Traded my FJR today...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WAIT a second - I saw TWO CAR TIRES on the FRONT of that thing!
Yer ballz 'r gonna fall off and yer spleen is gonna explode!!

:rolleyes:

Congrats on the new ride! No need to be a stranger!
There's a CT on the rear, too, so his prostate is gonna be a goner, too.

Oh....wait....Hamie turnin' 70. His prostate is already gone! :blum:

By the way this is a pretty HAWT machine:

639609284_nLaVy-L.jpg

.....and the 3-wheeler ain't too bad, either! :yahoo:
:lol: you guys are good for an old girl's soul !!
Hey Mary Ellen, I don't see an "old girl" in that pic. You must have cut her out of the photo. :yahoo: . OMG three (3) car tires :dribble: ---what will they come up with next? Enjoy Hamie. I'm still a good ways away from your age, but I hope I'm riding until the last breath whenever that is.

doctorj

Thanks for all the replies.... I'll be lurking around and if possible will try to make SFO and EOM again....went out for a longer ride today... and just like the FJR.. man, I need a different seat, I need a new windshield, I need a swaybar...I need....I need... I need... never ends does it.. :dribble:

Thanks for all the replies.... I'll be lurking around and if possible will try to make SFO and EOM again....went out for a longer ride today... and just like the FJR.. man, I need a different seat, I need a new windshield, I need a swaybar...I need....I need... I need... never ends does it.. :dribble:
to go to the darkside...oh wait...nevermind :yahoo:

Hey Mary Ellen, I don't see an "old girl" in that pic. You must have cut her out of the photo. :yahoo: . OMG three (3) car tires :dribble: ---what will they come up with next? Enjoy Hamie. I'm still a good ways away from your age, but I hope I'm riding until the last breath whenever that is.

doctorj
Nice of you to say, doc :)

I know "age" is largely a state of mind but there IS the incontrovertible issue of chronological age - and it's become an issue for me, although getting older beats hell out of the alternative. I saw a birthday card that said "Age is only a number" and on the inside: "and King Kong was only a monkey" . Pretty well sums it up! :D

ps - sorry for the thread hijack. I'm terrible for (or good at) this :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

doctorj

I know "age" is largely a state of mind but there IS the incontrovertible issue of chronological age - and it's become an issue for me, although getting older beats hell out of the alternative. I saw a birthday card that said "Age is only a number" and on the inside: "and King Kong was only a monkey" . Pretty well sums it up! :D

yep..."golden years my ass" 'bout sums it up for moi <sigh>

Enjoy your new ride and stick a ride report up from time to time so we know how these things are on longer rides. Be safe.

A guy in town has a spyder with two brothers exhaust. It's one of the nicest sounding bikes i've ever heard.

doctorj

Next time I'm on the east coast, I'm looking you up!! Age is just a number and mine's unlisted!

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....... I was at the Toronto Bike Show weekend before last, and Can-Am was showing off the new RT with all it's glory, touring seat, built-in hard bags and trunk, lots of functional lights and a touch of chrome. Oh yes, the matching trailer, too. The factory rep told me to be sure to take at least two hours to learn how to ride it in the corners, a half hour isn't enough. Those with one will understand..... so, perhaps one day................

Next time I'm on the east coast, I'm looking you up!! Age is just a number and mine's unlisted!
Good idea. I should UNlist mine

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming....... I was at the Toronto Bike Show weekend before last, and Can-Am was showing off the new RT with all it's glory, touring seat, built-in hard bags and trunk, lots of functional lights and a touch of chrome. Oh yes, the matching trailer, too. The factory rep told me to be sure to take at least two hours to learn how to ride it in the corners, a half hour isn't enough. Those with one will understand..... so, perhaps one day................
I took that one (in photo) for a test ride. Yes, I wore a helmet! The cornering AND the lack of brake lever was weird but it WAS fun. Like ANYthing, it's what you get used to.

