Touring Boot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's with everyone recommending motorcycle boots? My favorite boot for riding is not a motorcycle boot at all. It's designed with police/swat/military in mind. The Converse C8874 boot.

C8874BIG.jpg

EXTREMELY comfortable (I'd go on a ride all day and leave them on afterwards after getting home). The design is great. Ankle support, Sure there are laces, but I cut them, double knot them and tuck them in, and use the side-zipper to get in and out of the boots.

Am I crazy for saving a few hundred bucks and buying boots not specifically designed for riding? For sport-touring purposes, I just think that some basic military-style boots SHOULD be able to stand up to the wear and tear and provide protection.

Alexi

There's a reaon why motorcycle boots don't have that agressive sole ... it can cause your foot to hang up and get caught on foot pegs and floorboards. I had a pair of boots with a sole like that but did not like the way they got caught on the pegs, brake pedal or gear shift.

What's with everyone recommending motorcycle boots? My favorite boot for riding is not a motorcycle boot at all. It's designed with police/swat/military in mind. The Converse C8874 boot.
C8874BIG.jpg

EXTREMELY comfortable (I'd go on a ride all day and leave them on afterwards after getting home). The design is great. Ankle support, Sure there are laces, but I cut them, double knot them and tuck them in, and use the side-zipper to get in and out of the boots.

Am I crazy for saving a few hundred bucks and buying boots not specifically designed for riding? For sport-touring purposes, I just think that some basic military-style boots SHOULD be able to stand up to the wear and tear and provide protection.

Alexi
very similar to the Bates I have and really like. never had a problem with the aggressive sole hanging me up.

What's with everyone recommending motorcycle boots? My favorite boot for riding is not a motorcycle boot at all. It's designed with police/swat/military in mind. {Snippage}

Alexi
No you are Not crazy and I agree with you totally. I have used a standard military issue leather combat boot for years. Paid US $32 for the last pair at the PX back in 1997. Even crashed in 2002 at 60+ mph with a pair on and slid an ungodly distance before coming to a stop. Boots did not wear through, and saved the bacon on my feet, Aerostitch RoadCrafter, Tourmaster gloves, and Shuberthe Helme Concept One, did the rest.

Recently however, I have switched to a side zipped "military style" up over ankle, and up the calf style boot, with laces up the front. Purchased from Big 5 Sporting Goods, and I paid US $32 for them on sale. I haven't gotten wet in them yet, but I'm No duck and don't ride much in the rain!

The only complaint I can wedge in there, is that sometimes it is a bit tight to get the bulky toe under the shifter for upshifts into higher gears.

Last edited by a moderator: