Tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your new to the bike and it's hurting after such a short distance, chances are you're a bit tense and you're fighting the bike.

I'm with everybody else......you need to give it more time before you start buying "stuff", or give up on it. I can't find anything wrong with the stock "ergo's". I've spent tons of money on different bike trying to get it "right" in the past, only to figure out it was me..not the bike causing the issue's. I am 58, and been riding since is was 16 on about every kind of bike.

AS said - it ain't no sport bike. You want to experience real pain, ride a sport bike (my 1098).
+1

The FJR is an armchair compared to a sport bike and a armchair with a full recliner compared to the 1098.

BTW, the 1098 is awesome and arguably the most beautiful current sport bike out there. But that original 916 just dropped my jaw when I first saw it. Sorry off topic........

Heck, I did a 566 mile day on my Paul Smart during Moto GP week. No problems at all. A 1098 is like a recliner compared to the Smart. I had originally planned to try about 300 and go from there. I could have easily gone farther.

Just got my 08 two weeks (and 850 miles) ago...

I found out that the handlebars were in the #1 position (furthest forward). I moved them back to the #3 position (closest to the tank) - and the ride is a LOT more comfortable, and most of the "dead hand" and vibrations stopped.

Besides the addition of sliders - I'm still 100% stock - and am going to wait until I have 3k - 5k miles on it before I start farkling up.

In the meantime - man, oh man - this is one bitchin' ride!

Compared to the initial cost of a wing or bmw or roadking the FJR is much lower. There are some things we'd like yammie to address like the buzz in the bars and no forward pegs. However, on the very bright side, yammie has given us a bike that we can tinker with to get to our own individual likings... it's easy to work on, removing fairings and such is easy, and the initial low cost allows us to buy what we want and still keep the price under the aforementioned rides.

For the initial cost of a wing (and they are really nice rides by the way) you can take your FJR and farkle it to the max and then some and have money to spare for a few NAFO trips.

My buddy bought a new roadking and really loves his ride. It's a beautiful bike. But he is going slow with putting extras on it due to the purchase breaking the bank.

So get some grip puppies, bar risers/adjusters, another seat, forward pegs, cruise control/throttle lock, pcIII, etc. Like someone here told me when I got my bike... receiving bike stuff in the mail every other week is like having Christmas all the time! So in a way, the FJR gives you the opportunity to have Christmas all year long.

Thus, in conclusion, are you bashing Christmas? :rolleyes:

just came back to sport touring after 3+ years on a road king - at 52 years old - i hope i did the right thing because the cruiser was getting pretty boring.

when i test rode the FJR i noticed minimal buzz... but not like my old concours.

and i had to remind myself that getting used to the conc was a gradual but worthwhile endeavor. posture/form, stretching exercises in the saddle, etc all part of long distance riding on an high tech ST like the FJR.

i agree... farkles should be the very very last resort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello guys,

This is amusing at least to me, because I am in the same exact boat. The last bike I purchased was a GSXR1000 that I had trouble driving home due to seating position. But after some education and the purchase of a tank bag, problem was solved. I bought a new '08 last Saturday and am perplexed how this thing is considered to be a sport tourer. I haven't ridden or even test road any Honda's or Kawasaki 1400's; can only believe that they are worse by comparison. I read a few test reports that mentioned a clunky transmission and moderate bar buzz but wrote it off as someone complaining or being too critical.

I know that I am not used to the bike and do appreciate all the comments to help alleviate the issues. I just haven't experienced the buzz or notchy shifting on former model bikes. The instrumentation, handling, suspension, and looks are definately first rate. I had considered taking the bike back to the dealer when he opened on Tuesday, but after look at the thing, I decided to give it a serious try. Logging on to this forum may well save my day. My hat is off to all of you trying to help us new owners out. Your efforts and advice are sincerely appreciated.

I haven't noticed this "buzz" thing at all :huh:
JNOR

Are you messing with me (us)? You really don't feel the engine buzz starting in the high 3000 rpm range? I think I'm being gullible. :dribble: I spent way too much time and money trying to minimize mine considering it is a brand new bike. Again, maybe it's an issue of what bike you came from?

At any rate, I'm happy for you! I'm going to start telling myself "There is no buzz, there is no buzz..."

JNOR

Are you messing with me (us)? You really don't feel the engine buzz starting in the high 3000 rpm range? I think I'm being gullible. :dribble: I spent way too much time and money trying to minimize mine considering it is a brand new bike. Again, maybe it's an issue of what bike you came from?

At any rate, I'm happy for you! I'm going to start telling myself "There is no buzz, there is no buzz..."

Ya see, there's this 4 cylinder 1.3 liter engine... that's bigger than a lot of economy car engines by the way.

So anyway, this engine... it's down there between your knees.

And it's running.

Of course there is some vibration in the bars, and the seat, and the footpegs, and the gas tank, and the windshield... :blink:

the only reason i noticed the "minimal" buzz in mine is... i know what to look for. :lol:

right now - with only 300 miles on her and at normal highway speeds (45 - 65), my bike is running pretty sweet. so i am fairly confident it will only get better over time as it breaks in and i learn to dial it in better.

al

I don't want to ruffle anyones feathers, but I'm a little disappointed to think I was buying a sport touring bike. It is absolutely a sport bike, but when I took it out for a modest ride not even 50mi, when I got home my hands were numb and my neck and shouders were sore.
1. style of bike? cruiser? the FJR uses different sets of muscles and requires an adjustment period.

heck, even an out-of-shape lump like me can ride it for more than 50 miles.

your best mod is to ride the piss out of it for the next six months and get used to it.

