Tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming from a cruiser and new to the FJR, I found myself leaning forward in what I felt was a 'sport' way of riding. Places way to much stress on the wrists and shoulders. Got in the habit of sitting up more and stretching out my fingers over the clutch and front break levers on a regular basis. Gonna try grip puppies and maybe moving the handle bars back notch.

I have Olympia Gel gloves & like them a lot, great for vibes on any bike. The FJR is a fine, comfortable sport tourer but bikes fit differently on different people as well as the way you ride, as previous posts stated, make a difference.

The two biggest changes to affect the Buzz are:
Grip Puppies, and a good Throttle Body Sync.... I mean take your time and get it right.

we just took a 4600 mile trip and my bike has never been smoother or more comfy.

-MD
What Renegade said. Those two will give the most bang for the buck as far as buzz.

And, what V65 said: "My advice, get used to it before you modify it."

Give it 30 days / 3000 miles. Many have found that they no longer notice the ergos once they've gotten used to them. Personally, I typically ride with so little pressure on my palms that I can lift both off the bars and not so much as budge. Most of my support comes from my lower back and inner thighs. If you've got a bad lower back, like so many riders, you may find that riding with your lower back under mild stress does wonders to stave off lower back crises.

What everybody said.

Easiest...grip puppies.... I was gripping way too hard since I was used to fatter Harley grips.

Master Yoda riding position. Sit on your legs, not your butt. Huge improvement.

Relax your elbows. Gel gloves help too.

I didn't ride much for over a year, last month I took a short ride from Dallas to Denver for a Harley party, I rode my Deuce because I've sold all my other bikes. Found out that even riding with my comfy Mustang seat and a backrest, I was uncomfortable, simply because while I put about 18000 miles on 4 bikes in 2006, I pbly rode only about 1000 miles in 07 and 08. Actually got tired riding.

But I liked riding the FJR when I had it so much that's I'm selling my Harley and looking for a smaller version of an FJR. I'm short.

It takes a bit of riding to get used to the FJR, but I could ride longer every day since it's so easy to ride.

Have fun.

Mary

Do 20,000 miles on a Hayabusa in 3-4 months, then let's chat about the FJR ergo's..... :lol:

Some of aren't quite as insane as others here...... <_<

I had never heard of the MYRP. I'm getting to the point of stopping after about an hour. Going to investigate this.....

While the FJR isn't like a Goldwing for touring, it is still way better than many other bikes.

I found the FJR's absolute best environment, where it REALLY shines, is on rides like the Iron Butt ride that was done at NAFO. Doing 1000+ miles of almost all twisty roads in under 24 hours, is where the FJR is truly at home. If you just want to ride the straight, flat, interstates, then a Goldwing or other touring bus might be more up your alley.

A lot of good advice here but remember....Riding a motorcycle (unless you're still in your teens) is work.

You've heard the expression, "weekend warrior" used for old guys (like me) who decide to relive their youth in a company picnic softball game. The outcome is apparent before the first pitch. If you're lucky, it's "Bengay" and rest but a trip to the ER isn't always out of the question :rolleyes:

Point is, you need seat time to get your body used to the work it is performing. Give it a chance and you will find how quickly (even for old guys like me) your body adjusts to the new strain.

Good luck.

I beg to differ. I just rode 4500 miles a couple a weeks ago with all my camping gear two up. I have a total of what just rolled 24500 this morning on my '07. I tour plenty. Stock everything exept the cruise and the backrest and Rack.

JMHO

Mine took a little getting used to. Adjust the bars closer & see if that helps.

No motorcycle is going to be perfect for everybody -some adjustment is always needed I put on grip puppies, a beaded seat cover and will be adding helibars when I get the $$$$

Grip puppies and bar moved back. Get a little tingle once in a while nothing major. It sounds like you are fighting your bike not riding it.

Mine took a little getting used to. Adjust the bars closer & see if that helps.
No motorcycle is going to be perfect for everybody -some adjustment is always needed I put on grip puppies, a beaded seat cover and will be adding helibars when I get the $$$$
Where did you get the beaded seat cover from?

I had an 06 FJR with 3,000 miles, 08 Harley sporster with 600 miles, 02 BMW R1150RTP with 72,000 miles. I loved the power, looks, and overall performance of the FJR but found myself riding the BMW on all extended trips. Different bikes fit different folks.It all comes down to what feels the best to you and your riding style and how many mods you are willing to do to correct the things you dislike about your current ride.

I've had mine a little over two years now and have 28,000 miles on mine. Two years ago, I did an 8 day 2900 mile trip to the Smokey Mountains. Last year I did a 8 day 3800 mile trip to the rockies. This year a trip back to the Smokey Mountains - 3400 miles this time. I love the bike!!! Can't get enough of it. I use a Throttle Lock to rest my hand. But a lot of the "fix" is just getting use to the bike.

BTW, I have a Goldwing also for two-up riding. I can ride a lot further on the FJR in a day in comfort! Also I should mention that I'm 55 years old - not quite a kid anymore!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pat C,

Like some other folks here, I came to the FJR from a cruiser type bike, big, heavy, floorboards, bags, chrome, and all of 74 horsepower. That was 3 years ago (& 37k miles).

What I remember is:

1) Took me awhile to not grip the handles with the 'grip of death'

2) Bike was new, bars vibrated. 10k, vibration quite a bit less. 20k, yeah I think I feel some vibration. Now I Have to think about it to notice. I put on some heavy bar ends on at 7k, but I think the vibes just get weaker as the bike gets broken in.

3) SS1K was murder on the stock seat (for me, YMMV). Took Bounce's advice & got a Russell seat, best money I ever spent. 6/7/8/900 mile days can be done with very little bun fatigue.

4) The first week I had the bike (800 miles) I got sore in lots of funny places. Since then, no problem.

5) The Yoda position thing, while not exactly right for me, did help me attain my Zen position for LD rides.

I think you're seeing a little 'break-in' like I had.

All the best, enjoy the bike, & take an Ibuprofen before the long rides, it'll help.

I have put quite a few miles on mine already, its completely stock except for the extremely loud horn. (p.o. installed it) I have completed a 700 mile day on it and had no issues with comfort. Stock seat is WAY better than my last bike. The faint buzz in the bars is nothin gcompared to my old connie 1000, so I am a happy man. I think its something that you must condition yourself for, It will never be a recliner on wheels. but for me the stock seat and stock bar position is fine. I have the beaded seat cover from my old connie and I have a leater butt pad, but have yet to use either. My advice is ride it . Condition yourself to be able to ride it. then make the changes you really need. Not all people have arms long as mine, or might not be used to riding a motorcycle 1000+ miles in a day. I absolutely love my FJR.

The most I have done on this bike in a day is 600 miles. I think the things that helped the most for me as stated by others before are a Russell seat-fantastic!!, bar risers (different triple clamp) and grip puppies......

Just my 2 cents