See you when you get here :)

Well I traded in my Spyder for the FJR (down to two wheels, working my way down to one wheel). I put 11,000 miles on my 2008 Spyder from April 2008 to April 2009 and for the most part I enjoyed the experience. However, there were some issues. Specifically, the electronic nanny that keeps you from launching yourself into oblivion tends to kick in early and eliminate a lot of the fun. Also the steering can be, um, interesting. There is a motor that will prevent you from turning too sharply based on speed and other factors. My suggestion is you go to www.spydertalk.com and read about the issues with the steering.

I would hope that a lot of the problems with the first year spyders have been fixed. But please be careful, it's not a bike and it doesn't handle anything like a two wheeler. At 70, I can't imagine riding such a beast but who knows, I'm only 44.

Say it ain't so, Hamie! I suspect you bought it up in Georgetown?
No...got it at Woods, that's where I got the FJR and like before just looking around... they made me another good deal on a '09 SM5 demo w/811 miles with new vehicle warranty plus $1000 accessories.. so rode it home...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I traded in my Spyder for the FJR (down to two wheels, working my way down to one wheel). I put 11,000 miles on my 2008 Spyder from April 2008 to April 2009 and for the most part I enjoyed the experience. However, there were some issues. Specifically, the electronic nanny that keeps you from launching yourself into oblivion tends to kick in early and eliminate a lot of the fun. Also the steering can be, um, interesting. There is a motor that will prevent you from turning too sharply based on speed and other factors. My suggestion is you go to www.spydertalk.com and read about the issues with the steering.
I would hope that a lot of the problems with the first year spyders have been fixed. But please be careful, it's not a bike and it doesn't handle anything like a two wheeler. At 70, I can't imagine riding such a beast but who knows, I'm only 44.
And I thought I was getting it to make it easier on myself.. :unsure: I did follow the forums for awhile before getting it... enought were having problems to have a recall but a lot of them had no problems at all... so thought maybe the '09's would be alright.. guess we'll see whether I made a mistake or not after riding for awhile... but I'm planning on it being a fun time. :yahoo:

Congratulations on the new ride. I'm impressed 70 and still riding, go for it. Like other people have already said keep us up to date on what you think. ENJOY!!!!

Dust

First I would like to thank everyone on the forum..it has been a great year for me with trips to both SFO and EOM and the FJR has been great.. I had been thinking as I am turning 70 next month and the FJR seems to be getting heavier that I should be riding something else...well happen to stop by one of the local dealers today and they gave me a deal on a 2009 Can-Am Spyder that I couldn't pass up....so rode it home.... Going to miss SFO and EOM.. Thanks again for all your help this past year...
Like this ?! They're fun - in a weird kind of way :) Enjoy and stay safe

639609284_nLaVy-L.jpg
Same color... Full Moon w/hard bags.. SM5... hoping I have as much fun as I did with the FJR...

Hamie,, you act like you're going somewhere,,??

When I had the CBR I rode with the HSTA (Honda Sport Touring Assoc.) a couple of times..

Those guy were great , They didn't care what you rode as long as it had Two wheels,,,, aaaaah ??.. :blink:

well,, as long as it was a motorcycle ,,aah ??.. :dribble:

Well you know what I mean ,,,

,,,, And if it attracts babes like in the pictures ,,, I want one Tooooo..!! :yahoo: :rolleyes: :clapping:

70 and still riding ,,, you are my hero,,,, :clapping:

(hurt my back a couple months ago ,, and haven't been riding,,, now it's winter ,,hope to be back at it by spring)

Thanks again for all the posts.... fun time ahead... farkles on the way :clapping: and the Audiovox cruise control I had on the FJR will be installed on the Spyder...

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas...

Congrats!

Surely when you start lurking around the Spyder Forums, you'll find a 'reverse darkside' - be sure and post up a pic/link to it. Imagine putting MC tires on a reverse -Tri-cycle. Man, how things evolve.....