Touring Boot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is an article you may find interesting in assisting in the boot search.Click boots here
I got an error message trying to view your link. Not sure if it's my computer or your link.

I must add on the boot topic that i have not tried the other makes of boots because I too am a penny pincher these days.

I have also recently received some plates and screws to my leg that have not yet been tried in my boots, so I cannot vouch for their comfort in that area

I've been wearing a pair of Cruiserworks shorty side-zip boots for 5 years and 50K miles or so, and they are still waterproof and look good with normal care. The soles and heels are a soft compound that has worn down, and they shrank just a tiny bit after a bunch of rainy rides. So I would recommend going up a size from your regular shoe size if ordering. I understand they went with a new rubber compound on soles and heels that is more durable than my pair. Mine are still waterproof, even in downpours; good armor in the toes & heels and customer service over the years has been good.

They look more like a non-motorcycling boot with pants over the top; I wore them to work for a year most days, until they shrunk and walkiing for distance wasn't fun -- and I wanted to preserve the soles and heels that were wearing faster than desired. They work great while riding even now. I'd recommend them (and have in the past), especially if you have a wide width foot as they go to a EEEE.

The other boot I have been looking at to replace my venerable Cruiserworks, is custom Westco boots. But those are outside your budget. I'm tired of buying inexpensive gear 5 times, when one correct purchase would be cheaper in the long run.

YMMV, but good luck!

Bah! Drop about a half-grand and get some SERIOUS protection!! :D

Sidi Vortice

sidistompers.jpg

I'm gonna add a +1 for the Tourmaster Solutions. I concur with everything mentioned above by others for comfort, waterproofness and quality.

I can't find anything wrong with this boot other than it took me about 8-10 rides to break in enough that they felt good to walk around in.

They are pretty nuetral in the looks department, which is a plus for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all well to ask for recommendations, but...

I'm in the market for new boots too, and have been trying on numerous makes. It's really apparent to me that you NEED to try on the various boots. I've had on Sidis, Oxtars, Joe Rockets, AlpineStars, & just about everything else I could find. We're fortunate in my area to have a number of stores selling boots. But a size 45 (they're just about all metric) in one is NOT the same as a 45 in another line. The Sidis for me are just about perfect, while the exact same Alpinestar gives me a hot spot on the small toes and ankle that just are excrutiating.

Personally and for my money, I'l be getting a new pair of Sidis soon and on sale their LD boots are in the $200 range. But for you, I strongly recommend trying the various goods that are out there.

Bob

I'm gonna add a +1 for the Tourmaster Solutions. I concur with everything mentioned above by others for comfort, waterproofness and quality.I can't find anything wrong with this boot other than it took me about 8-10 rides to break in enough that they felt good to walk around in.

They are pretty nuetral in the looks department, which is a plus for me.
+ another. Deb wears the ladies version - loves them.

Another vote for Tourmaster Solution Boots. Very comfortable to walk in and good protection from wet and cold. Fit true to size for me and the only break-in was that at first, it was difficult getting them on and off.

I think this[/url] is going to be my next boot. I can get them about $50.00 off that price.
I love this boot, and have put 10k miles on mine with no complaint. Easy to walk around in too. I bought a backup pair this weekend from the local dealer for $120!! (Got an instant 50% off coupon for all the parts and accessories I wanted, ended up with 2 pr. boots, motor oil, filters, stands, and complete get up for the missus).

They run true to size and not as narrow as the others (like SIDI)

I've been wearing a pair of Cruiserworks shorty side-zip boots for 5 years and 50K miles or so, and they are still waterproof and look good with normal care. The soles and heels are a soft compound that has worn down, and they shrank just a tiny bit after a bunch of rainy rides. So I would recommend going up a size from your regular shoe size if ordering. ....
I have close to 1000 miles on my Cruiserworks boots and like them a lot. I bought them after hearing a long interview with the North Carolina family that runs the company on Side Stand Up.

I liked that they are made in American sizes for American feet. They really look good, and I also frequently wear them to work.

The only problem I've had is that the heal material melts quickly if you touch your exhaust pipe with it.

The side zipper model like I have probably does not provide as much ankle support as the lace up version.

They'll resole them for (IIRC) $60, and they told me when I bought them they said that they usually need resoling every five to ten years.

They do stand behind their product.

I think this is going to be my next boot. I can get them about $50.00 off that price.
233507_large.jpg
I got those a couple years ago. Good boots for a year, then no longer waterproof. On a ride through the rain in Ohio this past spring I they held water .. two hours later I stopped and poured the water out.

Now I have the Sidi Canyon's .. excellent boots but a bit warmer.

I've been wearing a pair of Cruiserworks shorty side-zip boots for 5 years and 50K miles or so, and they are still waterproof and look good with normal care. The soles and heels are a soft compound that has worn down, and they shrank just a tiny bit after a bunch of rainy rides. So I would recommend going up a size from your regular shoe size if ordering. ....
I have close to 1000 miles on my Cruiserworks boots and like them a lot. I bought them after hearing a long interview with the North Carolina family that runs the company on Side Stand Up.

I liked that they are made in American sizes for American feet. They really look good, and I also frequently wear them to work.

The only problem I've had is that the heal material melts quickly if you touch your exhaust pipe with it.

The side zipper model like I have probably does not provide as much ankle support as the lace up version.

They'll resole them for (IIRC) $60, and they told me when I bought them they said that they usually need resoling every five to ten years.

They do stand behind their product.
5+ years, at least 20k miles. Had them resoled last year and they're great. Melted spot on heel isn't a big problem or concern. I'd buy again, but it'll probably be another 3-5 years before it's necessary. Good boot.

I bought a pair of Technic Violators (unfortunately named..). Waterproof - and believe me when I say I've ridden through some frog chokers wearing them (think waterproof liners + rainsuit and you STILL get wet) and they've been great. A little warm on a hot day, but their quite light, look decent being on the racy side. Negatives, you don't want to walk far in them and you've got to be careful zipping them up so that you don't catch the waterproof liner in the zipper.

Got them for under a hundy from New Enough.

Violators

Both Jim and I have the Alpinestars S-MX-5. We love them. They're waterproof and yet breathable, very comfortable, well made and not too expensive.
https://www.newenough.com/boots/racing_boot...ycle_boots.html
herfjr, which version/model do you guys have, you said they are waterproof but are these the vented or un-vented version?\

I'm interested in these boots, and think the Vented & Waterproof version would be most versatile.