Top Speed?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess i should have just gone here in the first place....helpful feedback without the assholes. :p
See, there's where your wrong. Us old assholes are there, too. You cannot hide! ;)

And I do believe Barabus has a splendid idea: Dog Pile Fridays! Oughta be a forum unto itself! :lol:

I feel a lot of love in this room.....shall we hold hands or just have a group hug? Maybe a game of limbo is in order.

BTW, since the thread I linked to above, I have hit a GPS top speed of 160mph on my FJR. How fast have you gotten yours up to?
With or without it's rider ?
Oh, now that's fuckin' funny, right there! :lmaosmiley: :rofl:
Amen to that ! you old fart. :lmaosmiley:

Hey TWN, Since your an old slow fart. you been able to the STORM off your tire YET :D

IIRC I think one of the head to heads had The 06 top at 157. with it reaching 132 in 10.7 in the 1/4 mile with a 0-60 in 2.9. But I'm to f-n lazy to do a search to find the info again. I'ld prob just find some assholes anyway.

But most facts are made from the top-o my head instantly anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good in here. People ignoring #5 and the remainder availing themselves of #6. What is it with a few folks from Texas?

IIRC I think one of the head to heads had The 06 top at
I posted one of those! Please don't dig it back up. It started out as a simple table of data taken from a magazine but it took on a life of its own. Some threads cause flames, some result in a dog pile. This one became a flaming dog pile.
There is a more user friendly set of charts someplace that show straight gear/mph calculations without regard to aerodynamic drag and weight.

Living in Tx surely has to facilitate real life testing over places like NH. :lol:

Hey TWN, Since your an old slow fart. you been able to the STORM off your tire YET :D
Not yet. Made it half way tho... Didn't you see my last post under your 'Hey TWN' thread?

Looks good in here. People ignoring #5 and the remainder availing themselves of #6. What is it with a few folks from Texas?
Iggy, it's not so much having to do with Texas (well, okay, excepting Fred and downn2), rather in this case, it has much to do with young-uns not respecting their elders. Punk-ass kids! Get off my friggin' lawn, ya hear me!

:grin:

Iggy, it's not so much having to do with Texas (well, okay, excepting Fred and downn2), rather in this case, it has much to do with young-uns not respecting their elders.
Me thinks you are forgetting a couple of the, ohh, shall we say special Texans. In fact, how you could you forget the one that pushed your buttons like no other? Hee hee hee. That was some classic stuff.

OK. Here we go again. ..... :blink:

79057884-M.jpg

:ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

yeah.. and all you rich gps endowed riders say the STOCK speedo is inaccurate by +/-5%? Whad up wid dat? :unsure: Makes one wonder about any gps-claimed speed.... As far I'm concerned, if you don't have a LEO documented speed record, it does not count.... At least their equipment is calibrated, certified, and gur-an-teed to be accurate......

yeah.. and all you rich gps endowed riders say the STOCK speedo is inaccurate by +/-5%? Whad up wid dat? :unsure: Makes one wonder about any gps-claimed speed.... As far I'm concerned, if you don't have a LEO documented speed record, it does not count.... At least their equipment is calibrated, certified, and gur-an-teed to be accurate......
If you're referring to the shot of the unit with a max. speed then that's an issue of where a GPS went wonky....and they do that when reception conditions are intermittent. It only takes one split second a day for of this condition to record it in the Max Speed erroneously. I believe it's related to chord and curve interpolation error.....but "wonky" is probably a better answer. I've had it happen too. When it does, you have to chuck the Max Speed reading.

However, it's a very different deal when you're at velocity and it's incrementing in single mph units or maintaining a specific speed. GPSes are capable of very accurate measurements, but like any measurement device have to be used and interpreted properly.

True, you have to take a person's word for it......or not taking a person's word for it as your choice. I like the idea of being presumed to have not exceeded the speed limit unless proven otherwise ;)

I know what speeds I've been having correlated between speedo, GPS, and Sigma cyclometer (my '05 speedo is 2% high)....and the FJR easily reaches ludicrous speed making things go plaid. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
My faster 05 go's 154. Faster than those 06 and 07 that only go 153. Because its lighter. I know because I think thats what a magazine or some one told "you know Man".

(snip)If you're referring to the shot of the unit with a max. speed then that's an issue of where a GPS went wonky....and they do that when reception conditions are intermittent. It only takes one split second a day for of this condition to record it in the Max Speed erroneously. I believe it's related to chord and curve interpolation error.....but "wonky" is probably a better answer. I've had it happen too. When it does, you have to chuck the Max Speed reading.

(snip)
It's interesting how this happens - this particular shot was taken after my commute home one afternoon - I don't know if any of you are familiar with El Segundo, CA, but there is a building on the south side of LAX - along Artesia Blvd - and it has these huge radar array domes on it. The locals call it the "Dolly Parton Building". I was riding by it, glanced down, and my location was showing New Jersey - then it corrected. I would imagine that the huge amount of EMI and RFI had something to do with it.

I've had it happen a few other times, but to a much smaller degree. Back in 1999, a small Etrex I was carrying on a backpacking trip showed my max speed at 740 MPH. And I'm not even a fast hiker.

Or maybe it's the Vulcan ship in orbit .... :huh: