'for the first time' and we offered pictures and detailed how-to's that don't happen so often these days.

What would you use for search terms for top cases, or are they top boxes, or are they trunks? First, the search engine can't use words that are three letters or less so the word TOP is out already. If you just put in Givi you will get every mention in history. Since we are looking for pictures (sometimes said as pixs or pics) I started with the straight forward word PICTURE and since it may also be PICTURES I have a trick for that. Next I used a second straight forward word -- Givi. Since I am searching using two words I used the + meaning all the words must be present and that eliminates all posts that don't contain BOTH words. I also used the * symbol which means that the search engine should accept anything at and after that mark. Putting it together my search term looked like this: +picture* +Givi. Picture* will allow the search engine to pickup both the words picture and pictures. This search term returned 13 pages so I went to the last page and started looking there. Each page clearly had exactly matching threads that you could determine just by scanning. Between pages 11 & 13 I found multiple quality pictures of OEM, Givi and Shad top cases.

Edit: Deleted an even longer winded thingie on searching. I may ping an admin. because there seems to be some search rules that I can no longer find. Also, running the very same search term copy/paste accurate over again a couple of times will return different numbers of hits and different number of pages. I believe it is related to how busy the server is when the query is run.
I just wanted to mention my newbie confusion on figuring when someone's advice pertained to the forum "search" feature as opposed to google search

Nowadays as an "experienced" forum peep, it's all google searching using the "????? site:fjrforum.com" syntax

My windshield felt noticeably loose just last week, so much that it would flop around in a 30mph wind when parked. I took the trim piece off that holds the windshield in place and under that there are a couple of screws where I had installed Skyway Spacer kit, they were both loose. I tightened them both up and the wiggle at the top of my windshield went from 3.5" down to .5".

Life is better now.