Touring Boot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I searched Boot advice and most recommendations were back in 05. The subject has been touched on

recently, but since I have been "Hands on shopping", I found the following:

I prefer 3/4 fit boots

I want waterproof/comfortable boots for LD rides

I am not willing to spend big $

Sizes vary between brands.

That being said, I've seen a neg. feedback on tourmaster response sc, which was my first choice.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks

I searched Boot advice and most recommendations were back in 05. The subject has been touched on recently, but since I have been "Hands on shopping", I found the following:

I prefer 3/4 fit boots

That being said, I've seen a neg. feedback on tourmaster response sc, which was my first choice.

What do you consider "Big $" ?

I searched Boot advice and most recommendations were back in 05. The subject has been touched on recently, but since I have been "Hands on shopping", I found the following:

I prefer 3/4 fit boots

have you looked at Bates? might be taller than 3/4 but they are shorter than my Rocky's.

I prefer 3/4 fit boots

What do you consider "Big $" ?
Anything Over $300 give or take

I bought these last year when they were made by Diadora, but they are the exact same boots.

I wear a 13, which translated to a 47, though they are snug. I won't be getting thick socks into them. The zipper can be sticky if you don't line it up just right.

I will say: I used my Dremel tool to carve out the arch only slightly on the left boot. I felt as though it was sticking a bit when up-shifting.

Durable, stylish, waterproof so far, and very functional, though.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
My preference for a 3/4 boot is based on a plate W/ 7 screws in my right ankle,

not cosmetic. I have a aerostich RC which is very long, so I think waterproofing

will be OK with the overhang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tour Master Solution: comfy, cheap, waterproof, I've had a pair in daily use over 2 years now, including one crash. feet have never been wet, and I can wear them and walk in them all day if need be. 120 bucks or so. They might be taller than you're looking for. They have a safety reflector on the heel, too.

Had a set of Teknic Stingers which are cheaper still, and shorter, but they only lasted about 6 months before they statred doing weird things, like the ribs inside the sole breaking loose, one toe starting to separate from the boot, etc. They weren't as secure, either, with velcro only fastening, where the Solutions have a zipper with a velcro flap. They had a safety reflector on the backl of the boot, but high on the boot, where it would have been under the pants leg! Dumb! this was back in '07, and I think they came out with a new boot under the Stinger name, so my complaints may be void by now. Feet never got wet with the Teknic boots, but I wouldn't have another pair.

Tour Master Solution: comfy, cheap, waterproof, I've had a pair in daily use over 2 years now, including one crash. feet have never been wet, and I can wear them and walk in them all day if need be. 120 bucks or so. They might be taller than you're looking for. They have a safety reflector on the heel, too.
Had a set of Teknic Stingers which are cheaper still, and shorter, but they only lasted about 6 months before they statred doing weird things, like the ribs inside the sole breaking loose, one toe starting to separate from the boot, etc. They weren't as secure, either, with velcro only fastening, where the Solutions have a zipper with a velcro flap. They had a safety reflector on the backl of the boot, but high on the boot, where it would have been under the pants leg! Dumb! this was back in '07, and I think they came out with a new boot under the Stinger name, so my complaints may be void by now. Feet never got wet with the Teknic boots, but I wouldn't have another pair.
tourmaster? How is the fitting? Are they true to size?

This boot was on my short list along with the first gear express and alpinestar ridge.

I think this is going to be my next boot. I can get them about $50.00 off that price.

233507_large.jpg

tourmaster? How is the fitting? Are they true to size?

This boot was on my short list along with the first gear express and alpinestar ridge.
True to size, fit great. Pretty stiff when brand new, took a few on/off cycles to break in.

I think this is going to be my next boot. I can get them about $50.00 off that price.
233507_large.jpg
If these are the ones I have (I think they are), they have their zip and Velcro fastening on the inside. I find mine catch on the peg when feeling for the kick-stand, that's nearly caused an expensive problem more than once. I would much prefer the fastening on the outside.

Other than that, they are very good boots (comfortable, warm, waterproof).

I have a problem similar to 101stpathfinder, an ankle full of plates, rods & screws on both sides. Every type of Sidi that I've tried on hits or presses on the hardware making it nearly impossible to walk. 101stpathfinder should find a local shop that carries Sidis and try them on before buying. I love what the Sidi's offer for features but just can't wear them.

I like the Alpinestars Ridge, I take a US men's 14 and the 14 fit fine. See example here at New Enough

Wow! Looking also for some new boots. These look great, just what I was looking for. Are they good for riding in cold weather ya think?

Not like snow cold weather, but they are waterproof and 'windproof' so to speak, I'g guess winter in Houston would not be a problem. Could order one size up and add thicker socks, too.

Several times I have spent the better part of a day walking in them, not a problem for me. But really I usually ride wearing them and not a problem there either, except above 90 degrees F they do get a little hot. The velcro / zipper combo keeps them closed, never caught them on anything.

I've been using the Tourmaster road solution for 4 years now. On my second pair, but I tend to where them all day. I've worn them for the day at work, as a mechanic. Comfortable, waterproof to the tops(even standing in water), and warm down to the 30's.