Track bike / liter bike Which to get and why

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fencer

Why yes, I am a Smart ASS
Reaction score
GSXR, R-1 or a CBR 1000? advantage of one over the other. If you have a bike I didn't list, add it.

I am thinking seriously of getting a late model used bike to make into a track bike. I could not justify the cost of another new expensive toy. Also add about one year over another if a year had better suspension/ model changes, engine upgrades.

Thanks.

And yes, I know there are a ton of good 650/750 bikes as well, but they just don't do it for me. Well maybe a 750, but not the 600s.

The Buell catches my eye as well, but I don't know about performance.

I think the 3 you listed are just about equal in every sense. Can't go wrong with Honda, Yamaha, or Suzuki. I've ridden the GSXr 1000 and it is awesome! Coming from an R6 the literbikes aren't much different unless you are at the track where the extra cc's help in the 60-200mph roll on. I've also ridden the buell crotchrocket (firebolt xb12 I think) and I can say for sure the the japs make the better bike by far. I didn't like the buell's funky brake rotor and the engine didn't seem to have nearly as much power as the gsxr. The buell had some great torque but rpm range didn't nearly hit the stratospheric 15,000rpm (not exactly sure what redline is) like the literbikes. Plus the handling on the gsxr was rocksolid. I got to ride some mtn roads in CO with the gsxr but havn't been to the track where the literbikes really shine. I'm pretty sure the R1 and cbr are very similar with only minor differences b/w the three - anyways my .02

I just went through this. If you want to know the best process for THINKING about this, break out a spreadsheet. On one axis put the things you value or want . . .

Great handling

Easy maintenance

Mind bending performance

Etc.

On the other axis, put your choices

Honda

Yammy

Suzi

Assign scores. Weight the values. Multiply. There's your choice.

The problem in this case is that for 95% of us, there is no useful difference between those bikes. Based on the fact that you're asking and than you were looking at a $2,000 bike on another thread, I'm going to guess that you don't consider yourself an expert rider (If you are, please forgive the assumption; no offense intended). In that case, any of those three bikes have too much of everything (IMHO).

So if you want to limit your choices to those bikes, my suggestion is to buy based on the best deal you can find. If you want to read about the differences between 07s and used bikes, get some back copies of TWO magazine (British). They do that type of comparison every month. Or to save you the trouble, going back a couple of years on any of those three gives you a terrific bike that can only be beat by the current edition in the hands of a really, really good rider. With some farkling, you can close the gap for the difference in purchase price or less.

To your other question, let me suggest that you add the Suzuki SV1000S to your list. Also a liter bike, but a twin. Lower horsepower but bags of torque. Used ones can be had for a very reasonable price. You'll have to fettle the suspension a bit, but it's not that pricey to do (check out the SV forums). They're easier to work on and farkle than any of the other bikes you've mentioned. They're a blast to ride on road or track. And unless the other liter bike guys you're riding with are significantly better riders than you, the SV will more than keep up on anything other than looooonnnnng straights. I got a 2005 with 3000 miles and farkles out the ears for $6000.

By adding the SV to the list, you now have a meaningfully different choice from the other three. In the same vein, you could add the new Rotax Buell to the list . . . SV like but more eccentric, more power, and you'd have the experience of being the first in your solar system to have one (and all that goes with it).

And just to round out your list, a Tuono, a Speed Triple, or a Super Duke are very, very capable track machines, though obviously a different riding experience completely.

More than .02. Hope it helps.

No, I don't consider myself an expert rider - far from it.

I would put myself on the upper end of fair to the middle of the good range.

At the same time I wish to improve - hence the track bike.

I have ridden several 600 class bikes and even very recently (two weeks ago)

an 07 SV1000. and they just for lack of a better expression - seem lacking

n0stress R1 (an 04) put a smile on my face.

the $2000 seems like a good place to start to make a realtively inexpensive toy that would not see the street.

I roadraced for 18 years. I'm an ex WERA race school instructor, ex WERA Race Director, and I have a couple of expert level regional championships with CMRA and WERA in the Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana region. (Ben Spies, Colin Edwards, etc. etc etc.) I'm only mentioning these things so you'll understand I have an experienced perspective. (It may not be correct, but it's experienced.)

