Tourer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have not had too much problem with the bike in 100% stock form (except I do like the PR2's so much better than the original tires). I bought a 2006A model brand new, and have put only 14K on it, but have taken several 1200-1800 mile three and four days rides. Yes, my ass gets a little sore from the stock seat, but I occasionally stand on the pegs and stretch and this seems to help. Being 6'3 and 240, I do find a taller windshield would be nice, as I get buffeted by the wind in the top of the helmet. This may be the one farkle I pony up for since funds are a consideration to be fair. Many on here recommended the Yoda riding position, and I made it a point to learn this, and it has really helped me as well. I have put down 650 miles in one day, but nothing compared to many on here. Like many others have said, you may want to take the time to get used to the bike before you give up on it. Compared to the myriad of Sport bikes I have owned (most recently a 2004 R1) this bike is a Lazy Boy recliner. As for the vibration, I don't find it any different than other in-line 4's Ive had such as GS's, FZR's, GSX-R's, CBR's, Ninja's or the R1. Perhaps my comfort expectations were lower, but my bike is 100% totally stock, and I am totally happy. Heck even the seat seems to be getting better as it's broken in. Good luck and I hope you keep the Feejer!

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to thank everyone for their impute. I went on some longer rides to try to get used to the riding postion like some of you suggested, it's not so much the seat, my butt doesn't really get sore it's more my upper shoulders and hands getting numb. I tried not to putting pressure on grips, I installed a cramp buster and I wear fingerless gloves with padding, they help. It seems like I'm putting a lot of downward pressure on bars, like I was really tall but I'm only 5' 8". It's hard to explain, maybe I need risers, I'm going to wait until winter to install if I decide to get them.

hold yourself up with your back muscles. don't lean on the bars. at any time when you feel yourself stiff on the bars, wiggle your elbows to loosen up. it's the difference between riding a cruiser and a sport-tourer. not only will your shoulders thank you but you'll find the bike steers MUCH lighter without the stiffness and weight being transferred to the bars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must be one of the lucky ones. I have not had too much problem with the bike in 100% stock form (except I do like the PR2's so much better than the original tires). I bought a 2006A model brand new, and have put only 14K on it, but have taken several 1200-1800 mile three and four days rides. Yes, my ass gets a little sore from the stock seat, but I occasionally stand on the pegs and stretch and this seems to help. Being 6'3 and 240, I do find a taller windshield would be nice, as I get buffeted by the wind in the top of the helmet. This may be the one farkle I pony up for since funds are a consideration to be fair. Many on here recommended the Yoda riding position, and I made it a point to learn this, and it has really helped me as well. I have put down 650 miles in one day, but nothing compared to many on here. Like many others have said, you may want to take the time to get used to the bike before you give up on it. Compared to the myriad of Sport bikes I have owned (most recently a 2004 R1) this bike is a Lazy Boy recliner. As for the vibration, I don't find it any different than other in-line 4's Ive had such as GS's, FZR's, GSX-R's, CBR's, Ninja's or the R1. Perhaps my comfort expectations were lower, but my bike is 100% totally stock, and I am totally happy. Heck even the seat seems to be getting better as it's broken in. Good luck and I hope you keep the Feejer!

Or it could just be that you are not a whiny shit like some are.

I see very little problems with this bike ether. Could it be we are riding it wrong?

Nah, can't be that. Mine is entirely stock too and I have taken two long rides the past two weekends...about 1,100 miles. One of the weekend rides was with my wife on the back. Everything on the bike is stock, except the peg extenders that I put on for her. I was about to spend money I didn't have on things that I thought I needed to make it comfortable. All I needed was to learn how to sit on the bike so that my arms were relaxed and get my back in a comfortable position.

I can feel the seat breaking in and actually forming itself to my behind. I'm glad I didn't spend a lot of money on things I really don't need.

This is no knock on those that do need, or find things that make the bike more comfortable to them. Every one is different. Just give it time and miles before you spend money on something that in the long run you might not need. I think it is going to be one heck of a touring bike, and I came off of a BMW K1200 LT. And it's a blast to ride.

Keith

Or it could just be that you are not a whiny shit like some are.

I see very little problems with this bike ether. Could it be we are riding it wrong?

Hi

First let me say that any comments are based on the 04/05 UK model but I don't think there are any differences. Yes the standard seat is lousy, especially for the pillion. It slopes forward so they are constantly crashing into the rider plus there is no padding at the very tail. I built my own based on an old PC800 seat I had spare but aftermarket or professionally modified seats can help a lot. The rear shock is simply an insult on a bike this expensive. The spring is too soft, the lack of adjustment (one click soft or hard - pleeeease) and rebound only damping is a joke and the result is that with any kind of load, the back end sags disastrously. Any expert on suspension set-up will go into convulsions over the rear end sag on an FJR. This can be cured by fitting an aftermarket shock but at a price. I've done 40,000 miles on an Ohlins and 30,000 on a WP shock with great results. Both had to be specified with a harder spring (130 or 140 Newton) than they wanted to supply but I do most of my mileage two up and loaded. Nevertheless, it works well solo so I'm happy. A note of caution: up to 05 the ABS is mounted on a transverse plate exactly where the external reservoir sits on an exotic shock so the plate has to be cut away. Non ABS models have no problem. 06 onwards, this plate carries a great lump of electronics right where you need to cut it away so an exotic shock may not be an option. In any case, the supplier MUST confirm that the shock fits the model and year of your bike. Most shock manufacturers just list FJR1300 and have no idea of the problems. The hydraulic remote preload adjusters are a must have. I also fitted a larger screen but that's just personal preference. After lots of research into the handlebar position, I discovered that the bikes I was most comfortable on had the bars slightly more pulled back than the stock FJR bars, not just a matter of risers. I made my own riser that enabled the bars to be pulled back slightly and that helped wrist fatigue. I know that it shouldn't be necessary to do all this work but now that I have, I'm very happy with the bike (I'm on my second one). It won't match a GL1800 for all day comfort but it IS a tourer with the added bonus of sporting abilties when needed.

UKDave