JNOR

Ya see, there's this 4 cylinder 1.3 liter engine... that's bigger than a lot of economy car engines by the way.

And it's running.

Of course there is some vibration in the bars, and the seat, and the footpegs, and the gas tank, and the windshield... :blink:
Fred W:

I get that. But my last bike was a 1.2 liter engine, one before that the same. In fact, the last time I had a bike under 1000cc's was two decades ago. None of them had the vibration this thing does. Even after a TBS which brought the readings within .1, the vibes above 4,500 are pronounced (to me). Under 4,000 it smoothed out quite nicely. I guess I just don't get it. If it doesn't 'have to' exist on other bikes, why this one? Then again, I guess I could say the same about the lack of a 6th gear. But that's a comment for a NEPRT.

I'll put your advice to work (you have many wise posts) and "try to get used to it." I just seems weird to have to get used to something that shouldn't be there in the first place.

Pat C, my advice is to get rid of the bike. It obviously doesn't fit you and no matter what you do to it me thinks that it will be to no avail. If only after 50 miles you are having so many problems something really is wrong. Some bikes suit the rider and some don't and from experience it doesn't matter what you do to try and fix it, in the long run it never works. Their are some really great bikes out their and maybe this time you have just picked the wrong one. B)

Pat C, my advice is to get rid of the bike. It obviously doesn't fit you and no matter what you do to it me thinks that it will be to no avail. If only after 50 miles you are having so many problems something really is wrong. Some bikes suit the rider and some don't and from experience it doesn't matter what you do to try and fix it, in the long run it never works. Their are some really great bikes out their and maybe this time you have just picked the wrong one. B)
+1 There is a major problem if you can't go 50 miles on this bike without an issue.

Picked up my new FJR 8/09/08. Rode around southern Cal for a couple of days to put the first 600mi on it so I could do the first oil change etc. I was riding a honda vtx 1800 so the bike was quite a change. I read the article on proper posture on the FJR, bend at waist, loose arms, light grip on the bars. The new position puts pressure on forward part of butt and inner thighs much like riding a horse. I started out with 1 hour ride 15 min break then 90min ride etc. Once the initial saddle soreness is overcome after a couple of days I can ride about 3 hours with only slight discomfort. Last Sunday I took off and spent 5 days running up to Eureka Ca and back to southern Cal, 1900 miles. I am 6' 4" 200 lbs,56yrs old, and the only change I want to make is a taller shield. I still get sore and a slight numbutt after 3 to 4 hours but 8 to 10 hour days along the coast and through the Redwoods were no problem. I don't know if a custom seat would improve on anything. Bars seem right for my 37" arms. Love this bike. Does it have a slight buzz at 4200rpm, yes, but it does not cause any discomfort. I have to go back to work Monday, going to be tough looking out the office window at the parked FJR. Has anyone tried the Yammie gel seat? Worth the$?

The first few 100-mile rides on my 08 I thought the same, no way is this sport-tourer going to be good for long rides. :angry2: I added grip puppies, gel seats, sheep skin covers, handle bar risers, didn’t really help a whole lot. I found after riding the bike now for 5000 miles, I could do 500 miles a day comfortably, the passenger (wife) maybe 250 miles. In fact we just returned from a 2k trip, did the last 500 miles in one day. Of course the wife hasn’t talked to me since :glare: , been real nice! Just give the bike some time, you’ll get use to it, and all the little perceived issues will disappear.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging posts I will take everyone advice. Before I had the FJR I was riding a HD Fatboy, but I'm not a stranger to sport bikes, I also owned a Ninja back in the day, and many bikes in between. I didn't want to spend tons of money on this bike like I did on the HD, but seat and risers are more a comfort issue than money spent on chrome.
how long ago was back in the day?

JNOR

And it's running.

Fred W:

I get that. But my last bike was a 1.2 liter engine, one before that the same. In fact, the last time I had a bike under 1000cc's was two decades ago. None of them had the vibration this thing does. Even after a TBS which brought the readings within .1, the vibes above 4,500 are pronounced (to me). Under 4,000 it smoothed out quite nicely. I guess I just don't get it. If it doesn't 'have to' exist on other bikes, why this one? Then again, I guess I could say the same about the lack of a 6th gear. But that's a comment for a NEPRT.

I'll put your advice to work (you have many wise posts) and "try to get used to it." I just seems weird to have to get used to something that shouldn't be there in the first place.
Before you take my word as gospel, try riding someone else's FJR and see if theirs feels the same. Maybe yours really is out of whack. Also, FWIW, the TBS only synchronizes the throttle bores at idle, with a gradually (or maybe rapidly) decreasing effect as throttle is opened more.

There is no "official" procedure for balancing the throttle plates off idle, but that is probably what you will need to do to quell any non-normal vibes in the 4500 and up range. There is a non-sanctioned procedure that you can read about here

5800mi recently in 24days [~18days actual riding -longest day 600+mi], my first trip on the bike out the box [left w/ my 600mi service just completed]. Some monkey-butt, and found the stock screen to be inadequate for my 6'2"/32"inseam build. So there's either a Russell or a Mayer, and a taller screen & a set of Baker wings in my future for sure. But other than that, no issues w/ the overall fit and comfort of the machine, and from my past experience w/ previous bikes that's not all that unusual, ...there's always a bit of personal fitting to be expected! Overall, I'd call it a superbe touring platform!!