Trailer hitch build

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only thing I can think of is you legally have to have them. One law applied across all motor vehicles towing a trailer.

A more elegant solution perhaps would be to replace the chains with some kind of cable.

They have ones that are coated in clear or black that would look quite nice.

..Why use safety chains on a bike trailer? If something goes wrong enough to need chains I would think you wouldn't chains so the problem would be released and left behind instead of thrashing around while still attached to the bike.
Only thing I can think of is you legally have to have them. One law applied across all motor vehicles towing a trailer.
Of course, that is the correct answer. It still would worry me about an out of control trailer whipping around while anchored to the rear of the bike.

..Why use safety chains on a bike trailer? If something goes wrong enough to need chains I would think you wouldn't chains so the problem would be released and left behind instead of thrashing around while still attached to the bike.
Of course, that is the correct answer. It still would worry me about an out of control trailer whipping around while anchored to the rear of the bike.
Well think about it a minute, what about the poor bastard behind the motorcycle? Now if you jettisoned your trailer to keep yourself safe you just made yourself liable for a big law suit for the guy that has to take the impact of it.

It would certainly be better to be ejected off your motorcycle in traffic than have someone inside a vehicle get struck by a light weight trailer
wink.png
We have been long term trailer haulers, both light weight camping and heavy horse trailers, using cars and trucks. I get safety chains.

It does bring back memories of a 5:00 PM commute at 55 mph in bumper to bumper traffic on Rt 128 (an 8 lane highway around Boston) where a trailer loaded with construction materials came off the hitch. As the chain retained trailer wildly swung back and forth it threw out 50 lb bags of concrete across the road along with the sundry mix of cinder blocks and 6x6 beams. The PU which was towing the trailer would go up on two wheels on one side then flip back and go up on two wheels on the other side as it slew across various lanes of the road. There were lots and lots of vehicles damaged or destroyed in less than a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
A properly hitched trailer will never come off. Put the chains on there and keep your head together when you hitch the trailer, and you'll never have a problem.

A properly hitched trailer will never come off. Put the chains on there and keep your head together when you hitch the trailer, and you'll never have a problem.
True dis. Because much of our trailer towing was horses you *really* don't want accidents like the hitch popping off. Adjust the trailer hitch properly for the ball you are using. If you drop the trailer hitch over the ball, you never, ever move away until it is latched and verified first. Our horse trailers have brakes, so do a hitch verification along with a brake and lights check before pulling off. Always. In the rain and in the dark too.

I'm planning on using some cables to save a tinsy bit of weight (and they don't rattle, if I could even hear it with wind and a helmet...) instead of chains, but it is a sticky situation. Personally, I'd rather not have a secondary restraint system because if my trailer were to become unhitched and the cables/chains let it swing up under the hitch and into the rear tire.... the rear tire is going to try to throw it up in the air and into the hitch and I could see that being disastrous very quickly! But on the other hand if my ghost trailer flew across the road and caused an accident where someone got hurt or killed, that's definitely worse than risking my own safety. Chains are required for the safety of others, not ourselves. Best approach is like Zilla mentioned; keep the trailer on the bike in the first place! :)

I'm late to the table as usual, but I attached the chains to the bolt that holds the coupler to the trailer tongue. It's about 6" back from the ball. There are only 6 links plus the elongated s hook on each chain. The s hooks attach no further than 2" to the left and right of the ball. This leaves just enough slack to jack knife the trailer. More importantly this also is just enough chain to cover the legal aspect.

It does bring back memories of a 5:00 PM commute at 55 mph in bumper to bumper traffic on Rt 128 (an 8 lane highway around Boston) where a trailer loaded with construction materials came off the hitch. As the chain retained trailer wildly swung back and forth it threw out 50 lb bags of concrete across the road along with the sundry mix of cinder blocks and 6x6 beams. The PU which was towing the trailer would go up on two wheels on one side then flip back and go up on two wheels on the other side as it slew across various lanes of the road. There were lots and lots of vehicles damaged or destroyed in less than a minute.

Yikes!

Morning Miami I-95 rush hour traffic, riding my ST1100 to meet my buddy to go to the keys. A sudden white out, cars swerving everywhere, WTF?

Landscaping contractor loses his trailer with maybe 20 bags of lime, oh it get's better. Out of the lime cloud appears a John Deere riding lawnmower, bouncing but still on it's tires.

My ass sucked up the seat, and I inhaled the cigar butt I was chewing on. Threshold braking the non ABS to keep the rear from locking up, I came within two feet of a sideways Highway Patrol car. With the patrol women gathering herself in shock, I got off the bike and gave myself the Heimlich manuever to dislodge the cigar butt. The cop was trying to figure out WTF I was doing and asked if I was alright. That was some good driving, I was sure you would hit me. Good, hell, I was holding on and praying.

Good safety chains are more better.

Morning Miami I-95 rush hour traffic, riding my ST1100 to meet my buddy to go to the keys. A sudden white out, cars swerving everywhere, WTF?Landscaping contractor loses his trailer with maybe 20 bags of lime, oh it get's better. Out of the lime cloud appears a John Deere riding lawnmower, bouncing but still on it's tires.

My ass sucked up the seat, and I inhaled the cigar butt I was chewing on. Threshold braking the non ABS to keep the rear from locking up, I came within two feet of a sideways Highway Patrol car. With the patrol women gathering herself in shock, I got off the bike and gave myself the Heimlich manuever to dislodge the cigar butt. The cop was trying to figure out WTF I was doing and asked if I was alright. That was some good driving, I was sure you would hit me. Good, hell, I was holding on and praying.

Good safety chains are more better.
Mike, as I read this story, it was just like hearing you telling it in a parking lot, or at a campsite...
Glad you were able to stop in time, to tell the story.

Yep. I don't understand the concept either and have no explanation for the picture. It's just something I saw on the Internet and remembered this thread
smile.png

So I finally got the hitch painted a few weeks back and got it put on today. Also took some pictures of how I setup a plug for the trailer lights. The power converter is the Hopkins unit that isolates the trailer circuit from the bike's lights. I also built a harness that plugs into the factory connector for the tail lights so nothing was cut up. Seems I don't have a picture of that though.

DSC_9080_zpsjxevq0fb.jpg

DSC_9081_zpsugw0kek0.jpg

DSC_9083_zpsy8ym3dka.jpg
DSC_9074_zpsvgupfhzb.jpg

DSC_9076_zps0nnuogl3.jpg

Anyone ever heard of or seen a FJR towing another bike? Maybe a SM, or a sportbike? I know of a guy that hauls 2 supermotos with a Goldwing. Not sure of the hitch attachment and setup, but his rig definitely carries 400+ pounds thousands of miles...and he's only got 300 more cc's right?

Anyone ever heard of or seen a FJR towing another bike? Maybe a SM, or a sportbike? I know of a guy that hauls 2 supermotos with a Goldwing. Not sure of the hitch attachment and setup, but his rig definitely carries 400+ pounds thousands of miles...and he's only got 300 more cc's right?
I have no experience towing with a motorcycle, but I've always wondered about stopping. At some point, it seems that towed weight could overpower the brakes on a bike. Is there some provision for brakes on the trailer?

Latest posts