If your interest is in getting better with a literbike, then by all means, buy any of the three and have fun.

However, if your interest is in getting GOOD at corners, planning, execution, and recovery, then buy an old 600 and learn how to wring its neck. There is a thing called RACECRAFT that you'll never learn by starting on a literbike. Too much concentration is required on a literbike, and when you're supposed to be thinking about your next corner entry, you'll be spending your time trying to figure out why the back end stepped out violently about 0.1 seconds ago.

When you hop on a literbike and start to use it near its potential, all kinds of things happen. Things you never thought about! Are you prepared for a 150 mph wheelie that's caused by a slight rise in the racetrack that's insignificant at 120? Are you prepared to be able to ignite the rear tire at any angle or speed you want?

All I'm saying is, there are skills used on the track that "you don't know you don't know". A pre-crashed, already discounted, former racebike from a prior generation allows you to not worry about the hardware or the surprises. That way you can spend your time and money on the cerebral part of getting good. Believe me...... there's lots of mental homework, mental stress, and intense thought that goes into getting good.

Besides, it's cool to take your old hunk-o-junk and slay a few 'invaders'. :D

YMMV

All I'm saying is, there are skills used on the track that "you don't know you don't know". A pre-crashed, already discounted, former racebike from a prior generation allows you to not worry about the hardware or the surprises. That way you can spend your time and money on the cerebral part of getting good. Believe me...... there's lots of mental homework, mental stress, and intense thought that goes into getting good.
Besides, it's cool to take your old hunk-o-junk and slay a few 'invaders'. :D

YMMV
Thats why I posted this

I am trying to keep myself under $4k

However, if your interest is in getting GOOD at corners, planning, execution, and recovery, then buy an old 600 and learn how to wring its neck. There is a thing called RACECRAFT that you'll never learn by starting on a literbike. Too much concentration is required on a literbike, and when you're supposed to be thinking about your next corner entry, you'll be spending your time trying to figure out why the back end stepped out violently about 0.1 seconds ago
I hear you.

Nothing says I have to run at 15k redline and I doubt I'll be doing 150 any time soon. I can hold myself back and listen to others. Such as following the advice of running in higher gears to learn the track.

I've never done a track day, and I've never raced. I only say that so you'll know that my advice is absolutely worthless. I would go with a used H.D. Sportster with ape-hangers and loud pipes. Remember, it's not the bike, it's the rider. Or, you could go with the guy that's BTDT and get a 600. :grin:

I don't know if fencer will even fit on a 600. When he rode mine, his dang elbows rested on his knees. (Danged knuckle-dragging neanderthal.) Um, I mean Kevin is a pretty big boy.

I don't know if fencer will even fit on a 600. When he rode mine, his dang elbows rested on his knees. (Danged knuckle-dragging neanderthal.) Um, I mean Kevin is a pretty big boy.

600/750/1000 RR's are all basicly the same size.................small!

Can't say it any better than Andre did. Check out the classified ads for the race organizations and track day organizations to find a bike that has already been prepped. Example https://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Additionally, GSXRs seem to be the most common track/race bike, so, there should be a good supply of parts available.

Last edited by a moderator:

600/750/1000 RR's are all basicly the same size.................small!
Then it was probably that upright seating position on mine (FZ) that had him folded up.

Can't say it any better than Andre did. Check out the classified ads for the race organizations and track day organizations to find a bike that has already been prepped. Example https://forums.13x.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48
Additionally, GSXRs seem to be the most common track/race bike, so, there should be a good supply of parts available.
Plus one on this. I bougt an 01 GSXR 750 ex-race bike off that baord in June. Paid $3700 for it ready to go to the track. The cost of stting up a track bike right gets pretty pricey. The mod thing always seems to work the same, if they are on the bike they have little value, seperatly it is a different matter.

If you look closely at some of these race/track bikes you can find a really nicely set up machine much cheaper than you can do it your self.

One major item to pay attention to is the weight the suspension is set up for if you can find one set close to your numbers you will be far ahead.

BTW, my 750 screams! It has a superbike spec motor with 140 HP at the wheel, weighs about 350#. It's low RPM power delivery is fairly tame, but on a straight it will hang with the liter's, or more!

There are lot's of good possibilities in the Atlanta area, not so far from you.