Top Speed?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and it has these huge radar array domes on it. The locals call it the "Dolly Parton Building". I was riding by it, glanced down, and my location was showing New Jersey - then it corrected. I would imagine that the huge amount of EMI and RFI had something to do with it.
Seems very plausible. I've had it happen in the middle-of-nowhere in Nevada (and not by Area 51) with long sweeping twisties and uneven overhead coverage. I'd lose signal for about a minute and then when it would catch back it would do some squiggles on the map and over report my max speed. Chuck that reading I had to. Fortunately, I had calibrated my Sigma as a backup.

Most probably multipath error: Clicky for more detail

or from here:

Max Speed shows really large speed.

While the max-speed indicator is a reliable indication of the minimum "max speed" you have achieved since last reset it is unreliable when it comes to displaying the real maximum speed. This means you can use it to prove you have gone no faster than what it displays but you can't use it to establish a new speed record. As the satellites drift in and out of sight or you encounter some multipath interference your unit will compute a slightly different solution based on the available satellites and this difference can result in an instantaneous change in position. This change can confuse the max speed indicator into thinking you traveled rapidly to the new location. Luckily these are usually very easy to spot. Hopefully Garmin will figure out a way to filter out these kinds of changes in a future release.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that term much better than the chord and curve thing I pulled from my ass. Consistent explanation with my experience as well. Thanks.

The 06 FJR with no bags, tail wind, 95 octaine, down hill with Nitrogen filled tires

Top speed with the taller gearing :p

GARMIN_00.jpg

sunday took the fjr for a ride with a friend on a r6 and I got the FJR up to 163 on the speedo, whatever that means with the error %. tach only read 8300rpms. Explain this. No side bags with a 170lb rider.

sunday took the fjr for a ride with a friend on a r6 and I got the FJR up to 163 on the speedo, whatever that means with the error %. tach only read 8300rpms. Explain this. No side bags with a 170lb rider.
That means that your speed was drag limited, not limited by the rev limiter. Drag limited means that the bike couldn't push you any faster, considering the amount of air it needed to go through, at that speed.

yeah.. and all you rich gps endowed riders say the STOCK speedo is inaccurate by +/-5%? Whad up wid dat? :unsure: Makes one wonder about any gps-claimed speed.... As far I'm concerned, if you don't have a LEO documented speed record, it does not count.... At least their equipment is calibrated, certified, and gur-an-teed to be accurate......
Uh Huh

That means that your speed was drag limited, not limited by the rev limiter. Drag limited means that the bike couldn't push you any faster, considering the amount of air it needed to go through, at that speed.
No, I think something fishy is going on there. E1Allen - are you sure about both those numbers? If the FJR speedo is showing 163, the tach should be showing over 9000 rpm. At least that is what mine does. (GPS speed of 157, tach showing 9500rmp, speedo showing? - about 162 or so) Also, there is a tach/speed chart out there too - HERE IT IS, and the above numbers don't follow that either. If those observations were truly correct, then you have a significant error in the speedo or tach, or both.

No, I think something fishy is going on there. E1Allen - are you sure about both those numbers? If the FJR speedo is showing 163, the tach should be showing over 9000 rpm. At least that is what mine does. (GPS speed of 157, tach showing 9500rmp, speedo showing? - about 162 or so) Also, there is a tach/speed chart out there too - HERE IT IS, and the above numbers don't follow that either. If those observations were truly correct, then you have a significant error in the speedo or tach, or both.
He's on an '06, skoot. Gearing change might account for some of the discrepancy.

Maybe i'll do another run with my gps(Not the road kind), but I had a friend on an R6 running along with me going the same speed. Based on the speeds posted by other users I wasn't sure what was up. I have Leo Vince exhaust on also, drop a little weight maybe a slight HP improvement but i assume not much. I dunno about the gear changes, I was just reading the tach and speedo and thats what I got.

I have been over 140 the last 2 days and yesterday I did it riding 2 up. The bike still have more room to run.

The fastest I've had the 06 without bags was 155 and it was still pulling strong, but i had to back down or run over my buddy on his Ducati 916

The 06 FJR with no bags, tail wind, 95 octaine, down hill with Nitrogen filled tires
Top speed with the taller gearing :p

GARMIN_00.jpg
i'm guessing the 95 octane had a lot to do with getting a faster top speed? since you paid more for that gas, it made your wallet lighter, thereby helping your top speed, right? ( :

I had mine up to 150 speedo indicated and it made me grin and pucker at the same time. It was the fastest I have been while being on the ground. I love the speed but in the back of my mind is the thought of that little animal (or big one for that matter) waiting to jump out in front of me. :dribble: